Important Survey - Please Participate ×

How hard is tapering from 0.5mg Clonazepam

Hey guys, 

I was prescribed etizolam lasy year in march and have been taking it on and off for about a year about 3-4mg, after few months my doc precribed a SNRI and asked me to drop etizolam as it is not supposed to be taken for a long time every time i tried to quit etizolam I fell into severe withdrawals, I didnt know what was happening at that time and was'nt as educated on this. So about 2 weeks ago I started taking clonazepam 0.5mg and quit etizolam but I want to completely get off benzos now, i tried to go cold turkey and felt amazing for 2 days but on day 3 severe withdrawal hit me. I want to get off this monster but I am very confused am I experiencing Etizolam withdrawal since I have been off them for only about 12-14 days , should I try diazepam since I feel clonazepam is making me depressed and causing me major cognitive dysfuntioning plus some respiratory problems, how should I taper from my .5mg Clono that I started taking only 2 weeks ago.

Edited by [...]

[Re...]

Hello @[...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I am so sorry you have to go through this, I can imagine that the abrupt cessation of etizolam can be really difficult. 

I have no experience when it comes to etizolam. But, I think it can - and should be - tapered the same way benzodiazepines should be. Many people have difficulties when switching between benzodiazepines, I think a sudden switch from etizolam to clonazepam is no different. 

I am not sure what is causing your symptoms right now, depression and cognitive dysfunction are common withdrawal experiences from this group of medications (link here), as I know. 

Please don't rush this, when it comes to withdrawal these medication there seems to be no shortcut. I believe, it would be a good idea to stabilize now before tapering, you did a sudden cessation of etizolam, tried to quit cold turkey already, and your body will need time to adjust to that. There is a phenomenon called kindling, our body seems to "remember" the changes to these medications (kindling)

With benzodiazepines we recommend a slow, symptom led taper (link here), reducing 5-10% of the previous dose every two - three weeks. 

Please let us know how we can support you, 

Take care.