How to taper off Ativan after 3 months?

[Ri...]

Hi! I was prescribed 1.5 mg of Ativan per day starting in February to help me cope with my severe anxiety while arriving at an optimal SSRI dosage. I’m now at the stage where I believe I can begin to taper off the benzo…

I’d love input on the safest way to do it even though I haven’t been on it for that long…

My Dr. thinks it can be quite rapid but I’ve heard that they don’t always know best! ;-)

Thanks!🙏🏽 

[Re...]

Hello @[Ri...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I am glad you joined us before starting your taper. Dependency might form even after a few weeks of continuous daily use indeed. 

The recommended and safest taper rate is reducing your previous dose with 5-10% every two or three weeks. In general, following your symptoms and adjusting your taper speed might be the best with a chosen taper method. You might be able to reduce faster than this depending on how your body reacts to the lower doses, however a gradual reduction is recommended, so that you know where to hold your dose if you encounter issues. 

I am going to move this thread to the Taper Strategies section of the Forum, so that you can receive more targeted answers. 

I am certain our Buddies with share their ideas soon, too. 

Take care, 

RR

• Like 1

[Ka...]

Hello @[Ri...] & welcome

I have experience with ativan & did quite a lot of things wrong! It is very good you are approaching this sensibility & are here where others can  share thoughts. 

Your doctor is absolutely wrong & a rapid taper will set you up to fail & frankly is ridiculous. Slow & steady reduction is best. Watch any symptoms that may arise as you go and be led by them not a fixed timeframe. The info linked by @[Re...] is comprehensive & brilliant to inform you before embarking on a safe taper schedule. 
Wishing you well. 

• Like 1