Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

From 2 mg to 1.5 mg. Anyone do a slow taper and NOT have a long recovery after?

[ch...]

Dear BB,

I am now at 2 mg of Valium. I was very sick this week  :sick: after dropping my dose from 3 mg to 2 mg last week.  Last night I was so sick that I decided I couldn't drop my dose as planned tonight. Surprisingly I did not have that bad of a day today. I decided though to take a prudent route and drop by only .5 mg this week. Last week was hellish so I don't want a repeat of that. The reason though that I had been dropping by 1 mg instead of the .5 I had been doing is because I found that the difference in how sick I was wasn't proportional.

I know some people drop their dose every 5 days, some every 7. Is there a science behind it? if Valium has a half life up to 200 hours that is about 8 days I figure so I go with 7. Any thoughts? Anybody who did a slow taper and didn't have a LONG recovery afterwards??

I NEVER thought I would be this close to the end. I NEVER thought I would be off these medications Dr. threw at me instead of diagnosing me. (This all started with a bladder disease and snowballed out of control). I was on about 10 medications just 6 or so years ago and I have gone off almost all of them!! All were given to counteract symptoms from the first medication-- which wasn't even correct. I hope I don't feel bitter when this journey is done -- that I lost many years of my life to drugs I should not have been on in the first place.

An old friend called tonight and said you sound just like yourself, just like you used to! Music to my ears!!!

Wish me luck.

Happy Healing! :smitten:

LOVE,

Chrysanthemum :crazy:

Hi all. Chrysanthemum, your story sounds like my story. I was misdiagnosed and put on 17 drugs! Last night of clonazepam is tonght. Next taper will be the last, methadone.

Best wishes,

Bear

Hi all. Chrysanthemum, your story sounds like my story. I was misdiagnosed and put on 17 drugs! Last night of clonazepam is tonght. Next taper will be the last, methadone.

Best wishes,

Bear

omg I am so happy for you! Are you so excited?! I am going to be done in a month or so and then I am going to taper off the opana so maybe we can continue together! I don't know if I can completely get off it-- I had quite a back surgery two years ago and my pain Dr. thinks that I may always need some pain support. If I do, I do. I just want to see if I can get down further.

I really am so thrilled to hear that tonight is your last dose of clonazepam. That was what I was on too until I switched over to Valium in May! What was your misdiagnosis about? It is so crazy :idiot:

Good for you :thumbsup:

Love,

Chrysanthemum

Like your question, Chrysanthemum. Hoping this is the case for most. Am still tapering as slow as possible. Would love to know about the recovery afterwards. Take care, T2

Dear BB,

I am now at 2 mg of Valium. I was very sick this week  :sick: after dropping my dose from 3 mg to 2 mg last week.  Last night I was so sick that I decided I couldn't drop my dose as planned tonight. Surprisingly I did not have that bad of a day today. I decided though to take a prudent route and drop by only .5 mg this week. Last week was hellish so I don't want a repeat of that. The reason though that I had been dropping by 1 mg instead of the .5 I had been doing is because I found that the difference in how sick I was wasn't proportional.

I know some people drop their dose every 5 days, some every 7. Is there a science behind it? if Valium has a half life up to 200 hours that is about 8 days I figure so I go with 7. Any thoughts? Anybody who did a slow taper and didn't have a LONG recovery afterwards??

An old friend called tonight and said you sound just like yourself, just like you used to! Music to my ears!!!

Wish me luck.

LOVE,

Hi Chrys, I tapered on valium and my last month was mild compared to earlier times. I am guessing that you were taking too big a step....from 4mg V to 3mg V. I think you will do better with 0.5mg steps or 0.25 steps. Toward the end I tended to feel my cuts on days 7-9. Although on most days I had some morning symptoms. I cut every Sunday. I have only been FREE for a week but it has been mild and Monday, Thursday and Friday were good days. I got the liquid valium interstol for the 1.5mg level and down. I had 5mg/ml interstol and a 1ml syringe graduated in 0.1ml.

Hi Chrysanthemum. I had sciatica. That's all. This is how it went:

dx sciatica, rheumatoid arthritis,-given prednisone and many strong arthritis meds, narcotics for pain

dx sleep apnea, cpap-given ambien and xanax to sleep

dx asthma-given meds and inhalers

dx allergies, sinusitis-given many pills and nasal sprays

dx diabetes(due to weight gain, due to prednisone)-diabetes meds, strict diet

dx high cholesterol(due to weight gain, due to weight gain, due to meds) cholesterol meds, caused pain

dx high blood pressure(due to meds, weight gain) blood pressure pills made me sick

dx endometriosis, given hormones

dx vitamin d difficiency, given medicine

Got off all the meds,  one more to go. I don't have anything, except the original dx of sciatica.

Thanks for writing,

Bear

ct'd off ambien and xanax. Given ativan to stabilize. Didn't stabilize, switched to clonazepam. Done after tonight!

Hi Chrys,

I was just watching youtube video of Dr Heather Ashton. I love that woman! You know me..not nearly at a place to advise but listening to the Dr., she did say when getting to low doses..to go down to .5 mg...slow and steady..that's the way.

"if Valium has a half life up to 200 hours that is about 8 days I figure so I go with 7."

Valium has a half life of 20 hours..not 200...pretty darn sure of that so...just wanted to point that out.

You ARE doing great..you've come such along way

truly an inspiration! :)

I was happily surprised to hear her say that at the larger doses (above 5mg) i could try going down 2 mgs at a time..so we shall see..

Hi Chrysanthemum. I had sciatica. That's all. This is how it went:

dx sciatica, rheumatoid arthritis,-given prednisone and many strong arthritis meds, narcotics for pain

dx sleep apnea, cpap-given ambien and xanax to sleep

dx asthma-given meds and inhalers

dx allergies, sinusitis-given many pills and nasal sprays

dx diabetes(due to weight gain, due to prednisone)-diabetes meds, strict diet

dx high cholesterol(due to weight gain, due to weight gain, due to meds) cholesterol meds, caused pain

dx high blood pressure(due to meds, weight gain) blood pressure pills made me sick

dx endometriosis, given hormones

dx vitamin d difficiency, given medicine

Got off all the meds,  one more to go. I don't have anything, except the original dx of sciatica.

Thanks for writing,

Bear

ct'd off ambien and xanax. Given ativan to stabilize. Didn't stabilize, switched to clonazepam. Done after tonight!

I hear you sister! Did you know that benzo and opiate cause sleep apnea?? Ever since I was on both I couldn't get up in the morning which is terrible because I have three teenagers-young adults. I would be up until 2 waiting for the oldest and then up at 6 to get the youngest off to school. Then I would go back to sleep until 11 am and still be EXHAUSTED. Finally my pain Dr. realized and thus began my journey. I would wake up seemingly every 15 minutes in a panic. I just know realized how hellish that was and that it isn't as bad anymore. I will definitely keep in touch with you and I am truly very happy for your progress!

Love,

Like your question, Chrysanthemum. Hoping this is the case for most. Am still tapering as slow as possible. Would love to know about the recovery afterwards. Take care, T2

I hope that I have done a lot of the healing while I was lowering the dose and I hope that for you,too. I try not to spend a lot of time reading people's stories bc I found that they stayed in my head too long and also made me doubt myself. I know that people who recovered quickly have moved on but I hope it is possible.

HAPPY HEALING! :smitten: Love,

Dear BB,

Wish me luck.

LOVE,

Hi Chrys, I tapered on valium and my last month was mild compared to earlier times. I am guessing that you were taking too big a step....from 4mg V to 3mg V. I think you will do better with 0.5mg steps or 0.25 steps. Toward the end I tended to feel my cuts on days 7-9. Although on most days I had some morning symptoms. I cut every Sunday. I have only been FREE for a week but it has been mild and Monday, Thursday and Friday were good days. I got the liquid valium interstol for the 1.5mg level and down. I had 5mg/ml interstol and a 1ml syringe graduated in 0.1ml.

Were you on Benzo for a long time? I have been on them roughly 10-11 years... I was doing .5 mg cuts every 3 weeks (since my crossover to Valium)  bc I was so sick and finally when I did the math I was like omg I am going to be doing this for 34 more weeks at this pace so I have been doing 1 mg cuts since 5 mg until tonight. ( I did a fairly slow taper off of 1.5 mg since March of 2010 so I have been at this for a LONG time). I had also taken the summer off to really give myself a chance to heal. I also make my cuts on Sunday so I can keep better track of my symptoms. I need to move at a quick pace bc the drug combination I am on is toxic (opiates and benzo) so it is a little different for me. I am so glad to hear that you took your last dose and I will be following your progress and cheering you on !! :thumbsup:

Love,

PS If I could turn the clock back I wish I would have known about liquid titration when I was stuck with my klonapin withdrawal at .375 going to .25. I used to say oh I wish I could just take a little drop less every week ! Who knew?! ???

Chry,

Danman1979 tapered 2mg K last year. Did it over a year and when he dropped his last dose he was done.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and tell me that encouraging news!! I have been doing this one or the other since March of 2010. I also am on a pain medication so I have reduced that by 70% as well. The last four years have been really really difficult for me and I need to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Your news made that light a little brighter for me so thank you for that. I hope you are feeling well and moving forward!

Love, :smitten:

hi Chrys, I just wanted to wave hello at a similar point in my taper after more than 15 years use.  I'm now on the equivalent of 3.4 mg of Valium, and feeling that pull between slow and steady wins the race, and impatience about wanting to get it over.  I had a long hold during my taper (about 4 months due to ill health and bereavement).  I believe I've been healing during that time, even though I'm still on the drug.  My brain is so much better now - that was the hardest symptom for me as I've kept working right through.

My current plan (while committed to staying flexible), is to reduce .2 mg each 5 days or so, and see how that goes.  How does that compare?

Poppins

Kudos to DanMan! Isn't that some of the best news we've ever heard on BB?!?!?!  :yippee: It gives such hope :smitten: Thanks GodsGrace and DanMan too :) Here's to a slow taper and very little if any s/x's when we're through :yippee:  T2

Kudos to DanMan! Isn't that some of the best news we've ever heard on BB?!?!?!  :yippee: It gives such hope :smitten: Thanks GodsGrace and DanMan too :) Here's to a slow taper and very little if any s/x's when we're through :yippee:   T2

Hey teacher2~ I was wondering if you posted this in the wrong spot haha! I know I have benzo fog so I am not sure but DanMan and GodsGrace didn't respond here.

Glad to say hello, regardless!

Love,

:smitten:Hi Chrysanthemum!

Godsgrace posted earlier on this blog. She's the one who told us that DanMan had tapered 2 mg. of K last year and he was done.

Hope you're doing great! Love your name....There is a children's book by Kevin Henkes, titled 'Chrysanthemum.'  :smitten:  T2

Hi Chrys,

I was just watching youtube video of Dr Heather Ashton. I love that woman! You know me..not nearly at a place to advise but listening to the Dr., she did say when getting to low doses..to go down to .5 mg...slow and steady..that's the way.

"if Valium has a half life up to 200 hours that is about 8 days I figure so I go with 7."

Valium has a half life of 20 hours..not 200...pretty darn sure of that so...just wanted to point that out.

You ARE doing great..you've come such along way

truly an inspiration! :)

I was happily surprised to hear her say that at the larger doses (above 5mg) i could try going down 2 mgs at a time..so we shall see..

" The active metabolite of diazepam (desmethyldiazepam) is 36-200 hours. This means that half the active products of diazepam are still in the bloodstream up to 200 hours after a single dose"--

I did research it again after your post which I always appreciate ! I am pretty sure that the whole point of the Valium switchover is the fact that it is a slow and steady decline which is much longer than less than one day. My NP has also said the same--that is has a half life of UP TO 200 hours. I think for me it does metabolize slowly-- my day 5, 6, and 7 I am very sick because it is really gone from my system. Everyone is different though that's for sure.  

Tapering is trial and error. I sure hope that you can drop by 2 mg but my advice is to try 1 mg the first drop. I was dropping by .5 mg initially and felt pretty awful. Again, you know that it is magnified by opana but I have a pretty high tolerance to pain and discomfort and others on the board have had similar experiences. I HAD to go quicker towards the end-- for my own mental health.

Perhaps there is someone else who can speak to the half-life of Valium? I have been studying this for months and I am pretty sure it has a longer than 20 hour half life. The research I did supported that and I posted the phrase above.

I am glad that we found each other on this journey and thank you for saying I inspire you. Right back at ya! :smitten:

Love,

PS I am glad I did the .5 mg . I am actually having a tolerable day. Hope you are too!

:smitten:Hi Chrysanthemum!

Godsgrace posted earlier on this blog. She's the one who told us that DanMan had tapered 2 mg. of K last year and he was done.

Hope you're doing great! Love your name....There is a children's book by Kevin Henkes, titled 'Chrysanthemum.'  :smitten:   T2

Benzo brain fog rears its ugly head. Yes, I see that now.  :idiot:

My benzo name was inspired by that book so I am so glad that you mentioned it!! I LOVE that book and saw it performed this summer in a children's theatre production so I hoped it would bring a good vibe to me.

Sorry for my gaffe-- I need to stop typing and get some rest before my brain explodes!!!  :smitten:

Love,

hi Chrys, I just wanted to wave hello at a similar point in my taper after more than 15 years use.  I'm now on the equivalent of 3.4 mg of Valium, and feeling that pull between slow and steady wins the race, and impatience about wanting to get it over.  I had a long hold during my taper (about 4 months due to ill health and bereavement).  I believe I've been healing during that time, even though I'm still on the drug.  My brain is so much better now - that was the hardest symptom for me as I've kept working right through.

My current plan (while committed to staying flexible), is to reduce .2 mg each 5 days or so, and see how that goes.  How does that compare?

Poppins

Are you doing a liquid titrate? I am on the real Valium-- not the generic and it is such a weird shape that I don't see how I could make cuts that small. I did the .5mg last night and it is bearable today so I will probably do that for the next three weeks and then ADIOS! benzo's. I can't do the math but it sounds like you're end is in sight as well. True? We have a pretty similar benzo history -- I think I am at 12 years but I haven't completely thought it out yet. I can't see your signature as I am typing but what was your starting point? I crossed over and stabilized at 8 mg of Valium. I CANNOT WAIT TO BE DONE.

Happy Healing and keep in touch!

Love,

Chrysanthemum

I stopped taking 2mg of valium, not knowing any better, and it was tough going.  I would exercise caution and drop by .25-.5 from here out , especially if the earlier 1mg drop was tough.  Its almost over and it would be great to make it as easy as you can.  In any event, I am 4-5 months out and feeling a ton better!!!  All my best to you--congrats on your journey so far!!

Shell

Oh Chrysanthemum! It's fine!!! Thought I'd made a boo-boo. Which I never-ever do--HAH--only all the time. Benzo-brained as well :crazy:

LOVE children's literature and Kevin Henkes is one of my faves! That's so cool that you were inspired by that book! The flower is actually gorgeous and smells lovely too. Take care!!! We will heal...we will heal.....T2

Oh Chrysanthemum! It's fine!!! Thought I'd made a boo-boo. Which I never-ever do--HAH--only all the time. Benzo-brained as well :crazy:

LOVE children's literature and Kevin Henkes is one of my faves! That's so cool that you were inspired by that book! The flower is actually gorgeous and smells lovely too. Take care!!! We will heal...we will heal.....T2

Your kindness has made my day a little nicer. Thank you for that :smitten:

L,

C :crazy:

PS I also LOVE children's literature and the theatre. I wish I could write more about that but I am so paranoid for some reason that someone will recognize me from my posts. Silly, right?

Hi Chrysanthemum

I did a very slow taper-20 months to taper off of 15mgs of valium.  I decided to titrate and used it the entire way down.  I used a method where I tapered at a daily rate where I had relatively little symptoms.  Once I stepped off I was pretty much healed and at 8 months off I am completely recovered.

If you find that making larger weekly-biweekly cuts are too "painful" to tolerate you can always move to titration.  Some people find it much much easier to tolerate.  Also many of us use milk instead of water as the fat in the milk "suspends" the valium so you can be a bit more accurate in making your cuts.  Once you get to the lower mgs smaller gentler cuts are a great asset.

Anyway I am happy to answer any questions and send others your way that tapered in this manner if you are interested.

All my best!

Mimi 

Hi Chrysanthemum

I did a very slow taper-20 months to taper off of 15mgs of valium.  I decided to titrate and used it the entire way down.  I used a method where I tapered at a daily rate where I had relatively little symptoms.  Once I stepped off I was pretty much healed and at 8 months off I am completely recovered.

If you find that making larger weekly-biweekly cuts are too "painful" to tolerate you can always move to titration.  Some people find it much much easier to tolerate.  Also many of us use milk instead of water as the fat in the milk "suspends" the valium so you can be a bit more accurate in making your cuts.  Once you get to the lower mgs smaller gentler cuts are a great asset.

Anyway I am happy to answer any questions and send others your way that tapered in this manner if you are interested.

All my best!

Mimi 

I have done a 19 month taper off of 1.5 klonopin which I think is the equivalent of 30 mg of Valium. If I could turn the clock back I would do EXACTLY what you did! I used to lament that I wish there was a way that I could just take a little bit less every little while. Well, who knew?! There was!  I will however promote that way to anyone who is starting their journey! I did find the Ashton manual and finally switched over to Valium when I hit a wall with a dose drop that wouldn't stabilise.

At this point, it is ballz to the walls! I am psychologically needing to be done soon. I have had a very ROUGH ride with an intense back surgery and recovery. I still need pain meds although I dropped that from 80 mg to 20 mg while also tapering off Benzo so this has been enough for me. It is harder for me to withdraw since the opiate/benzo act synergistically but on the other hand the combination is toxic and in a way I feel less sick as I am closer to not mixing them. Like I was barely able to get out of bed before and now I feel like I have the flu but I can get up. I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I am trying so hard to be patient. It took more courage for me to lower it by .5 mg this last time than it does to do the 1 mg. Patience is not my strong suit  :). I plan to be done in three weeks.

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that you are healed. I am happy for you from the bottom of my heart :smitten: and take away encouragement that one day I will look in the mirror and see the girl I used to be, smiling clear-eyed back at me.

LOVE,

PS If my plan goes awry, I will definitely ask you further about titration and I thank you for your offer of help. At the end of the day-- I want success! Again, many blessings to you. Healed. That's a beautiful word!!