Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Norfloxacin and Insomnia

[Ho...]

Hi Hockey Gal,

I have no doubt that your insomnia is related to the "floxins" that you took.  I know there's been years you've been separated from benzos but....  Even my former doctor told me that anxiety, etc. has been reported in "normal" people as a side effect.

I hope this passes for you within a few days - I'm sure it will but from now on (IMO) you know that any of the quinolones are medications you can't take ever again - totally messes with the CNS and GABA.  All of the antibiotics disagree with people on the board from what I've been reading but they are by far the lesser of evil.

So sorry this has happened to you - I hope you sleep better soon!

Sara

Hi Hockey Gal,

I have no doubt that your insomnia is related to the "floxins" that you took.  I know there's been years you've been separated from benzos but....   Even my former doctor told me that anxiety, etc. has been reported in "normal" people as a side effect.

I hope this passes for you within a few days - I'm sure it will but from now on (IMO) you know that any of the quinolones are medications you can't take ever again - totally messes with the CNS and GABA.  All of the antibiotics disagree with people on the board from what I've been reading but they are by far the lesser of evil.

Sara

I was wondering if I tried a bit of lavender in the bath tonight just to help me relax.  It never worked with me in April but I am willing ot try it again--either that or epsom salts.  I honeslty think that I have a really sensitive CNS.

Hi Hockey Gal,

I have no doubt that your insomnia is related to the "floxins" that you took.  I know there's been years you've been separated from benzos but....   Even my former doctor told me that anxiety, etc. has been reported in "normal" people as a side effect.

I hope this passes for you within a few days - I'm sure it will but from now on (IMO) you know that any of the quinolones are medications you can't take ever again - totally messes with the CNS and GABA.  All of the antibiotics disagree with people on the board from what I've been reading but they are by far the lesser of evil.

Sara

I was wondering if I tried a bit of lavender in the bath tonight just to help me relax.  It never worked with me in April but I am willing ot try it again--either that or epsom salts.

I think that's a really good idea.  Can you mix the lavendar and the epsom salts together? 

Sara

Hi Hockey Gal,

I have no doubt that your insomnia is related to the "floxins" that you took.  I know there's been years you've been separated from benzos but....   Even my former doctor told me that anxiety, etc. has been reported in "normal" people as a side effect.

I hope this passes for you within a few days - I'm sure it will but from now on (IMO) you know that any of the quinolones are medications you can't take ever again - totally messes with the CNS and GABA.  All of the antibiotics disagree with people on the board from what I've been reading but they are by far the lesser of evil.

Sara

I was wondering if I tried a bit of lavender in the bath tonight just to help me relax.  It never worked with me in April but I am willing ot try it again--either that or epsom salts.

I think that's a really good idea.  Can you mix the lavendar and the epsom salts together?  

Sara

You and I must think alike because that's exactly what I was thinking of doing hahaha! :)  The lavendar is bubble bath.  Can that be mixed with Epsom Salts? Iam happy to say too that as of half an hour ago my floxin anxiety is now gone as well.

You and I must think alike because that's exactly what I was thinking of doing hahaha! :)  The lavendar is bubble bath.  Can that be mixed with Epsom Salts? Iam happy to say too that as of half an hour ago my floxin anxiety is now gone as well.

Hey, all the Epsom salts might do is make your lavender bubble bath less bubbly!  I'm glad your floxin anxiety passed! Whew!  That's a good sign.

One more comment about your bath...  But you probably know this....  Don't make it too hot or take is too late, no more than 2 hours before your bed time. Your body's natural thermostat starts to cool at night which helps one sleep, so raise it with the bath but give it plenty of time to cool down.  Believe me, I've had sleep problems all of my life - well before benzos so I've read up on it and have some experience with it too.  I don't mean to sound like a "know it all"  - just trying to pass on some helpful tips that I've read about and personally experienced along the way.

Here's to a restful night!

Sara

Hey, all the Epsom salts might do is make your lavender bubble bath less bubbly!  I'm glad your floxin anxiety passed! Whew!  That's a good sign.

One more comment about your bath...  But you probably know this....  Don't make it too hot or take is too late, no more than 2 hours before your bed time. Your body's natural thermostat starts to cool at night which helps one sleep, so raise it with the bath but give it plenty of time to cool down.  Believe me, I've had sleep problems all of my life - well before benzos so I've read up on it and have some experience with it too.  I don't mean to sound like a "know it all"  - just trying to pass on some helpful tips that I've read about and personally experienced along the way.

Here's to a restful night!

Sara

I don't mind the tips lol and thanks so much for them! :)  I might also top off the night with a cup of warm milk too! :)

I have also heard that floxins can be an endocrine disruptor too and that's great for someone like me who has a fluctuating thyroid hormone!:(

Well I had a good sleep but woke up with a pounding heart lol but I think that might have been more from the excitement of getting a good night's rest haha.  The lavender still makes me a bit numb but with sleep I can deal with that.

Well I had a good sleep but woke up with a pounding heart lol but I think that might have been more from th but wae excitement of getting a good night's rest haha.  The lavender still makes me a bit numb but with sleep I can deal with that.

Hi Hockey Gal,

I'm glad you got a good night's sleep -  :yippee: but waking up with a pounding heart just plain bites!  I wake up with one every morning so I know how you feel.  The glass of milk was a great idea too.  I hope you get another good night's sleep tonight!

Sara

Well I had a good sleep but woke up with a pounding heart lol but I think that might have been more from th but wae excitement of getting a good night's rest haha.  The lavender still makes me a bit numb but with sleep I can deal with that.

Hi Hockey Gal,

I'm glad you got a good night's sleep -  :yippee: but waking up with a pounding heart just plain bites!  I wake up with one every morning so I know how you feel.  The glass of milk was a great idea too.  I hope you get another good night's sleep tonight!

Sara

I used the Epsom Salts but never used the lavender tonight.  I think it revved up my anxiety a bit today so I just used the salts tonight.  Thanks for reminding me about the milk lol :)

Hi Hockey Gal,

Sara

I used the Epsom Salts but never used the lavender tonight.  I think it revved up my anxiety a bit today so I just used the salts tonight.  Thanks for reminding me about the milk lol :)

Hi Hockey Gal - I'm confused.  You used the Epsom Salts the other night but not the lavender and it revved your anxiety today but you used the Epsom Salts again last night?  I'm sorry, I'm a little slow on the uptake so I don't quite understand.... :idiot:

Sara

Well I had a good sleep but woke up with a pounding heart lol but I think that might have been more from th but wae excitement of getting a good night's rest haha.  The lavender still makes me a bit numb but with sleep I can deal with that.

Hi Hockey Gal,

I'm glad you got a good night's sleep -  :yippee: but waking up with a pounding heart just plain bites!  I wake up with one every morning so I know how you feel.  The glass of milk was a great idea too.  I hope you get another good night's sleep tonight!

Sara

I used the Epsom Salts but never used the lavender tonight.  I think it revved up my anxiety a bit today so I just used the salts tonight.  Thanks for reminding me about the milk lol :)

Hi Hockey Gal - I'm confused.  You used the Epsom Salts the other night but not the lavender and it revved your anxiety today but you used the Epsom Salts again last night?  I'm sorry, I'm a little slow on the uptake so I don't quite understand.... :idiot:

Sara

No I found the lavender revved them up.  It did the past couple of times that I use dit before too but I thought that with time I could use it again, but it never worked out so I never used them last night lol :)

i also did some yoga yesterday too.  I can certainly feel it in my muscles today because I haven't done it in so long.  I find it's the most complete workout ever.  I am finding jelly arms and legs from the floxacin and hoping the yoga works.  It certainly works for anxiety.

I never used the Epsom Salts last night either and no pounding heart this morning! :)  Had a good night's sleep as well! :)

saraann when you had the bad bout with floxins could you do any exercise?  I did yoga once this week and found it good for the jelly legs and arms but not so good for my stomache.  I haven't exercised other than that and I am an avid exercser too.

saraann when you had the bad bout with floxins could you do any exercise?  I did yoga once this week and found it good for the jelly legs and arms but not so good for my stomache.  I haven't exercised other than that and I am an avid exercser too.

Hi Hockey Gal,

all I took was one dose of Cipro and that was enough to do me in for a couple of days just a couple of weeks after my c/t from ativan.

My Mother was in the hospital, sick and dying at the time so my life was consumed by that.  I don't think I was exercising at the time but I can't quite remember (3 1/2 years ago).

Well, if yoga helped your jelly legs and arms that's a good thing.  I have no idea about your stomachache (sorry you have one). I'm sure the Floxins upset your stomach, almost all antibiotics are tough on the tummy.  Hopefully it will resolve on it's own soon.

I miss exercising - I have to build up to more of it - it's the pain that holds me back.

Good for getting out there and taking the Yoga Class!

Sara

saraann when you had the bad bout with floxins could you do any exercise?  I did yoga once this week and found it good for the jelly legs and arms but not so good for my stomache.  I haven't exercised other than that and I am an avid exercser too.

Hi Hockey Gal,

all I took was one dose of Cipro and that was enough to do me in for a couple of days just a couple of weeks after my c/t from ativan.

My Mother was in the hospital, sick and dying at the time so my life was consumed by that.  I don't think I was exercising at the time but I can't quite remember (3 1/2 years ago).

Well, if yoga helped your jelly legs and arms that's a good thing.  I have no idea about your stomachache (sorry you have one). I'm sure the Floxins upset your stomach, almost all antibiotics are tough on the tummy.  Hopefully it will resolve on it's own soon.

I miss exercising - I have to build up to more of it - it's the pain that holds me back.

Good for getting out there and taking the Yoga Class!

Sara

I am finding that I m still having it a week later but then again I took more too  I am wondering if I am also thinking about it way too much thus bringing on the anxiety hence the jelly legs and arms.  I know that the doctor was the one who gave it to me but I should have known better than to take it too.  chalk it up to lesson leanred.  I am thinking about getting a medic alert braclet now for that.

Oh no it was the yoga that was hard on my stomache muscles not the floxin lol! :)  that' snothing new though because it's always that way after I haven't done for a while.  I never went to a class.  I have this Jane Fonda one that I have had since 1994 and it's in VCR mode not DVD lol :)

I have had so much happen to me since Ativan cold turkey that nothing phases me anymore and I have learned to deal with it as it comes.

Had some of Mom's homemeade chicken soup for supper tongiht.  Worked wonders for the soul lol :)

I can tell yo one thing, though.  I am only going to let this be a minor setback for me.  Ativan never ruined my life and this won't either.  I won't let it.  I am also thinking about finding another family doctor because of this too.