Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Dry mouth, what to do?

[Dr...]

Hi all, 

The last weeks I'm off and on confronted with an extremely dry mouth. It usually goes together with brainfog, but not always. 

Anything I can do to make it less? I drink more then enough water, so that's not what's causing it. 

Thanks for all the insights! 

Sending you all lots of love

[Dr...]
1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Chewing gum helps dry mouth.

Thanks. I'll check with my naturopath whether I can take that. 

[Le...]

i used coconut oil to help. it does go away but swishing coconut oil for a few mins will keep things moisturized and also its slightly antiseptic so the other issues that come along with dry mouth are treated for the time being too. 

its a common symptom just with anxiety even and not something to be overly concerned with. 

• Love 1

[An...]
5 hours ago, [[D...] said:

Hi all, 

The last weeks I'm off and on confronted with an extremely dry mouth. It usually goes together with brainfog, but not always. 

Anything I can do to make it less? I drink more then enough water, so that's not what's causing it. 

Thanks for all the insights! 

Sending you all lots of love

I sometimes use biotene after I brush my teeth. It helps some.

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

i used biotene too but there is a lots in there and some of it a bit concerning for frequent use. i like coconut oil cause it is mostly harmless unless you start swallowing spoonfuls and clog your arteries. 

Edited by [Le...]
  • Love 1

[An...]

Also, if you are a mouth breather when you're asleep, putting a little scotch tape on your lips to force you to breathe through your nose while sleeping helped me a lot. I am just throwing out some things to consider.

[Le...]
4 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Also, if you are a mouth breather when you're asleep, putting a little scotch tape on your lips to force you to breathe through your nose while sleeping helped me a lot. I am just throwing out some things to consider.

cool. never heard that one. 

[Id...]

I resolved in few days with xilitol chewing gum. They are dentist approved because they increase saliva, cleaning teeth… I just used the first part of the reason. If you worry about xilitol intake they work pretty well and immediately even splittet in little pieces. 
I switched to soft brush toothbrush and I will never look back even now that the problem is solved 

[Dr...]
16 hours ago, [[L...] said:

i used coconut oil to help. it does go away but swishing coconut oil for a few mins will keep things moisturized and also its slightly antiseptic so the other issues that come along with dry mouth are treated for the time being too. 

its a common symptom just with anxiety even and not something to be overly concerned with. 

Thanks @[Le...]! That almost sounds like oil pulling. Do you spit the oil out afterwards or swallow it? With oil pulling you spit it out as it will contain lots of toxins. 

[Dr...]
16 hours ago, [[A...] said:

I sometimes use biotene after I brush my teeth. It helps some.

I actually never heard of that. Will see whether they have something like that here in The Netherlands. Thanks! 

[Dr...]
16 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Thanks @[An...]. I'm not a mouth breather though, so no scotch tape required. 

[Dr...]
10 hours ago, [[I...] said:

I resolved in few days with xilitol chewing gum. They are dentist approved because they increase saliva, cleaning teeth… I just used the first part of the reason. If you worry about xilitol intake they work pretty well and immediately even splittet in little pieces. 
I switched to soft brush toothbrush and I will never look back even now that the problem is solved 

Thanks @[Id...]. I do indeed worry about the xilitol so will check whether that's okay to take. 

[Le...]
6 hours ago, [[D...] said:

Thanks @[Le...]! That almost sounds like oil pulling. Do you spit the oil out afterwards or swallow it? With oil pulling you spit it out as it will contain lots of toxins. 

i spit it. i actually did the pulling thing but dont know much about it and wasnt sure if it did too much for me so didnt bring it up. it is great moisturizing though. 

• Love 1

[Dr...]
42 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

i spit it. i actually did the pulling thing but dont know much about it and wasnt sure if it did too much for me so didnt bring it up. it is great moisturizing though. 

I think oil pulling is basically swishing oil around in your mouth for a couple of minutes and then spitting it out. It's detoxing though, so I'm a bit hesitant to do that. But maybe just having it in my mouth for a short period of time would alleviate the dry mouth without it being detoxing

I'm now trying with salty water and so far I've had a less dry mouth today, but maybe it would have been better without having done anything as these symptoms can vary so much from day to day

[Le...]

coconut oil is a great moisturizer for anywhere. try it in the shower even then towel off. feels greasy for a few mins before soaking in. its pretty much the healthiest option out there and mildly anti microbial. 

• Love 1

[Id...]
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, [[D...] said:

Thanks @[Id...]. I do indeed worry about the xilitol so will check whether that's okay to take.

You’re welcome! I didn’t have any side effect and solved really fast. Given that you worry you could consider to not swallow as middle ground. Usually 2/3 tablets per day are considered safe, I went for half of it because I didn’t need more 

Wish you the best and soon :)

ETA I just checked out and hydrating mouthwash are sold under some dentist recommendation, I remembered well. 

Edited by [Id...]
  • Love 1

[Dr...]
5 minutes ago, [[I...] said:

You’re welcome! I didn’t have any side effect and solved really fast. Given that you worry you could consider to not swallow as middle ground. Usually 2/3 tablets per day are considered safe, I went for half of it because I didn’t need more 

Wish you the best and soon :)

ETA I just checked out and hydrating mouthwash are sold under some dentist recommendation, I remembered well. 

@[Id...], thanks. Today I used salty water and that either worked or the dry mouth had already lessened by itself. Now I'm coughing up green mucus however, so it seems I am having bronchitis. So I'm now looking at natural ways to clear that...

Anyway, wishing you all the best as well and have a lovely day or evening, depending on where you are in the world. I'm from The Netherlands so it's nearing my bedtime. 

[Id...]

Thank you is nigh here also and yours was a really nice message to receive. Xylitol comes from fruit, I don’t know what you meant; but of course do whatever works for you. 
Good evening for you too and best wishes for your problems :)

• Love 1