Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Anyone Traveled Abroad During Taper?

[St...]

I've never been on a forum before so apologies if I'm doing it wrong. 

I'm only starting out on a taper from.75mg Klonopin. It's too early to tell. 

Before all this began, I planned and paid for a 10 day international trip in October 2024. By then, I will be well into my taper. 

Has anyone traveled abroad for a few weeks in the midst of withdrawal? What were your experiences? 

I started this taper and then remembered the trip. Perhaps I should hold until it's over or get to a certain point (whatever that may be) and hold until I get back home?

I would appreciate any feedback.

[Ma...]

You might not receive a lot of feedback as a lot of members can’t get out of bed, leave their homes, socialize, work let alone travel internationally.

There’s no predicting your future but having something to look forward to could be very beneficial!

• Like 1

[Ch...]
2 hours ago, [[S...] said:

I've never been on a forum before so apologies if I'm doing it wrong. 

I'm only starting out on a taper from.75mg Klonopin. It's too early to tell. 

Before all this began, I planned and paid for a 10 day international trip in October 2024. By then, I will be well into my taper. 

Has anyone traveled abroad for a few weeks in the midst of withdrawal? What were your experiences? 

I started this taper and then remembered the trip. Perhaps I should hold until it's over or get to a certain point (whatever that may be) and hold until I get back home?

I would appreciate any feedback.

What is your current plan for tapering?

[jo...]

I went too Paris for a few days whilst in withdrawl. It was a struggle sometimes but also managed to relax a bit and enjoy myself other times. It all depends on how you feel really. Nobody else can know if your up to it or not. Unfortunately this can be an unpredictable condition so I would say play it by ear and if your not confident you can cope then cancel. There are times so far during my current experience when I couldn't even imagine it but also times when I may of managed Ok. Unfortunately like I say it's very hard to predict this sort off thing. Good Luck!

• Like 1

[St...]
8 hours ago, [[C...] said:

What is your current plan for tapering?

My taper plan is 10% reduction every 7 days with full realization I may have to hold for longer than 7 days at times.

I was on .75 Klonopin daily for 11.5 years. 

[St...]
8 hours ago, [[j...] said:

I went too Paris for a few days whilst in withdrawl. It was a struggle sometimes but also managed to relax a bit and enjoy myself other times. It all depends on how you feel really. Nobody else can know if your up to it or not. Unfortunately this can be an unpredictable condition so I would say play it by ear and if your not confident you can cope then cancel. There are times so far during my current experience when I couldn't even imagine it but also times when I may of managed Ok. Unfortunately like I say it's very hard to predict this sort off thing. Good Luck!

I appreciate your response. Thank you.

[Ch...]
4 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

My taper plan is 10% reduction every 7 days with full realization I may have to hold for longer than 7 days at times.

I was on .75 Klonopin daily for 11.5 years. 

As others have said, nobody can predict your future. However, you've got a few months to get into a tapering groove...Since your trip will be for 10 days, perhaps consider 14-day holds now to cover that time-frame then so that you are not making last-minute adjustments to accommodate the trip? If you find that 10% is too much to cut, you'll have some months to adjust that, too. Depending on your particular circumstances right now, you could consider waiting to taper until after your trip.

• Like 1

[St...]
4 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

As others have said, nobody can predict your future. However, you've got a few months to get into a tapering groove...Since your trip will be for 10 days, perhaps consider 14-day holds now to cover that time-frame then so that you are not making last-minute adjustments to accommodate the trip? If you find that 10% is too much to cut, you'll have some months to adjust that, too. Depending on your particular circumstances right now, you could consider waiting to taper until after your trip.

Great idea. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

[da...]

@[St...]

I did traveled abroad twice last year during my tapering. It is hard to say if good idea I'd say.

Hypertension is the most serious problem. I had to pay more attention to the surrounding because I was in a new place. That's exhausting. My WD was very much depending on the schedule. If I planned some "more demanding" events, then the WD would be acute. In reverse, I had some good days. I went to a cafe, got myself a hot chocolate and spent my morning. It is relaxing to being slow in a cafe and look at the busy street. 

Oct 24 is too far away and unpredictable. For me, I will feel pressured as if "I was urged to be ready&stabilized for my trip". This mindset ain't going to do anything good to the tapering.

I hope my experience can help you.

-Dav

• Like 1

[Kh...]

I traveled during taper, I was sick and it was pretty tough, to be honest.  I guess it really depends on how well your taper is going.  You will know more as you start the taper process and see how it affects you.  Everyone is different.  We are planning travel in May 2025 and I am 3 months off and still worried about traveling.  Ugh.