Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Teeth Clenching/Grinding at Night?

[IH...]

About 9.5 weeks off benzos and my wife is informing me that I have started clenching and grinding my teeth at night. Is this a normal WD side effect? I used to grind my teeth bad at night when I was younger. But have not experienced it for the last 15-20 years.

[jo...]

Very common. Clenched jaw and teeth grinding are symptoms almost everyone has. It's just part of the anxiety is my thinking. I'm doing it as I write this as it happens.:ROFLMAO:

[Li...]

@[IH...] It is not uncommon for individuals who have developed tolerance to their benzodiazepine and/or are tapering their benzodiazepine to report issues with bruxism (teeth grinding).  This makes sense given that benzodiazepines have muscle relaxing effects (i.e. when the drug stops working or the dose is reduced, muscles tighten).

ff you have not already done so, I strongly encourage you to talk to your dentist about this sooner rather than later.  Dentists can fit you for a high-quality, custom mouth guard that will protect your teeth from damage due to bruxism (which can be quite extensive and hence expensive to repair). 

• Like 1

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)

Try not to dream about politics ::)

I second Mary's mouthguard suggestion. Follow Libertas advice if you find yourself stressing over this symptom and are worried about tooth damage. If this is your worst symptom at your stage consider yourself lucky. While startling it may subside over time and is listed as a common symptom.

Edited by [Cr...]

[Ja...]

Yea anxiety/tension in your sleep,.clenching your fists is a symptom to,a mouth guard is a good idea Mary1,to mutch gives you that tmj over time

[An...]
43 minutes ago, [[I...] said:

About 9.5 weeks off benzos and my wife is informing me that I have started clenching and grinding my teeth at night. Is this a normal WD side effect? I used to grind my teeth bad at night when I was younger. But have not experienced it for the last 15-20 years.

Be really careful it can ruin your enamel I managed to grind through my mouth guard and hurt my gums so I got masseyter botox ( TMJ best thing I ever did last 6 months