Dangerous dump diagnoses

[sp...]

After going through every doc in my town, I went to a major teaching hospital with vertigo, muscle spasms, nausea, ringing of the ears, severe DP/DR and they concluded Somataform Disorder. In other words, some kind of unresolved anxiety was causing the symptoms. Which is BS of course.

I don't blame them in the sense that they are not trained, but the klonopin was right there in the chart and it meant nothing to them. It's just a massive level of ignorance in the medical field.

Somataform is a dump diagnosis if there ever was one...

Im reading this thread and feeling that old rage bubble up. Thought it had gone down the drain but noooooo, it hasnt.

I was in interdose withdrawal for years, really. And no one even thought of this, not my shrink, not my medical doctor, not any of the many doctors and surgeons I met up with along the way. My life was going down the tubes and no one ever made that critical connection. And nor did I!

At the very end, what precipitated my cold turkey, my medical doc noticed something and apparently did see that the various drugs I was on were contributing. He enigineered what then transpired, and part of me will always be grateful but another part is just damn angry, because no

one, no one, should ever be pushed into a cold turkey  after 12 years of using a benzo. But it happened and here I am 8 monthes later, still feeling totally ill and nearly incapacitated. And now, I face the fact that theres no medical professional in my life that knows why  Im such a mess.....if I told them, Id be written off as an anxiety-ridden older woman with "undiagnosed psych problems, as the patient refuses to get help.

I needed my doctor to fill out some forms for me to keep my drivers license. He wrote "The patient did not seek appropriate care for her addiction" on the form. Huh? Just where was I going to find "appropriate" care? Btw, he did "approve" my driving now, but only because I no longer take Klonapin....and next week, I have to prove it to the drivers license people by taking another driving test.

I just hope nothing bad happens to me that Id need medical care any time soon.

Soory - Im in one of those pensive, down moods today....thanks for listening.

east

After going through every doc in my town, I went to a major teaching hospital with vertigo, muscle spasms, nausea, ringing of the ears, severe DP/DR and they concluded Somataform Disorder. In other words, some kind of unresolved anxiety was causing the symptoms. Which is BS of course.

I don't blame them in the sense that they are not trained, but the klonopin was right there in the chart and it meant nothing to them. It's just a massive level of ignorance in the medical field.

Somataform is a dump diagnosis if there ever was one...

Very unfortunate, but at least we're the lucky ones to have gained some wisdom. Hopefully some will read this thread who are early in the process.  I see you're just a couple months post benzo.  You might want to check out the post benzo freedom withdrawal support thread here in withdrawal support section of forum.

Best,

Vertigo