Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Big mistake - took Ambien after completing Xanax taper

[Sa...]

Hello,

I just took Ambien three nights in a row a little over two weeks after a difficult Xanax taper. I had no idea it would bring the nightmare back. It turns out the Ambien I was taking is somehow listed as equivalent to the full dose of Alprazolam I'd just tapered down from.

Has anyone else made this mistake?

Do I need to restart my taper? Or will I recover again if I just don't take any more?

Please help,

Sam

Hi Sam,

Sorry for what you are experiencing.  Dr. Ashton does address this type of circumstance.  Benzodiazepines are used for such things as surgery and dental procedures.  She goes on to say that these types of temporary uses do not throw off a taper and is not considered reinstatement.  I believe your situation is similar and you will be fine.  Sleep can be a problem during w/d and its best to avoid anything but natural remedies.  Your sxs my be heightened for a little while after the last three days but they should subside. 

Christopher

Yep, 10 mgs of Ambien is the equivalent of .25 mgs of Xanax, scary huh?  You just gave your body another taste of benzo, and you're paying for it, but it should be short lived, at least the really intense stuff. 

Ok, that's it for me. I broke down and took 20 percent of my original does of Xanax last night (two nights after the sleeping pills), but it didn't help at all anyway. I am never taking any of this stuff ever again. We'll see if I can make it!

Thank you Christopher and Pamster!

Sam

Of course you're going to make it!  You've done some experimenting and found out there really isn't any relief in going back to the drug, and you know what that leaves, right?  TIME, it's the only thing that will help you feel better; it's cheap and it's available and doesn't have to be prescribed by a Dr.  ;)

Hello,

I just took Ambien three nights in a row a little over two weeks after a difficult Xanax taper. I had no idea it would bring the nightmare back. It turns out the Ambien I was taking is somehow listed as equivalent to the full dose of Alprazolam I'd just tapered down from.

Has anyone else made this mistake?

Do I need to restart my taper? Or will I recover again if I just don't take any more?

Please help,

Sam

A few months ago I went to Europe and in order to get on the plane I took 10 mg. of Valium. I had been off xanax since Oct 2009.  When I got there I was so exausted from being up almost 24 hr. so I took a sleeping pill!  Well it hit me full blast about 4 days later!  I felt awful, all the old bad w/d symptoms came back as if they had never eased up.  Unfortunately I needed to come home so I had no choice but to take the 10mg of Valium for my return trip.

At first I thought OMG what have I done?  Then little by little I felt myself feeling better and now I am back to where I was before going away!

So don't worry Sam, YOU WILL RECOVER!

Hi Sam,

How are you feeling today?

I did the same exact thing and have been in hell for two weeks!

It started a whole host of major anxiety, pacing the house,

major mood swings and a whole host of stuff sadly.

I hope this settles down for me. 

I hope you are doing better.

Tink