Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Am on Neurontin and had no withdrawals this month!

[Me...]

With my luck, I developed trigeminal neuralgia in my jaw - it's an extremely painful condition.  I got it after having a tooth pulled.  The neurologist put me on 400 mgs of Neurontin, then 600, then 900.  This is the first month that I have had absolutely no withdrawal symptoms from tapering the Klonopin.  Could be a coincidence, but the other months were pretty bad - anxiety and sweating, off balance, mostly.

The downside is that I was on Neurontin once before for anxiety and it was hell getting off of - I would say the same as getting off of Klonopin - anxiety and sweating.  IT WAS BAD.  When the neurologist thinks you may be in remission from the TN, he withdraws you from the Neurontin.  If that ever happens I don't know what I'll do.  It took me almost 4 months to get off of 600 mgs the last time, and every day was horrible.

But my main point, and I see from looking at other people's posts, is that, for me, the Neurontin seems to cut down completely on my withdrawal symptoms.  Or maybe my body just decided this month to take a vacation from them!  Or maybe tomorrow I'll wake up with terrible anxiety!  It' just that usually by this time (this is the 3rd day since my cut) I am in pretty bad shape.

I have read that Tegretol helps with benzo withdrawal.  Tegretol and Neurontin are both anti-convulsants.  May be something to that.  I also, of course, googled Neurontin and benzo withdrawal and there were some sites that agreed that it helps and some said that the amount I'm on is not enough.  But everyone is different, right?

But like I said, tomorrow things could change.  Just thought I'd mention this.  Too bad Neurontin is a drug that is as hard to withdraw from as a benzo.

Barb

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling okay at the moment, Barb  :thumbsup:

My doc prescribed Neurontin for me when I was in tolerance withdrawal (didn't know that at the time) and, unfortunately, it didn't help my anxiety or depression one little bit  :(  Another example of how we are all different, huh?

I hope that trigeminal neuralgia clears up for you soon  :)  It sounds painful!

[21...]

I'm currently on 900mg of Neurontin that was given to me in rehab. It did NOT help my C/T W/D AT ALL and now that I've reinstated and am tapering, I am still having life-altering w/d symptoms. I feel no different when I take the Neurontin. I don't feel it's helping me at all. I, too, am terrified to have a painful w/d syndrome from the Neurontin as well when my Klonopin taper is over. I just pray it's not nearly as bad as the Benzo w/d. It's hard for me to believe that anything could be this awful.

Love, Nicole