Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Depakote ER

[37...]

[37...]

I started a thread a while back about this, and got some bad answers, but I have a seizure disorder, and supposed to take this stuff.

Anyone else Epileptic and take it?

Here's the other thread-

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=27293.0

I'm tired of taking rescue doses of valium to prevent an aura! I don't know whether to take it or not.

I have been on it before, but was not tapering.

Also I hear it makes the valium stronger.

I'm at a loss with this!

Thanks.

BTW- It's Depakote ER.

S#

[37...]

This particular post from the other thread really shook me up!

Depakote and Valium probably shouldn't be mixed, for treatment of seizures because Depakote actually displaces Valium from the GABAa receptor sites, they basically compete for the same receptor and, Depakote usually wins. It goes into this here: http://www.druglib.com/activeingredient/divalproex/

Best to get your seizures diagnosed and then think about your treatment for them

Good luck...

L'andy

[37...]

My friend takes Dilantin to prevent seizures, have you done any research on that?

I have been on that before I believe, but I'm not sure the Neuro will give it to me.

I will have to look it up.

Only think I have is Depakote ER (Extended Release)

My friend has recently tapered off of the Dilantin, she's been seizure free for a few years now, so her Dr tapered her.  I just wanted you to know that you might not have a life sentence with your seizure disorder. 

[37...]

That's what the Neuro told me as well.

I will check out the Dilantin.

I think I have been on it before, not sure.

Dilantin and Depakote may address slightly different types of siezures.  I am on both long term at relatively low levels. Make sure your doc knows what he is doing, bring your research with you and challenge his reasoning until you are reasonably satisfied.  He works for you.  But you dont need a perfect solutin necessarily (there arent many arround) just a reasonably good solution.  BTW an EEG doesnt really tell them much unless you dose off for a minute or so.

[37...]

Thanks David,

I think I'm going to start the Depakote soon.

I take 1,000 mg for 2 weeks at bedtime after that I go to 2,000 mg

Dilantin I will have to ask about.

I have Partial Complex, Absent, and Focal Seizures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_partial_seizure

Actually I think in withdrawal, many have Absent Seizures and don't even know it.. so I have been told.