Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Questions re doxepin (Sinequan) for insomnia - What dose did your doc Rx?

[Kl...]

My doc said I could try low dose Seroquel (12.5 mg.) or doxepin liquid 10 drops (gtt) at bedtime and see which one works effectively with the least amount of hangover.  This has been my problem with the adjunct meds used for insomnia.  I get really bad hangovers the next day. 

I tried Seroquel last night (had been on it for a long time and discontinued it in July) 12.5 mg.  It worked fine, but leaves me a bit "hungover". 

I am thinking of trying doxepin liquid tonight.  The concentration is 10 mg/ml.  My doc said to try 10 drops (gtt) at bedtime.  There are 15 drops in a mililiter so this is slightly less than 10 mg. 

For those who have tried doxepin, I would appreciate knowing what dose you were prescribed and how it worked for you along with any side effects (other than the obvious).

Thanks so much.  :) Laurie

I have tried both Seroquel and Doxepine and seemed to be groggy from both the next day.  The amount of grogginess decreased with the dose.  When I was last on Doxepin (which contains a potent antihistamine) I was on 10 mg.  This did keep any allergies at bay and I fell asleep pretty quickly after taking it (once in the evening).  It did increase my appetite and made my vision a little blurry.  However, I think the half-life may be shorter for Doxepin than Seroquel (though I'm not sure).  If so, then the grogginess from Doxepin (if you experience any) might go away sooner.

At any rate, I hope this helps.

(By the way, Doxepin was easier for me to come off of than Seroquel.  One caveat with Doxepin, however, is that you need to be careful taking it if you have breathing problems.  I took 25 mg. one morning and 25 mg. at night (per my doctor's OK) and it caused an asthma attack.  I do take an asthma inhaler, so I am trying to do more research on medicines before I take them.  I have learned not to take more than 25 mg. of Doxepin because of this).

fg

I have tried both Seroquel and Doxepine and seemed to be groggy from both the next day.  The amount of grogginess decreased with the dose.  When I was last on Doxepin (which contains a potent antihistamine) I was on 10 mg.  This did keep any allergies at bay and I fell asleep pretty quickly after taking it (once in the evening).  It did increase my appetite and made my vision a little blurry.  However, I think the half-life may be shorter for Doxepin than Seroquel (though I'm not sure).  If so, then the grogginess from Doxepin (if you experience any) might go away sooner.

At any rate, I hope this helps.

(By the way, Doxepin was easier for me to come off of than Seroquel.  One caveat with Doxepin, however, is that you need to be careful taking it if you have breathing problems.  I took 25 mg. one morning and 25 mg. at night (per my doctor's OK) and it caused an asthma attack.  I do take an asthma inhaler, so I am trying to do more research on medicines before I take them.  I have learned not to take more than 25 mg. of Doxepin because of this).

fg

Hi fg,

Hope your Halloween evening is going well.  Thanks so much for your response.

I am trying out 6 mg. of doxepin which is the same active medication as Silenor (available in 3 mg. or 6 mg. dosing with an indication of promoting sleep maintenance).  I have used it now for 2 nights with so-so results.  For me, it does nothing to induce sleep and it might, just might allow me to get some sleep during the night.  I am just not sure if I happen to be sleeping a tiny bit better or if it is the doxepin.

Silenor is very expensive and there is no reason to pay for an AD which has been out for a very long time and is available in a generic.  The liquid doxepin works well in order to get close to a 6 mg. dose.  It comes in a concentrate at 10 mg/ml.  My doc said to start out with 10 drops which probably comes close to 8 mg (check me on the math!). First I tried 10 drops and I had a vivid dream (horrible) which might have really been caused by forgetting a dose of Klonopin (yikes!).  I tried 6 drops and I think I need to up it a bit - maybe 8 drops.  This is a total experiment!

Thanks for getting back with me!  Hugs, :) Laurie

Hope you're starting to get some sleep, Laurie.  I haven't tried Silenor but I am familiar with it.  I went off of Doxepin at 10 mg.  My insurance, however, covered the bulk of the cost so it was pretty inexpensive for me while I was taking it.  It worked great for me from a sleep standpoint.

At any rate, hope you start sleeping better soon.

fg

Hope you're starting to get some sleep, Laurie.  I haven't tried Silenor but I am familiar with it.  I went off of Doxepin at 10 mg.  My insurance, however, covered the bulk of the cost so it was pretty inexpensive for me while I was taking it.  It worked great for me from a sleep standpoint.

At any rate, hope you start sleeping better soon.

fg

Thanks, fg.  I got a few solid hours in last night with doxepin 8 drops - slept about 4.5 hours, up 1.5 hours and back for 2 hours.  You can't beat that with a stick!  :) Laurie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fishing guy,

My doctor put me on 50 mg of Doxepin for sleep. I'm thinking of cutting it down, but I'm afraid of more w/d symptoms.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks so much !

For me, I was able to drop down to a 25 mg. capsule.  (If that doesn't work, you could try a 10 mg. and a 25 mg. capsule for a few days).  I had a little sleeplessness, but it didn't take me long to adjust.  In fact, I went from 25 mg. of Doxepin down to 10 mg. of Doxepin.  After taking 10 mg. for awhile, I just stopped.  (I think I had one or two nights where it took me a while to fall asleep, but that's it).

Of course, I was still on Paxil, so I'm sure that helped with the withdrawal.  At any rate, it was pretty easy for me to come off of it (easier than the SSRI's).  Hope this helps.

fg

Thanks fishingguy.

I have 25 mg capsules so I will start with that. I'm hoping I can just go down from 50 mg to 25 mg, because I don't have any 10 mg capsules.

I appreciate your quick response.

I'll let you know how it goes.