Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Major UTI..headed to doctor in 3 hrs. need suggestions for antibiotics

[Su...]

I know to stay away from Cipro and Quinlones...but i need some help here...anyone have or had a UTI and taken a certain antibiotic that did not make benzo w/d 10 times worse? I am off benzos now for 10 months so maybe I can handle an antibiotic better now?

I am so sorry! :(

I seemed to do okay with amoxicillin, but I'm not sure if they give that for UTI's.

Some have used bactrim or macrobid with mixed results.  You can use the search function to find threads on both of these.  I hope you feel better soon.

Here's a list of some to try to stay away from:

The following is a list of quinolone antibiotics. The generic name is first, followed by brand names and possibly notes.  These you probably don't want to take.

Ciprofloxacin: Ciproxin, Cipro, Baycip, Centraxal, Ciflox, Ciplox, Ciprolet, Cyprobay, Quintor, Ciloxan (eye drops)

Gatifloxacin: Tequin, Gaity

Levofloxacin: Levaquin, Tavanic (is on the UK Medicines Control Agency’s ‘Black Triangle List’, which means it is under intensive surveillance)

Lomefloxacin: Lomaday, Maxaquin

Mosifloxacin: Avelox

Norfloxacin: Noroxin, Amicrobin, Anquin, Baccidal, Barazan, Biofloxin, Floxenor, Fulgram, Janacin, Lexinor, Norilet, Norofin, Norxacin, Orixacin, Oroflox, Urinox, Zoroxin

Ofloxacin: Floxin, Ocuflox Ophthalmic (eye drops)

Thanks Missy for the list...I was given Levaquin last summer for a kidney infection the same week I stopped Klonopin..OMG!  :o  I was  SO sick...so they now have it listed in my file and at the pharmacy that I am severely allergic to Quinlones...I will make sure though before I take anything to research it...I'm thinking the penicillen family/sulpha/maybe Z-pak...we will see at 3pm that's when my appt is...oh the pain though!  I took some AZO tablets and drank 45oz of water so far this morning and still feel like I'm peeing razor blades!

Thanks too Sigma..seems the penicillens are for the most part "safe".

I've had to take several rounds of antibiotics (Cephalexin) since my taper and, thankfully, they didn't cause me any problems.

Good luck at the doctors.

I'm headed out in a 1/2 hr for my appt. I will let you all know what he puts me on...I'm in quite a setback right now so I need to remember that when I take the antibiotic and feel bad that it's not necessarily the medicine that's doing it to me.

I am on Ampicillen, 500mgs 4 times a day for 10 days...so far so good..I've taken 3 doses and already feel better!  :yippee:  Did not require an epidural to pee this morning! lol  :laugh:

I also slept 8 hrs. last night! So it's gonna be a much better day today I can already tell!  :yippee:

I am so sorry! :(

I seemed to do okay with amoxicillin, but I'm not sure if they give that for UTI's.

Some have used bactrim or macrobid with mixed results.  You can use the search function to find threads on both of these.  I hope you feel better soon.

Here's a list of some to try to stay away from:

The following is a list of quinolone antibiotics. The generic name is first, followed by brand names and possibly notes.  These you probably don't want to take.

Ciprofloxacin: Ciproxin, Cipro, Baycip, Centraxal, Ciflox, Ciplox, Ciprolet, Cyprobay, Quintor, Ciloxan (eye drops)

Gatifloxacin: Tequin, Gaity

Levofloxacin: Levaquin, Tavanic (is on the UK Medicines Control Agency’s ‘Black Triangle List’, which means it is under intensive surveillance)

Lomefloxacin: Lomaday, Maxaquin

Mosifloxacin: Avelox

Norfloxacin: Noroxin, Amicrobin, Anquin, Baccidal, Barazan, Biofloxin, Floxenor, Fulgram, Janacin, Lexinor, Norilet, Norofin, Norxacin, Orixacin, Oroflox, Urinox, Zoroxin

Ofloxacin: Floxin, Ocuflox Ophthalmic (eye drops)

yes the dr gave Mom amoxicillan for a UTI and it worked great.  I used Bactrim in 2009 and never found it bad.  Three weeks ago it was Nofloxacin and I don't even want to go there.  Really ramped me up a lot and still does.

Good to know amoxicillin works for a UTI.  Thanks, HockeyGal  :)

You're welcome Missy.  Wish that I had demanded it instead of the floxin that I took because now I am still suffering from the aftereffects of it--pain in the joints, back, some anxiety, and numbness.  I honestly think the pain from that is worse than the pain of getting off Ativan.

I am finishing up antibiotics today...I still feel discomfort when I go to the bathroom so I know it's not completely gone, but I'm hoping that it is manageable now w/cranberry complex/juice/etc. I am hoping not to have to do another round of antibiotics...I am sure the doctor would chose a different antibiotics and right now I'm kind of paranoid of all of them.

I am finishing up antibiotics today...I still feel discomfort when I go to the bathroom so I know it's not completely gone, but I'm hoping that it is manageable now w/cranberry complex/juice/etc. I am hoping not to have to do another round of antibiotics...I am sure the doctor would chose a different antibiotics and right now I'm kind of paranoid of all of them.

Sunnie I had symptoms too afterward and I told my dr that and he sent me for another test but it showed up negative and I never needed anything else thankfully because after being floxed I don't think I could have stood it.

They gave you a quinolone for your UTI? Last July when I had just finished my taper off Klonopin I got a terrible kidney infection and ended up in ER w/ an IV of quinolone antibiotics and sent home on Levaquin for 10 days...I thought I was going to die! I still don't know if it was all benzo w/d or if the quinolones added to the intense suffering I went through last summer.  I now carry a medical card and have it on file at the pharmacy that I am allergic to quinolones.

[af...]

I was given Ampicillin, it knocked the UTI out of me.

I took it for like 10 - 15 days, but I passed a kidney stone before the UTI, it hurt like hell.

Couldn't move or anything.

UTI's can amp up the nervous system as well.

They gave you a quinolone for your UTI? Last July when I had just finished my taper off Klonopin I got a terrible kidney infection and ended up in ER w/ an IV of quinolone antibiotics and sent home on Levaquin for 10 days...I thought I was going to die! I still don't know if it was all benzo w/d or if the quinolones added to the intense suffering I went through last summer.  I now carry a medical card and have it on file at the pharmacy that I am allergic to quinolones.

They indeed did and I was ok taking it until the last three pills.  I think what might have revved it up for me is the fact that I didn't know that caffeine could intensify the drug's effects and an hour after I took the third last pill I had a glass of Pepsi.  After that I felt myself getting really anxious.  After the last three pills were gone I had really intense feelings and am only now getting over them and this is a month or six weeks on.

• 3 months later...
I think i have a UTI these past 2 days ive been feelin a lot of discomfort when i pee and been going frequently and not alot is coming out, also feel some discomfort around my butt lol and legs....ive had one UTI before when i was 19 and this feels the exact same way....Im hoping and im going ask for amoxillin as i know ive done good on it before...could my s/x be a UTI?

If you go to a doc he can do a urinanalyis and see. I had pain when I pee'd and felt like I had to go all the time even though I didn't have to.