Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Should I reinstate Clonazepam while on Diazepam?

[he...]

Hi folks! Posting for a friend who is unable to use screens

____

I have been on Valium for more than 5 years, and I am experiencing sensory overloads to the point that I have not been able to use screens, listen to music, or read for more than minutes.

Being impulsive and tired of doing almost nothing, I tried 0.2 mg of clonazepam even after my daily dose of Valium. Felt good that night, but after some days, the sound sensitivity got worse. 

I used 12.5 mg of Valium for a long time and I am in tolerance. With a doctor, I decided to try to cross-tapper from diazepam to clonazepam. For 21 days, I removed 5 mg of Valium to try doses of clonazepam, ranging from 0.25 to 0.55 mg most of the days, with 4 or 5 days trying 0.75 or 0.85 without big improvements.

I then stopped this attempt, returning to the usual dose of Valium. Two months later, I was feeling so bad that I popped 0.25 of clonazepam. Things were paradoxical temporarily increasing sound sensitivity, anxiety, and tinnitus. The issue is that now, more than a month after this, I am dealing with a degree of muscle weakness that I wasn't dealing before, with around 20 minutes of yoga, revving the symptoms. 

Now I don't know if I should add clonazepam to the mix and tapper, and I don't know how much, if so, given the paradoxical reaction. Your views and experience are welcomed.

[kn...]

My first provider crossed my 4mgs of klonopin (clonazepam) and 1mg of Ativan over to 60mgs of diazepam (Valium) and I started down from there. My taper was forced, far too steep, and I’ve suffered horribly over the course of the last two and a half years. Micro tapering was never allowed. Now with a far different provider I’ve discovered, through gene testing that I metabolize diazepam very slowly. Cutting even 5% at time can cause a huge influx of symptoms. Add on drugs ‘send me for a loop. ‘.  Crazy things like you’re describing start happening. I’ve never added a benzo, wouldn’t dare to. You might want to just stay with the diazepam. Clonazepam and lorazepam are some of the most potent Benzos. I’m no expert. But, for what it’s worth, the best I have to offer. Best wishes for your health.  

[Jo...]

Do not take more of any Benzos. That is defeating the purpose of getting off of them. They cause in the long Term more Anxiety when used and yes they will give you inter-dose withdraws like you are describing. I started Tapering at 13mg of Diazepam. At around 6.5mg of Diazepam you will get to feeling better. I stayed on the current does for 120 days then tapered down 10% and have done this up until now. Why? because at the half way point you have to hold longer. My question is HOW LONG and at what rate to proceed given my custom taper? That is where I am now after 2 years of Tapering. Your Half way point will be 6.25mg. The other question is how long have you been on Diazepam, what age are you, and do you have a Detox MD or just a MD? I was on Ativan for 14 years and I was old when I started to Taper. If you are young then you have a chance to get off of it. If you are older those chances get narrower.