Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

librium taper after almost 2 months of use

[ga...]

i’m aware i posted this yesterday but unfortunately did not get any responses, i was on 25mg of librium, moved down to 20 for 4 days then 15 for 4 days, im now moving down to 10 and then 5 and then 2.5, im following the ashton manual exactly but instead of each week im doing 4 days because thats all i have as of now, is that too rapid of a taper and am i at any risk of serious withdrawal such as seizure? its been 8 days of a dose under 25mg and ive had some migraines and tinnitus but no shakes or anything 

[je...]
3 hours ago, [[g...] said:

i’m aware i posted this yesterday but unfortunately did not get any responses, i was on 25mg of librium, moved down to 20 for 4 days then 15 for 4 days, im now moving down to 10 and then 5 and then 2.5, im following the ashton manual exactly but instead of each week im doing 4 days because thats all i have as of now, is that too rapid of a taper and am i at any risk of serious withdrawal such as seizure? its been 8 days of a dose under 25mg and ive had some migraines and tinnitus but no shakes or anything 

Hi @[ga...]

I'm sorry you haven't received any replies yet. I'm not the best person to reply either because I don't know much about Librium. Your use is fairly short so you can attempt a faster, but the problem with Librium is the long half-life. It will take quite a while before you notice the effects of the cuts. Some people find Ashton way too fast. I'm not saying it's too fast for you, just that it's not always the best guidance. 

Just a couple of questions:

• Have you used benzo's before?
  • Are you on any other medication?
  • What was the reason Librium was prescribed?

[ga...]
6 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Hi @[ga...]

I'm sorry you haven't received any replies yet. I'm not the best person to reply either because I don't know much about Librium. Your use is fairly short so you can attempt a faster, but the problem with Librium is the long half-life. It will take quite a while before you notice the effects of the cuts. Some people find Ashton way too fast. I'm not saying it's too fast for you, just that it's not always the best guidance. 

Just a couple of questions:

• Have you used benzo's before?
  • Are you on any other medication?
  • What was the reason Librium was prescribed?

I have used benzos before but never regularly, maybe once or twice a year. not enough to change anything or cause kindling, i am not on any other medication at the moment, the librium was prescribed to me for severe anxiety during the month of april due to my ptsd. its been almost 9 days now of being under the 25mg mark and i dont really feel much different, im just worried about seizures really. i’ve never had one before and i really dont want to. thank you for the response. 

[je...]

Thank you for your answers. I agree with you that twice a year use will likely not cause kindling - and that was the reason behind the question. If you haven't felt any major symptoms after 9 days, then you might be okay to continue with your schedule with regards to symptoms. The reason I say might is because we just can't tell how you would react to future cuts. I would recommend reducing every 5 days though (if you are able to) and the reason being, is that most people feel symptoms kick in on days 3-5. I was on Clonazepam that also has a very long half-life and my symptoms showed up on day 5. It just gives you that extra buffer to determine whether or not you're reacting to the cut and how to proceed. 

I don't think with these cuts you're in danger of a seizure. According to Ashton 25mg Librium = 10mg Valium. By the time you're making 50% cuts as per Ashton, you're already below the equivalent of 5mg Valium which is not a very high dose. Seizures are usually a problem from very high doses of benzo's. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2024 at 22:35, [[j...] said:

Thank you for your answers. I agree with you that twice a year use will likely not cause kindling - and that was the reason behind the question. If you haven't felt any major symptoms after 9 days, then you might be okay to continue with your schedule with regards to symptoms. The reason I say might is because we just can't tell how you would react to future cuts. I would recommend reducing every 5 days though (if you are able to) and the reason being, is that most people feel symptoms kick in on days 3-5. I was on Clonazepam that also has a very long half-life and my symptoms showed up on day 5. It just gives you that extra buffer to determine whether or not you're reacting to the cut and how to proceed. 

I don't think with these cuts you're in danger of a seizure. According to Ashton 25mg Librium = 10mg Valium. By the time you're making 50% cuts as per Ashton, you're already below the equivalent of 5mg Valium which is not a very high dose. Seizures are usually a problem from very high doses of benzo's. 

On 27/04/2024 at 22:35, [[j...] said:

hi! it’s been a little while, i decided to hold on 15 for a little while and then reduce weekly instead of every 4- 5 days. i’ve been on 15mg consistently for a week but updosed to 20 one day during a panic attack, that was 4 days ago. would it be okay to reduce to 10mg or should i hold the 15 for an extra couple of days again?  i’m just not sure if a one day updose during my taper would mess with the taper or if i’m okay to reduce as planned