Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Depression...how long?

[of...]

hello everybody,

i am one year off of diazepam. On Oktober 16. it is one year! JIJPIIII!!

So far so good. But i still suffer from depression once in a while. And it is really hard to deal with because i feel increadibly tired and down when it appears.

There is also a misty feeling (don´t know how to describe it any better) that has gone just a week ago. How do you feel after one year off?

Sorry, my english isn´t good.

Can anyone relate to my situation?

Can anyone realte to my situation? I am one year off now. I took diazepam about 15 month because of sleeping issues. I c/t because i didn´t know that i had become addicted. Could that be why i still feel depressed sometimes?

Don´t know what to do...

Very few people have benzo withdrawal symptoms so long after tapering, offofbenzos.  I suffered from depression for many years prrior to any benzo use and have been on anti-depressants for a long time.  They have helped me once I got on the right dose of the the right A/D.  However, if your depression is not constant, it may just be the usual ups and downs of life causing it. Depression often responds well to lifestyle changes, such as the following:

Lifestyle changes that can treat depression

Exercise. Regular exercise is a powerful depression fighter. Not only does it boost serotonin, endorphins, and other feel-good brain chemicals, it triggers the growth of new brain cells and connections, just like antidepressants do. Best of all, you don’t have to train for a marathon in order to reap the benefits. Even a half-hour daily walk can make a big difference. For maximum results, aim for 30 to 60 minutes of activity on most days.

Nutrition. Eating well is important for both your physical and mental health. Eating small, well-balanced meals throughout the day will help you keep your energy up and minimize mood swings. While you may be drawn to sugary foods for the quick boost they provide, complex carbohydrates are a better choice. They'll get you going without the all-too-soon sugar crash.

Sleep. Sleep has a strong effect on mood. When you don't get enough sleep, your depression symptoms will be worse. Sleep deprivation exacerbates irritability, moodiness, sadness, and fatigue. Make sure you're getting enough sleep each night. Very few people do well on less than 7 hours a night. Aim for somewhere between 7 to 9 hours each night.

Social Support. Strong social networks reduce isolation, a key risk factor for depression. Keep in regular contact with friends and family, or consider joining a class or group. Volunteering is a wonderful way to get social support and help others while also helping yourself. 

Stress Reduction. Make changes in your life to help manage and reduce stress. Too much stress exacerbates depression and puts you at risk for future depression.