• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [je...]

• [ha...]

• [Fr...]

I'm so behind, sorry!

Thank you so much Jack, for your selfless time and expertise!

And thank you Colin, for your continued dedication and 'never-say-die' attitude.  :socool:  :smitten:

And the new forum looks wonderful!!

Hi,

I thought members would like to know what's been happening since the forum upgrade, and why there are delays in reintroducing features, such as the chat room, shoutbox, arcade, etc.

Since we upgraded the forum software last weekend, the team and members have noticed intermittent server hangs which can last a minute or more, and these hangs can continue over a few hours. A few nights ago, Jack, our Developer, switched database engine types to something more suitable for a large forum such as ours (to improve performance). However, a day or so later, we noticed some problems with the database dropping topic titles (later repaired through forum maintenance functions). On the face of it, the switch in engine types is not connected with the database problems, and switching is even recommended by the forum software developers. However, as a precaution, Jack switched back engine types until he can fully evaluate the cause of problem.

Because of the intermittent load spikes, I decided to temporarily halt the rebuilding of the search index (I had removed the old one before switching to SMF2 to free up space to aid the forum upgrade). The automated rebuild of the search index has been extremely slow - far slower than I anticipated (it has been going on for days, and is only half completed). More problematic, because there is not yet a search 'index', when members performed searches, this would cause intensive queries of the database, significantly adding to server load. So, I disabled the ability of members and guests to use the search facility until things are back to normal. These measures have helped some, but the spikes in load have continued.

Anyway, I just thought you all would appreciate the update, and would like the reassurance that these systems and facilities will return shortly. It just would not be sensible to reintroduce these features while there underlying (but resolvable) problems with forum stability. It might all boil down to a perfect storm of circumstances; there has also been heavy indexing over the past few days by search engines, and from my conversations with the web host, the automated daily site backups seem to coincide with the times when we have noticed most problems. But, as I explained, it would not be sensible to proceed with adding back the chat room, etc., until we have resolved the root cause. But, we will get there.

Thank you.

Colin, thank you for keeping us posted about the progress, it's much appreciated. Thanks to you and Jack for all the work you're putting into it as well. :thumbsup:

From New Zealand, way down under I thank you  Colin for all your hard work on this site. It is appreciated by all who use it. Go well my friend. Cheers,Wal

Thank you Colin for all you do! I don't know what I would do without Benzobuddies! I appreciate all the hours and money that you are putting in to keep the site up and running.

Frannie

Hi,

Yes, there were problems around that time - I was monitoring it as it occurred.

Frannie I agree with you on that one..Thank you colin so much

Mishi

• 1 month later...

I see Colin logged in a lot and know that he is working on the site. We will have a lot of new members now that Trap is closed down. Thank you Colin, administrators and moderators for Benzo Buddies. I don't know what I'd do without you.

Frannie