Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  447 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Two unrelated Question For the Long Haulers

[...]

Hi All,

I am still kind of new to the community, so I hope I'm posting my questions correctly.

1) First question- Does anyone on here also have Ulcerative Colitis? My regular maintenance medicine has stopped working, but I'm afraid to start a new medication because of my fragile brain. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

2) My second question is about alcohol consumption during protracted withdrawal. I didn't have a drop of alcohol the first four years of my recovery, but I still felt like hell. I just felt like I wasn't healing anyway, so why not have a drink every once in while, on holidays etc. For the last eight years I have had an occasional drink every now and then, like maybe five or six times in a year. I am now wondering if maybe even this small amount of alcohol has prevented me from healing completely. It's just so frustrating and scary to be 13 years out and still struggle. I just want to be my old self again. I'd love to hear other people's experience regarding benzo withdrawal and alcohol, or any thoughts on the matter at all. Thanks

[mo...]

I sometimes have half a bottle of beer once a week. I don't know if it hurts or not - it's just nice to have even a brief bit of relaxation on a Saturday night. I sometimes feel tempted to have the other half - but I just don't right now. At a social event (which have been very few) I also may drink a bit of wine. To tell you the truth I always feel drunk from long sleep deprivation and DR and DP. I truly can't imagine having a clear head with my brain functioning the way I want it to. I marvel at people who seem to have such an easy time just living their ordinary lives, and even remembering myself without such constant suffering.

[de...]

@[...]  Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  I am so sorry it has been a long struggle.  As to alcohol consumption, I think abstaining until you have been healed for a couple of years might be prudent.  Of course, everyone is different, but out of abundance of caution  I would not drink alcohol.

Thank you both for the resoponses. I'm hoping that abstaining from alcohol will be the magic thing that heals me once and for all. 

[Na...]
6 hours ago, [[d...] said:

@[...]  Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  I am so sorry it has been a long struggle.  As to alcohol consumption, I think abstaining until you have been healed for a couple of years might be prudent.  Of course, everyone is different, but out of abundance of caution  I would not drink alcohol.

I agree with the above. A lot of post benzo people have issues with alcohol. Some can consume it in moderation from the get go without issue. Some find that they can consume moderate quantities of alcohol after being healed for some years. 

Unfortunately some users that have considered themselves to be healed for years have been thrown into a setback with alcohol consumption. So it's a bit of a crapshoot. 

I'll never drink. The risk-reward ratio it too unfavorable in my estimation, but other people may reach different conclusions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, [[N...] said:

I agree with the above. A lot of post benzo people have issues with alcohol. Some can consume it in moderation from the get go without issue. Some find that they can consume moderate quantities of alcohol after being healed for some years. 

Unfortunately some users that have considered themselves to be healed for years have been thrown into a setback with alcohol consumption. So it's a bit of a crapshoot. 

I'll never drink. The risk-reward ratio it too unfavorable in my estimation, but other people may reach different conclusions.

Yes, it does seem to be a crapshoot. My last sip of alcohol was about 3 months ago. I'm hoping that after a year of abstinence I will feel some level of improvement and then I'll never have another sip. Not worth the risk. 

[Sh...]

I personally think this is a great idea.  I'd love to drink as well but I know I'm ultimately going to feel better if I don't than if do.  I can't say I miss the hangovers either.  Alcohol affects the brain in a similar way to benzos so it makes sense to avoid it.  

Edited by [Sh...]