Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Any body tapered off Zoloft?

[Pl...]

[Pl...]
Posted (edited)

I found this group while I was tapering off valium, saved my life. So, now I need some help tapering my son. Doctor put my 25 year old son on 75 mgs of Zoloft during a very stressful time in his life. He doesn’t need it now, so he started to taper off. I had him to 50mgs, and he dropped to 30mg without telling me he was. He started having some bad withdrawals so talked to me, went back up to 50 to stabilize. Here’s my question…I have never tapered Zoloft before. I think I read it had a 26 hour half life. I could taper someone off benzos because of my fiasco, but no experience with an antidepressant. Can anybody point me in the right direction as far as percentages, and holds? Just looking general info…I know no one here is a doctor, but honestly someone who’s actually been through something normally knows a lot more. He has been on Zoloft for around 2 years. Thanks for any help. 

Edited by [Pl...]

[...]

@[Pl...], i've just had a look in Ashton Manual. It says antidepressants should be tapered with holds for 1-2 weeks. There is very little information on antidepressants there but zoloft is mentioned among others. Certainly, it's not enough to make its proper taper. At least smth to begin with. I had a bad experience with zoloft once, so I'd be careful about it but not as meticulous as with benzo tapering.

I'm tapering mirtazapine atm. It seems much more manageable than benzo.

Good luck to your son and you!)

[Ch...]
10 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Can anybody point me in the right direction as far as percentages, and holds? Just looking general info…

The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines (2024) cover tapering off of Zoloft (sertraline). The text is available on Amazon.

[Al...]

No, but I got off of Celexa, another anti-depressant.  My personal experience was that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I had brain zaps and some vertigo for 2 weeks, and then my symptoms improved pretty rapidly after that.  Best of luck!

[Tw...]
7 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

No, but I got off of Celexa, another anti-depressant.  My personal experience was that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I had brain zaps and some vertigo for 2 weeks, and then my symptoms improved pretty rapidly after that.  Best of luck!

I would recommend to keep asking for help until you find a doctor who is knowledgeable in this area who can help you and your family. 

[Pl...]

Thanks for all the information. I’m about to check it out. If anyone who is on a benzo happens to read this…you will make it through! Look back at some of my comments, and posts. It was bad at times. I made it though. Unfortunately, once we’re finished we forget to come back sometimes, and share the victory. In the throes of withdrawal/tapering you can feel like it isn’t going to end. It does though. ❤️

• Love 1