Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Buspar pill change question

[St...]

Anyone have experience with Buspar for depression/anxiety?

I am trying to tease out what is going on as I taper ever-so-slowly off lorazepam ... I still take the Prozac/Buspar combination I was on previously so as not to change too many things at once.

Buspar had worked marvelously, but the last week or two I feel like it's all coming bac around again depression-wise, and i just realized I was switched from taking 1-1/2 10 mg. pills to taking 1 15 mg. pill. Which I realize should be the same, but it's different manufacturers. Could it be making a difference?

Thanks,

S

The Ashton Manual says that once you have been on benzodiazepines, BuSpar probably won't help anxiety. I did try it during tapering I became more anxious but that could have been from tapering or my own reservations about taking something else. For me, BuSpar did not work.

Some members have reported problems when the pharmacy switched drug manufacturers on them, so it might possibly be the case.

Can you ask your pharmacist to go back to using the previous manufacturer?

"The Ashton Manual says that once you have been on benzodiazepines, BuSpar probably won't help anxiety."

Wow, really? Why?

Hmm ... guess I have some more reading to do.

Thanks!

S

I just increased my appetite which was welcome at the time. Other than that I don't believe it did much. It doesn't have a great reputation for being effective.

Stone-

It's not because of its pharamcodynamics that buspar doesn't work well after benzos, its because people are used to the immediate relief of benzos, so when buspar takes 2 months to get to full effect, these people don't notice a difference and think its not helping. Buspar alone is almost worthless but with an AD its a great combo.  I tried it once just buspar alone and it didn't do much of anything

Buspar alone is almost worthless but with an AD its a great combo.  I tried it once just buspar alone and it didn't do much of anything

Well said. I heard it has value as adjunctive therapy and can also helps men overcome some of the "performance" s/x associated with A/D's.