Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Belly flab

I have been concerned about my liver and am wondering if I am developing ascites, or fluid retention in the lower abdomen,  My belly is not the benzo belly that is posted so much about, but it is thick and flabby.  I have lost 40 lbs in the last 6 months.  the lasat time i weighed as much as I do now i did not look like this. My belly is like clay.  I can mold it and it stays there for a few seconds and drrops down again.  My weight does not fluctuate that much so i dont think i am retaining water.  I try to keep my sodium under 2000 mgs daily. 

Yes I ahave a horrible giggle flabb

I'm pretty sure this is water retention and fat gain from higher cortisol, which most of us likely have because it's excreted during times of high stress. The body increases blood sugar ability to protect itself, resulting in fat gain, etc.

I had this badly - and before this, you could see my abs.  I was in shape.  I didnt' eat any differently.

The good news is - that as you heal and cortisol seems to lessen and you're not having that morning anxiety, etc., the belly fat just naturally starts going away. Mine is finally -and I haven't done anything different.  Just healing has helped.

I started taking vitamin B complex a few months ago - and that did coincide with the decrease in belly fat.  B is supposed to help the adrenals (along with vitamin C) so I think this is very much related for me.

Hope this helps.

I've managed to lower my cortisol levels to within normal range in the past few months. Yet I still have the belly flab. Even my arms have gotten so flabby I can play with them like a guitar. I use to be so fit and had a ton of muscles. It's very discouraging I must say.

iwant- I seem to be in the middle of my recovery it seems... Not tortured anymore, but not healed yet.

That's great! I'm doing much better these last few days

[58...]

Hey guys. I am really frustrated with my flabby belly, I am 28 and have always been small framed, fit, and thin. I am gaining all this flabby fat in my mid section and have no idea how to stop it. I am trying to cut down on carbs but I feel starving when I do that. I also exercise everyday... What am I doing wrong? I've never had to deal with this before... Thanks

It seems to be a common thing to gain a tonne of weight during wd. I gained 20 pounds during wd but I was able to drop that weight again within a month following a carb free diet. Since dumping the diet, the weight has not returned. In short, you are not doing anything wrong, your body is just finding ways to fill the void of missing the benzos.  :)

Steamed asperagus and cantelope are my diuretic, fiber super foods.  If you are retaining water, asperagus is a miracle food. Only problem is your pee will also smell like asperagus, but only briefly and it's a small price to pay :) 

Asparagus really is a good diuretic wish I liked it  :( I have forced myself in the past to eat it for health and weightloss. My mother loved asparagus so I would have it occasionally growing up too. I know "that smell" actually the tips only with a little butter really aren't to bad. funny thing - now I'm craving it  ;D

• 4 months later...