Important Survey - Please Participate ×

STILL SCARED TO DRIVE

[su...]

Since I have been tapering I am finding it hard to drive cause of fear, scared of dying and panic attacks. I wasnt like this before taking benzos.

You can overcome this.  Unfortunately I had the worst panic attack possible while driving.  Then I went from barely being able to be in a car, to driving around the block to get used to it, to driving with high anxiety, a couple months later driving others around in a van for work with high anxiety, to slowly being able to drive most of the time without anxiety.  I think there is always some anxiety with driving so it is tough, but can be overcome. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably my greatest concern in tapering from benzos so I do want a smooth, steady taper. I don't know if I'm scared to drive; I feel that it is unsafe for me to drive as I am putting both myself and others at risk because I don't have the right perception and response time to be a safe driver.

I went for almost 3 months without driving before I started clonazepam back in 2003. I was not comfortable driving due to vertigo or dizziness/ brain fog/ double or blurred vision and motion sickness. The neurologist looked for a vestibular disorder, but did not find one. He put me on benzos to help with the dizziness. This is something that is still episodic for me, but gets exacerbated as a withdrawal symptom and can bring on panic attacks at times.

Fortunately for me, I can telecommute when needed, but not for extended periods. I'm also too far from work to be able to car pool and I don't have back roads as an option.

I'm exactly the same as SlimSlim. Cog fog and perception so dulled I'm a menace behind the wheel. My wife does all the driving now and this has been going on for months. I am amazed that some can still work their jobs. I know I could not as I zone out at times.

I will only drive if I am having a semi-window day.  When you think about it, if you were to get into a wreck not only could it hurt someone else, but it would suck if you were to have a head injury after working so hard for all this time.  Better to be safe than sorry in my book!