Important Survey - Please Participate ×

titration schedule for daytime clono

[so...]

Hi: I think I'm doing this right....I needed a schedule for titration for my daytime clono...

I tryed the crossover for my bedtime Ativan however didn't do well....would it be possible to titrate them separately or give the crossover another go?

I have the 100ml cylinder

and dropper...

If I was to reduce 10% of .25 clono how long would it take?

I'm down to .4 or less of Ativan at bedtime...

Thanks

SW007

SW -

Whether you titrate the ativan or try again with crossing over to valium is up to you.  If I were in your position, I'd probably go with titrating it.  Since ativan is shorter acting than the klono, I think you would do best titrating off the ativan first and then titrating the klono. 

If you decide you want to titrate either or both of your benzos, you will need to provide the following information for whichever one(s) you will be titrating:

Start date: when you would like your titration to start.

Dose: the dose you anticipate you be taking at the start date (in mgs).

Tablet dose: the dose of your individual tablets.

Number of tablets: the total number (and/or fractions) of tablets you take per day. Examples: 2 tabs; 2.5 tabs; 0.75 tabs. These are the number of tablets (not doses), and the tablets used must be of the same dosage (strength).

Taper rate: if you are unsure, ask for the input of others. The majority of people probably titrate at a rate of about 10% of their dose every 7-14 days. If you are unsure of where to start, and unless you have good reason to think you need a particularly slow taper, 1% per day is probably a good starting point. The taper plan can be altered later if need be.

Cylinder details: I will need to know the size of the cylinder you are using (100ml is recommended). I will also need to know that size of the marked increments. Just make sure that there enough increments for the given cylinder to ensure that the pill can be divided into small fractions (100ml cylinder with 1ml increments is always fine; 100ml with 2-5 increments is probably fine; 50ml with 5ml increments is not very useful). If you are using very large dose pills (for your given benzo), such as 10mg Valium or 2mg Xanax, you will absolutely need lots of increments. This usually means a 100ml cylinder with 1ml increments.

Hi Beeper and Colin:

Would it be possible to titrate both benzos at the same time?

I take the Atian before bed, and if I titrated that one first, I would have nothing to help me sleep?

Thanks for your patience!!!!!!

SW007

Hi Colin: Here is my information...

Start date: April 7th

Dose: .25 Clono Daytime (split in 2 does of .125  at 8am/4pm)

.4 Ativan (I've been shaving off a bit of half of a 1mg tab)

Tablet Dose: .25 Clono (yes, we have that dose in Canada!)

1mg Ativan (I cut it in half to .5)

Taper rate: 1%  each day

Clylinder: 100ml in 1ml increments.

I hope this is complete....this is my first attempt so please bear with me!

SW007

Are you planning to just use titration for Clono and maintain the Ativan? 

I don't know if we write titration schedules for more than one benzo at a time. 

Hi Colin: Here is my information...

Start date: April 7th

Dose: .25 Clono Daytime (split in 2 does of .125  at 8am/4pm)

.4 Ativan (I've been shaving off a bit of half of a 1mg tab)

Tablet Dose: .25 Clono (yes, we have that dose in Canada!)

1mg Ativan (I cut it in half to .5)

Taper rate: 1%  each day

Clylinder: 100ml in 1ml increments.

I hope this is complete....this is my first attempt so please bear with me!

SW007

Hi,

The 0.25mg Klonopin tablets - are they wafers? If so, my understanding is that they are not guaranteed to have their dose evenly distributed throughout the wafer - this makes them unsuitable for splitting, as most or all of your dose might be in one part of the wafer, and little or non in the rest. They can, of course, be used in titration, as all of the wafer will be used. I'll reply to the rest of your questions later.

HI Colin: Thankyou for your response....Yes, the tablets are .25 tablets not wafers, which we have here in Canada.

The main thing now is the 2 benzo issue, having .4 Ativan before bed and .125 of Clono twice a day.

As you can see the majority of my dosage is before bed, as suggested by Ashton, however I've also been told to keep steady dosages throughout the day to maintain blood levels. What are your thoughts about this?

I appreciate your patience in this, as I am determined to come up with a solution for this, and I've decided that titration will be the smoothest way to finish my taper.

Thanks

SW007

Hi Songwriter,

So, if I understand correctly, you use 0.25mg Klonopin tablets, and you take two doses of 0.125mg (a total of 0.25mg per day). In addition, you use 1mg Ativan tablets, and take about 0.4mg per day.

I don't think you need a full titration schedule - your situation is actually more simple than it might first appear.

I suggest that you first taper off the Ativan, and once completed, then taper off the Klonopin.

Take a whole Ativan tablet (1mg), crush this up (as per the titration instructions), and add this to 100ml of milk. Because you are using a whole 1mg pill (as apposed to 0.4mg - your present dose), your starting starting dose is just 40ml from the 100ml of liquid. Simply drink 1ml less of the liquid each day. So, day1, drink 39ml; day2 38ml; day3 37ml; and so on. This is little faster than the 1% a day you suggested, but it is near enough.

Because you are using less than half the liquid from the 100ml you make up, you can make the liquid last two days, of course. Later, when you reach 33ml per day, you could make the 100ml stretch to three days. However, I probably would not keep the liquid for any longer than three days (when your dose lowers even further) because it is likely to be sour, and could even make you ill.

Once off the Ativan, start to taper the Klonopin. Add a whole 0.25ml pill to 100ml, and drink just 98ml on the first day, and drop by a further 2ml each day. So, day1 98ml; day2 96ml; day3 94ml; and so on.

This whole schedule will take about 90 days - about 1.1% per day.

Keep a diary so that you don't lose track of your dose.

Good luck.

Hi Colin: Thankyou so much for your suggestions.

I just have a few further questions when you have the time.

1) You suggested tapering the Ativan first? However if I taper that first, which I take  before bed, I probably will not be able to sleep, as opposed to tapering the daytime doseage first, and save it for last? (I can see your logic in tapering the Ativan first, as it has a shorter half life, however, the dose before bed helps me sleep.) Would it make sense to switch the Ativan to daytime and taper it then?

2) I've been tapering since Jan from 1mg Clono and .5 of Ativan.....You mentioned 90 days to taper the remaining amount....Could I taper both simultaneously at a faster rate, and hold if things get rough with w/x?

I don't mean to be splitting hairs on this, however I just want to find the best solution, and BB is my best resource at this point!

Thankyou

SW007

Hi,

You can either gradually switch your meds around (but you should discuss this your doctor), or you could taper the Ativan first, or both at the same time. If you are keeping to your present regimen (probably the simplest option), then, in your shoes, I would taper the Ativan and Klonopin at the same time. But, don't remove 1ml each from both drugs. Rather, reduce the amount by 1ml each of them on alternate days. Just keep a log of what you are doing so that you don't loose track. This means that you still will take 90 days to quit. ;)

Hi Colin: Thankyou for your suggestions...I think the simplest option is to continue as I've been doing as my body is used to this ....I'm experiencing some sensitivity to sound and tinnitus, and hope this subsides when I am off the benzos!....

Other than that, It's been fairly smooth, so I may slightly step up my taper, then wait a few days to see how my body is handling the rate....

Thanks again!

SW007