Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

STILL SCARED TO DRIVE

[su...]

Since I have been tapering I am finding it hard to drive cause of fear, scared of dying and panic attacks. I wasnt like this before taking benzos.

You can overcome this.  Unfortunately I had the worst panic attack possible while driving.  Then I went from barely being able to be in a car, to driving around the block to get used to it, to driving with high anxiety, a couple months later driving others around in a van for work with high anxiety, to slowly being able to drive most of the time without anxiety.  I think there is always some anxiety with driving so it is tough, but can be overcome. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably my greatest concern in tapering from benzos so I do want a smooth, steady taper. I don't know if I'm scared to drive; I feel that it is unsafe for me to drive as I am putting both myself and others at risk because I don't have the right perception and response time to be a safe driver.

I went for almost 3 months without driving before I started clonazepam back in 2003. I was not comfortable driving due to vertigo or dizziness/ brain fog/ double or blurred vision and motion sickness. The neurologist looked for a vestibular disorder, but did not find one. He put me on benzos to help with the dizziness. This is something that is still episodic for me, but gets exacerbated as a withdrawal symptom and can bring on panic attacks at times.

Fortunately for me, I can telecommute when needed, but not for extended periods. I'm also too far from work to be able to car pool and I don't have back roads as an option.

I'm exactly the same as SlimSlim. Cog fog and perception so dulled I'm a menace behind the wheel. My wife does all the driving now and this has been going on for months. I am amazed that some can still work their jobs. I know I could not as I zone out at times.

I will only drive if I am having a semi-window day.  When you think about it, if you were to get into a wreck not only could it hurt someone else, but it would suck if you were to have a head injury after working so hard for all this time.  Better to be safe than sorry in my book!