Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Is it normal that my jaw is cramped/locked?

[xo...]

I started my taper a week ago (20mg to 15mg per day) and my jaw has been very tense and cramped. Has anyone else experienced this? Just asking to calm my hypochondriac mind. The constant paranoia really sucks. 

[jo...]

Hi, it's a really common symptom. I have had it myself. Tension in jaw, gritted teeth etc. Dont worry it's nothing unusual.

• Like 1

[xo...]
2 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Hi, it's a really common symptom. I have had it myself. Tension in jaw, gritted teeth etc. Dont worry it's nothing unusual.

Thank you! Really glad to hear it’s common. 

[Cr...]
28 minutes ago, [[x...] said:

I started my taper a week ago (20mg to 15mg per day) and my jaw has been very tense and cramped. Has anyone else experienced this? Just asking to calm my hypochondriac mind. The constant paranoia really sucks. 

Is that for a Valium taper? That was a pretty big cut of 25% as opposed to the stardard 10% every 7 or 10 to 14 days.  You may lessen these symptoms if you slow your taper down a bit.

And yes muscle tension is very common. I had it in the back of my neck about 4 months out.

[xo...]
56 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Is that for a Valium taper? That was a pretty big cut of 25% as opposed to the stardard 10% every 7 or 10 to 14 days.  You may lessen these symptoms if you slow your taper down a bit.

And yes muscle tension is very common. I had it in the back of my neck about 4 months out.

It’s an oxazepam taper. I just really want to get it over with, you know. I’m not working right now so I can deal with the withdrawal symptoms, I just get a little paranoid sometimes, as some of them can be pretty strange. Thank you for your response!

[Cr...]
6 minutes ago, [[x...] said:

It’s an oxazepam taper. I just really want to get it over with, you know. I’m not working right now so I can deal with the withdrawal symptoms, I just get a little paranoid sometimes, as some of them can be pretty strange. Thank you for your response!

I can appreciate that. My best advice would be to get a full medical check-up. When you rule everything else out, that helps to solidify in your head that the symptoms you are experiencing are just withdrawal, and thus your fear and paranoia will be lessened.

Withdrawal symptoms are very unpleasant, but they cannot harm you. In fact, the symptoms aren't a result of being harmed but being healed. So everytime you feel these symptoms try to look at them in a positive light.

• Like 1

[iz...]
7 hours ago, [[x...] said:

Yes this is normal. I've had it on and off and at times I've had difficulty eating because of it. Felt like my jaw just wanted to give up, hang in there, this is a good sign that you are healing

• Like 1