Xanax support. Please advise?

[da...]

Oh my....here is my twin.  I had a very similar situation....

xanax for about 2 weeks (BUT I'm an recoving alcoholic, which I think made everything worse for my brain)

Tried to stop got sick after a few hours...so starting cutting...did it really fast down to .20 from .1 than all hell broke lose. Dry cutting was about impossible and my body was wanting it more often and I could not keep up...

Long story short my reg. doctor finally saw me after my 1st dose, and put me on Klonopin I have been doing a tritaion water/pill since March!?

Noone believes me either I'm sure!

I wish I had saw this earlier..the more time on it the worse!! My regret was I did not get put on Val./Klon. right away!!

I was really suffering form the back lash everyday and it only got worse....

I would get off the xanax and find a long acting benzo..LIKE TOMORROW!!!!

GL  HUGS to u I know how u feel!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [da...]

• [Ni...]

• [fi...]

• [ba...]

Yeah you're right Nicolette. It's calmed now. But the amping up is SUPER intense in comparison to my regular panic/anxiety attacks =/ Thats why I get nervous about it. The only reason I want to drop is because I don't see the 0.875 doing a lot for me. But I guess the flip side is there might be more waves with the .75. I also did eat more then I usually eat today, because I'm trying to force myself to eat. I had low sodium Minestrone soup and some veggies and Organic Greek yogurt with pineapple. I guess it could have caused a wave like this. I did have one like it when I had Carrots and sugar snap peas one day early into this. I've heard the digestive system has GABA receptors in it as well, which would explain the spike.

In fact a lot of my anxiety tends to start with me feeling it in my stomach. Mostly in the morning.

Thanks for the comment as well Hope1. I'll try it this way for only a bit longer, but i might have to go longer acting. I'm not sure yet. I'm willing to go through a little hell if it's not dangerous to me.

Please help me stay strong. Thank you guys for everything. <3

I must be a triplet Hope!  Not sure if it's anything to do with you being a recovering alcoholic.  I am not but had an identical reaction to Xanax.  I was also on for 2 weeks.

My doctor put me on a very fast Valium wean for 12 days.  Not very happy days lay ahead but am almost there now ... much much better from 6 1/2 months.

I so agree re. A long-acting benzo.

Angel

I knew some short-term users of Xanax would show up! :thumbsup: I was just reading tonight about Xanax being one of the more quickly addicting (physical wise) benzos, second only to Halcion, because of it's high potency and short-half life. The good news for all of you is it is far better that you were on it only  a short time.

I think as you said Angel, the reason you've had a hard time is because the doctor did too quick of a taper from the Valium.

Actually in my case, I had asked my doctor to switch me to Valium when I found the Ashton Manual. It's hard to find a doctor who will cross you to Valium in the US, so I tapered down on the Xanax as far as I could go, then my doctor switched me to Tranxene (apparently they don't mind prescribing that one). It's a long acting benzo that is even lower potency than Valium and I don't get inter-dose withdrawal as bad, but it does make me slightly depressed.

The important thing is too go slowly on whatever benzo you're tapering. It seems counter-intuitive--after you find out the side effects and everything else about benzos--to go slow, because a part of you says, I want off this ASAP, but from the majority of people I've seen, their w/d symptoms are milder when they do a slow taper.

Some people seem to have more issues with their stomach from this, I don't happen to be one of them. Hang in there.

Thanks for your support and insight Nicolette.  Hang in there strong too - depression from these meds is awful but you will get through.

Angel

In really bad shape right now, had to reinstate the 1mg dose. Even now, my heart is pounding harder and faster than I've felt in a long time, it feels harder than when I had bad anxiety. I'm thinking maybe I don't get through this without reinstating an SSRI or something of the like. I was on Lexapro months ago and went off C/T. Didn't have these type of symptoms though. My heart would be fast and a bit hard, but I could deal with it, and some parethesia. But this is intense hard. I fear for my life. =/ My BP machine seems to think it's fine, but I don't know, sometimes I think it's being done wrong cause I've had it done at the hospital when it feels a little less pounding then this and it was 132/92. =/

I'm a bigger guy but usually my BP was always around normal because I didn't lead a sedentary life. I worked my butt off at my old job for a year and a half. Did it purposely so I would stay in good shape. Hell I had pneumonia(milder case) and I didn't feel as bad as I do now =/

It's hard to hang in there... :(

In really bad shape right now, had to reinstate the 1mg dose. Even now, my heart is pounding harder and faster than I've felt in a long time, it feels harder than when I had bad anxiety. I'm thinking maybe I don't get through this without reinstating an SSRI or something of the like. I was on Lexapro months ago and went off C/T. Didn't have these type of symptoms though. My heart would be fast and a bit hard, but I could deal with it, and some parethesia. But this is intense hard. I fear for my life. =/ My BP machine seems to think it's fine, but I don't know, sometimes I think it's being done wrong cause I've had it done at the hospital when it feels a little less pounding then this and it was 132/92. =/

I'm a bigger guy but usually my BP was always around normal because I didn't lead a sedentary life. I worked my butt off at my old job for a year and a half. Did it purposely so I would stay in good shape. Hell I had pneumonia(milder case) and I didn't feel as bad as I do now =/

It's hard to hang in there... :(

If it were me, I would stay at the 1mg dose then and ask my doctor to cross me over to Valium or Tranxene. You can bring a copy of the Ashton Manual and let them know that you want to go on a longer-acting benzo and taper down from there. It's hard to taper on a high potency short-acting benzo period.

Honestly SSRI's do not have the same chemicals in them that benzos do, so I don't know how well that would help with benzo withdrawal.

Your anxiety is probably worse right now because of a rebound effect from withdrawal and probably because you are worried.

Here's the link to the Ashton Manual:

www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

If your doctor doesn't want to work with you on this I would try to find a second opinion. --And tell him/her you do not like to have to be worried about your BP and heart pounding while you withdrawal.

I hope this helps, we're here for you.  :mybuddy:

Thank you Angel, for your support and insight too.

It's come down a bit now. I'm thinking of maybe doing it with the split 3 doses instead of 2 and trying from there. I think its because of the short half-life that its coming down hard, since I've been splitting doses by 12 hours each.

Anyways, I think I'll try .5 in morning, .25 midday, .25 at night, stabilize, then drop a bit. It's not a race right now, right?

That sounds like a good plan to go to the 3 doses. Xanax is known for giving people inter-dose withdrawal because of the short half-life it has.

I'm glad you are feeling better, and you're right it's not a race. You've been on the Xanax a short time and doing a slow taper with a longer half-life benzo you should have minimal withdrawal symptoms.

Do you think your doctor will work with you on this?

I doubt it. I had a hard time having him even agree to do a minor taper. He was suggesting one that was way too fast. I'll see how this goes. I might institute an SSRI because I think maybe it has a little to do with the withdrawal as well. I don't know.

I was hoping to go pill free. But I mean, I took SSRI/SNRI's for almost 10 years, though i abused them, and often skipped doses with minimal consequence. I know I have only myself to blame for the mess I'm in. =/

I think if you find the taper of Xanax intolerable, you really should insist your doctor gives you a longer-acting benzo as Hope and Nicolette also recommend.

My short-time on Xanax was awful and even though I tapered quickly from V it was far more bearable.

See how you go and keep posting.

Angel

I'm a recovering alcoholis that has been thru w.d.'s for years...but the xanax was impossible for me...

I started at 1 time a day....and at the end before getting my doctor on bored (just 2weeks) I was at a chip every 5 hours...it was just nuts!

I have a feeling I'm going to have to even go up further. This 1mg isn't working anymore. Either that or plead to supplement it with Valium. I can see my doctor even being po'd that I'm still on the drug! (his rapid taper ends very soon). Unbareable back pain, racing heart, pounding heart, I just feel like any moment could be my last. Legs feel stiff and are burning. I wish I would have just dealt with the Ativan withdrawal. That at least would probably have been coming around by now. This isn't at all.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to even go up further. This 1mg isn't working anymore. Either that or plead to supplement it with Valium. I can see my doctor even being po'd that I'm still on the drug! (his rapid taper ends very soon). Unbareable back pain, racing heart, pounding heart, I just feel like any moment could be my last. Legs feel stiff and are burning. I wish I would have just dealt with the Ativan withdrawal. That at least would probably have been coming around by now. This isn't at all.

Hey darkskywaves,

Since Xanax does have a short half-life that means it has a short duration of action. I think that's why right after you take your dose, you feel okay, and then when it wears off you start going through withdrawal. I would ask my doctor to switch to Valium or Tranxene. It really helps for the break-through anxiety you seem to be going through. It's your right to be involved in your healthcare along with your doctor. I'm not sure why your doctor switched you from Ativan to Xanax, Xanax is more difficult to taper than Ativan. Maybe you can talk to him about switching to Ativan to taper from. And I would definitely talk to him about not wanting to have unbearable symptoms.

Feeling like any moment could be your last is not something you need to tolerate. I would make an appointment with my doctor and talk to him frankly about needing to find a different solution.

We're here for you.  :mybuddy:

Well I dont think he had any intention of tapering the Ativan it was for short term use. But after I ran out naturally, I had really bad symptoms.

I didn't even actually go to the doctor I was bedstricken. My father did, and thats what he prescribed. (Assume because he knew it was more powerful than Ativan). Is there any reputable place I can get the Valium online maybe? I doubt it, but I mean. If I have to reach to that as a resort if he or others don't cooperate(I know the two Psychs in town, and both are hard arses and would tell me to deal with it.) I dont know. Or I guess I could just deal with the BP rise. I dont know. Ive seen others that tapered off Xanax had similar problems with BP rise but they ended up fine after a while. I might stick it out with the .875 in smaller doses three times a day instead of the 1mg.(Havent taken it all yet, not bed time yet, :P)

Stuck on the 0.875 tonight. I have a feeling I'm not going to bed anytime soon =/ It's not working. I'm scared to go to bed with my heart pounding hard and my back really sore =\ My jaw also felt a bit sore as well. Should I just take more Xanax? I don't want to but I don't want to go through all of these symptoms =\ It's really bad right now :(

Go to ER or another doctor and GET a long acting benzo......I have seen people on here order Val. off line!!! TRY THAT!

As hope1 has stated, it would be better to go to ER or find another doctor and get a long acting benzo.

If it were me, I would not order a benzo online. In some cases it could be illegal, as well, you do not always know what you are getting.

I feel ill today. Like I have a flu =\ I forced myself to sleep last night. I think I'll give it some time before I really worry. Besides, I can taper for two weeks if my body needs to adjust, right? I guess I jumped too quickly. I just don't see myself getting the help I'd want from anywhere here. And I'm not in shape yet to ask for it. I stopped drinking meal replacements, maybe that will help. I was drinking two a day cause I havent been eating a whole lot. Might be the sugar amping up the symptoms. The way I see it, I'm not going to get out of this without dealing with a lot. So I have to be strong either way. I've got enough money and the months to spare(Thankfully, I saw something coming, but not this of course.) And people in my corner like you guys and my parents. I'm going to give it a shot.

Dear Dark,

I want to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

I know that you are struggling right now.

You and I share the quality of being tenacious.

Sometimes this state helps me to succeed and sometimes it keeps me stuck.

When you are ready to move forward, I believe you have wise suggestions from your BB's.

Whether it is a new doctor or not, I second (and third and fourth) the motion of getting onto a longer-acting benzo.

For your comfort, I hope this is sooner than later.

Many hugs from your Buddy,

:) KL

I feel ill today. Like I have a flu =\ I forced myself to sleep last night. I think I'll give it some time before I really worry. Besides, I can taper for two weeks if my body needs to adjust, right? I guess I jumped too quickly. I just don't see myself getting the help I'd want from anywhere here. And I'm not in shape yet to ask for it. I stopped drinking meal replacements, maybe that will help. I was drinking two a day cause I havent been eating a whole lot. Might be the sugar amping up the symptoms. The way I see it, I'm not going to get out of this without dealing with a lot. So I have to be strong either way. I've got enough money and the months to spare(Thankfully, I saw something coming, but not this of course.) And people in my corner like you guys and my parents. I'm going to give it a shot.

Hey darkskywaves,

I'm sorry you feel like you have the flu. It's usually best to hold where you are at when you're feeling sick, so I think you are making the right decision, to not worry and just take care of yourself. We're here for you.  :mybuddy:

Im having a hell of a day today =/ Headache, weakness, pounding heart, feeling faint. It's taking all the strength I have not to take more Xanax, But I mean, whats the point? I'd get worse and have even more problems coming off of it. But at least it wouldn't feel like I'm dying. =/ This is definitely the worst I can say I've ever felt in my life.

I'm thinking this must be because I took the 2.5 mg that one day and then went straight to 1 mg the next. Even when I didnt take them for a while, that 33 hrs. I felt fine. And that was from taking .5 that day. I can't say I felt interdose withdrawal at all. But just that each day it's been getting progressively worse. =/ At this rate though, even little movements I make in BED make my heart pound and make me feel weak. I don't know how I'm going to get to my doctor to plea with him to put me on something LA if thats the route I have to go. IF I knew I wasn't going to have a seizure or suffer long term repercussions, I'd just suffer through this the way I am now, but I'm afraid :(

Im having a hell of a day today =/ Headache, weakness, pounding heart, feeling faint. It's taking all the strength I have not to take more Xanax, But I mean, whats the point? I'd get worse and have even more problems coming off of it. But at least it wouldn't feel like I'm dying. =/ This is definitely the worst I can say I've ever felt in my life.

I'm thinking this must be because I took the 2.5 mg that one day and then went straight to 1 mg the next. Even when I didnt take them for a while, that 33 hrs. I felt fine. And that was from taking .5 that day. I can't say I felt interdose withdrawal at all. But just that each day it's been getting progressively worse. =/ At this rate though, even little movements I make in BED make my heart pound and make me feel weak. I don't know how I'm going to get to my doctor to plea with him to put me on something LA if thats the route I have to go. IF I knew I wasn't going to have a seizure or suffer long term repercussions, I'd just suffer through this the way I am now, but I'm afraid :(

Hey darkskywaves,

It's extremely rare to have a seizure from being on a low dose of a benzo for a short period of time. I know you are feeling ill, and I'm so sorry to hear that. My heart goes out to you.

I have a lot of experience with Xanax, and I know when I didn't know better, I would go up and down on my dose, it would make me have all kinds of symptoms. If it were me, I would try to stay on the same dose at the same time everyday and be very pro-active about finding a medical professional who will help you move to a longer-acting benzo. Also, you should go to your doctor and explain that you feel very uncomfortable about your heart pounding. We cannot diagnose you here, you should have your doctor give you a complete check-up to rule anything else out. We're here to support you through this, but it would be a good idea to get your doctor on board with a plan to get you feeling better. take care. :therethere:

But in the end i shouldnt up my dose right? i dont imagine a bp rise for a few days would cause major harm? i think i need my doctor to calibrate my BP monitor. Just to be certain i'm getting proper readings. I guess in the end, there hasn't been any numbers that have been OUTLANDISHLY dangerous. My headache right now though, is killer. Can I take any tylenol or anything? I'm not sure about the interactions with Xanax. I know it's good not to take NSAIDs(I haven't taken Advil in years due to being on SSRIs).

I'm wondering too if the Lexapro is causing this. I haven't taken any in regular dosage for quite some time, but I didn't have any major withdrawal from it other than the usual paresthesia and a little heart pounding(But not bed ridden feeling like this). I also hardly ever get headaches unless its a tension headache.