Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Positive Coping Strategies

[Tw...]

[Tw...]

I quit taking Xanax and Klonopin Seven Weeks Ago. I was forced to use positive coping strategies to manage my high anxiety levels, panic, and insomnia because I no longer had the pills to help me with all of the anxiety. I started and still practice the following coping skills: Walking, exercise, reading, watching uplifting movies, cooking, adult coloring books, brain games from the Playstore, and spending quality time with my family and friends. 

What do you do to cope ? 

• Like 1

[St...]
Posted (edited)
On 04/05/2024 at 08:25, [[T...] said:

I quit taking Xanax and Klonopin Seven Weeks Ago. I was forced to use positive coping strategies to manage my high anxiety levels, panic, and insomnia because I no longer had the pills to help me with all of the anxiety. I started and still practice the following coping skills: Walking, exercise, reading, watching uplifting movies, cooking, adult coloring books, brain games from the Playstore, and spending quality time with my family and friends. 

What do you do to cope ? 

In the warmer months, I dance salsa at a local dance studio, which takes every bit of effort I can muster, physical and mental. The other 6 months, I do 1,000 piece puzzles, read, meditate, and if I'm feeling up to it, I attend online Spanish group chat sessions. All of it in an effort to keep my brain from falling apart. I have a benign familial tremor that keeps me from doing anything intricate with my hands or I'd do much more. As it is, I shake like Kathryn Hepburn. 🙄

Edited by [St...]

[OD...]

Self-care. Getting up early, getting showered, groomed and trying to look my best (even though I have nowhere to go) has done wonders as far as keeping my self-esteem up. Going through something this difficult makes you feel less human, but taking care of yourself (in small ways, nothing I do is expensive) can really lift your spirits.

For me it's even more important because I've been unable to work during the whole taper due to severe agoraphobia, panic etc. I've told myself that when I'm done with this whole ordeal, I want my transition back into the "normal world" to be as smooth as possible. I don't want to get used to getting up late, or laying around the house in pajamas, just because I can right now. I want to be used to getting up at 5 or 6 am, being fully showered and ready to face the day early so that it isn't a big "shock" when I return back to that lifestyle.

Also puzzles and interactive games. I've come to realize that the brain can only focus on so much at once, and I can actually calm my anxiety down quite a bit when I'm fully engaged in some kind of game that is requiring my full attention.

[Le...]

I have started learning physics again. Lots has been lost over the years. Learning Revit architectural design software. Piano. Rosetta Stone spanish and french. 1 hr elliptical per day.  Every moment I fill with something is a moment I dont brood.