Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  449 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

9 years. Get trouble swallowing sometimes.

[4M...]

[4M...]

I'm 9 years off benzos and when I'm under stress it seams hard to swallow food . Like my muscle ain't activating in the back of my throat.  Anyone else still have waves of this, this far out?

[Na...]

I definitely had that early on. Probably the first year, but don't really have it any more.

It's the kind of thing that once you notice it it can make you a little panicky and you'll start focusing on it which only reinforces the sensation. 

The medical term for this condition is Dysphagia. It can be caused by stress and anxiety and since benzos affect the parts of the brain that involve our response to stress and anxiety, it makes sense that benzo withdrawal can cause this symptom. And as we all know we see a lot of people reporting this issue here.

But, there are other things that can cause it so it is possible that it's not benzo related and you might consider talking to a doctor about it.

[4M...]

I also notice I snore sometimes. The vibration from my snoring seems to numb my soft palette. I also seem to have sleep apnea a little sometimes.

Thanks for the reply.

[Sc...]

I have this and it happens how hard the muscle of my head squeezes. I even have a hard time talking sometimes due to how hard my head squeezes. These drugs are like a neurological torture chamber. 

• Love 1