Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Demerol

[Sh...]

I had surgery recently and they gave me demerol for pain.  I'm allergic to just about everything else.  Does anyone know if this will interfere with the GABA receptors and progress towards healing.  I googled and couldn't make heads or tails out of all the scientific jargon.  Thanks.

[c4...]

The stimulatory effects of opiates are the result of "disinhibition" as the release of inhibitory neurotransmitters such as GABA and acetylcholine is blocked. The exact mechanism how opioid agonists cause both inhibitory and stimulatory processes is not well understood. Possible mechanisms including differential susceptibility of the opioid receptor to desensitization or activation of more than one G-protein system or subunit (one excitatory and one inhibitory) by an opioid receptor.

So on,...

Here is the link-

http://www.migraines.org/treatment/prodemrl.htm

It is a link (Demerol for headaches, but it talks about the actions.)

Billy.

I've had severe sensitivities to most pharmaceuticals througout my wd, but I got some nasty toxic effects from it when my doctor tried me on Demerol. With opiates it seemed like the synthetics had the most side effects and least efficacy on me, with semisynthetics being the most tolerable and effective for pain.

Hi stillhealing,

Could you give me some examples of a semisynthetic pain medicine?  I really need some more options, since there may be more surgery in my future.  Thanks!

Thank you Sigma for the explanation!

Everybody is different, but for myself the semisynthetics oxycodone/hydrocodone were the most tolerable, with hydrocodone being more helpful but also uncomfortably stimulating the longer I was on it. As for synthetics, Demerol caused a toxic reaction that made me extremely nauseous and weak, and Fentanyl built a very rapid tolerance and became ineffective after a couple days, yet depressed my breathing and carried an obviously higher physical dependency risk than others. The synthetic tramadol also build fast tolerance and additionally caused an SSRI withdrawal reaction after stopping it, and was worse than typical opiate withdrawal. And the natural morphine taken orally was completely ineffective and only increased gastrointestinal pain. Also opiates seemed to worsen my insomnia with continued use.

I personally found opiates to be a trade-off, reducing pain and some benzo symptoms, yet increasing other benzo symptoms. These medications did help me make it through some very difficult times of unbearable pain, but now that my benzo recovery has progressed to where it is, I find the trade-off to not be worth it most of the time.