Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Antipsychotics make benzo withdrawal worse?

[Gl...]

I was just reading this on wikipedia --

Antipsychotics should be avoided during benzodiazepine withdrawal as they tend to aggravate withdrawal symptoms, including convulsions.[98][99][100][101] Some antipsychotic agents may be more risky during withdrawal than others, especially clozapine, olanzapine or low potency phenothiazines (e.g., chlorpromazine), as they lower the seizure threshold and can worsen withdrawal effects; if used, extreme caution is required.[102]

This concerns me because I am on Zyprexa (Olanzapine) for off-label uses.  I'm on it for off-label uses (substance induced mood disorder when I was 18 from using meth..quit using meth when I was 19, disorder went away, stuck on med though) and am not psychotic at all.  Unfortunately, if I try to quit then I can't sleep at all so I'm stuck on it.  There is a site zyprexawithdrawal.com that describes what other people are going through which is pretty much the same as me if I try to quit.  I've decided to stay on it but I'm wondering if anyone has any input on if it can make withdrawals worse.  The first time I quit benzo's only took it every 2 or 3 days because I was worried it could make withdrawals worse.

My bf is on Olanzapine too, but like we are told, not to taper 2 drugs at once, I am not going to mess.

I think it helps him sleep and certainly keeps his appetite alive!

Chig x

Not sure if Seroquel is an antipsychotic, but I took it and yes it made benzo w/d much worse..the anxiety it added on top of the already horrid anxiety was debilitating...the worst problem is that when I stopped it the rebound insomnia was insidious! I did a very slow taper off of it.

[6e...]

Yes, SQL is an antipsychotic.. There have been lawsuits won for this being Rx'd off-label.

Seroquel was one of the first to actually have been penalized, albeit small scale, for pushing these drugs for off label usage.

xoxoo

[15...]

I know you are on Zyprexa, I was on it at one time.

I take Risperdal, and it don't do much of anything.

6mg a day of it !!!!

I would taper the zyprexa after the Valium.

Zyprexa did make me sleep though  :)