Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Cold Turkey Withdrawal

[Lu...]

[Pa...]

Hello @[Lu...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Sleep was the last thing for me to return after my cold turkey, its miserable isn't it?  Do you fall asleep okay but wake up a lot, or is it getting to sleep that's the worst?

What benzodiazepine did you cold turkey and how long did you take it?  I'm just trying to get an idea how your recovery is going, I hope we can offer some suggestions. 

@[Pa...]

[Lu...]

Getting to sleep started out at 5 mg then she increased to 1 was only on it for 5 months and started to have a reaction my taste bud gone smell coming back it’s the no sleep for me 

[Ja...]

Welcome to Benzobuddies Luke Warm.  
I am six months ahead of you.  My insomnia was impossible at four months but very shortly afterwards it improved immensely( a week or two).  My sleep was much improved for about six weeks then insomnia set in again.  If I was still awake after an hour and a half of going to bed  I took diphenhydramine in liquid form ie. drowsy cough bottle in some water.  It worked for me and now my sleep is good again.

My doctor gave me some Zopiclone at the 8 month stage as I was on antibiotics and steroids which can cause insomnia but I never took them, thanks to the support and help of my Benzobuddies.  Now I am sleeping 6 or 7 hours per night.  Hopefully my sleep has returned and yours will too.  I know it’s awful, I’ve been there like you and so many others.

[Lu...]

Where did you get it from and how much did you take in water 

[Ja...]

Welcome to Benzobuddies Luke Warm.  
I am six months ahead of you.  My insomnia was impossible at four months but very shortly afterwards it improved immensely( a week or two).  My sleep was much improved for about six weeks then insomnia set in again.  If I was still awake after an hour and a half of going to bed  I took diphenhydramine in liquid form ie. drowsy cough bottle in some water.  It worked for me and now my sleep is good again.

My doctor gave me some Zopiclone at the 8 month stage as I was on antibiotics and steroids which can cause insomnia but I never took them, thanks to the support and help of my Benzobuddies.  Now I am sleeping 6 or 7 hours per night.  Hopefully my sleep has returned and yours will too.  I know it’s awful, I’ve been there like you and so many others.

I don’t know what’s happening here, I cannot get a clear box to reply to you.  I got it from my pharmacy, over the counter) no script required.  It is under the trade name Benylin (drowsy).  I live in Ireland.  I also ordered Unisom diphenhydramine from Amazon in tablet form which I took occasionally.  Some of the members here recommended Unisom Doxycline ( Amazon).  I got them but only used one or two.  Maybe down the line I will use them. 

I also listen to talk radio at night.  I keep it very low and the human voice often lulls me to sleep.  It is on all night sometimes.

[Ja...]

Also there are many members here who helped me.  ThEwAy2 has written an excellent long article on insomnia.  I am sure you can get it up yourself using the search engine or someone might join in and give you the link.

[Pa...]
30 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Also there are many members here who helped me.  ThEwAy2 has written an excellent long article on insomnia.  I am sure you can get it up yourself using the search engine or someone might join in and give you the link.

[Pa...]
1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

Are you still there Getting to sleep

I sleep fine now but I've been benzo free since 2008.

[Ja...]

Dalmane 15mg (flurazapam) was my poison.  I was prescribed it for 24 years for insomnia and then it was withdrawn from the market.  I was in a dreadful state. That was the end of April 2023.  I could not function, I was totally dizzy and all the rest.  I went into a facility, for a month, in mid June 2023.  There I was put on 5mg of Diazapam and 6mg melatonin.  Mid September 2023 I finished my taper.  My taper was too fast so I had all the withdrawals including 2 brain zaps and 2 auditory hallucinations.  I’ve had a rough time but I am almost afraid to say that I think I am coming out of it, just in case I am thrown back into it.  None of my medics including the ones in the facility knew how to taper me correctly.  I found this site in August 2023.

I forgot to mention I still take 5mg melatonin nightly.  I get that from Amazon also.

[Ja...]

Did you taper 

People here have described my taper as similar to cold turkey.  Unfortunately I knew no better at the time.  

[Pa...]

Did you loose taste or smell 

I didn't. 

[Ja...]

Did you loose taste or smell 

I developed a very sour taste in my mouth which put me off sweet food but I do enjoy savoury food.  My sense of smell was not effected.

[Ja...]

Take all the advice you get on board, eventually you will find your own way of coping.   It’s 10.40pm here, goodnight, I’m off to bed, hope tonight is a restful night for all of us.😴

[Ho...]
6 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Getting to sleep started out at 5 mg then she increased to 1 was only on it for 5 months and started to have a reaction my taste bud gone smell coming back it’s the no sleep for me 

[Ho...]

My heart hurts for you. I have struggled terribly with sleep deprivation. For me, hard physical labor followed by cool baths, lavendar oil in the diffuser, and being grateful for even tiny amounts of sleep helped me get through months when I didn’t sleep but about one hour out of 24. Getting a small dose of mirtazapine helped. Of course I can’t advise anyone to take any drug, but that was my experience. I’m five months out and still struggling but I do sleep a few hours a few nights a week now.