Bed Mattress Question for my mother

[An...]

[An...]

I am my mother's caretaker FYI. Many of you know this already. I love my mother dearly and will do almost anything I can to help her in these golden years of life. My question is about bed mattresses. My mother has an adjustable bed with a nice foam mattress that I bought her. She says when she tries to sleep in the bed, she aches all over. FYI, my mother has severe arthritis. The main thing that bothers her is her right hip joint. Even after adjusting the bed's head and foot, she says it is still too uncomfortable so she continues to sleep in a lift chair that I also bought her a few years ago. I don't quite understand how she sleeps in the adjustable lift chair but not in the bigger, adjustable bed. LOL. Anyway, my question is about a purple mattress. She saw this on TV and thinks it could help her to sleep in her bed but we all know how those late-night infomercials work. They make it sound like this mattress will take away all your aches and pains but we all know these companies wanna sell their products and make lots of money. I read many online reviews on Amazon and other places and the reviews are mixed. My question is does anyone here sleep on a purple mattress and would you recommend buying one? I do not think it will help her that much but she is convinced it will, LOL again. Those infomercials can be pretty convincing. These mattresses come with a hefty price tag and I am wondering if the price is really worth it. They have a 100-day money-back guarantee if you don't like it and wish to return, probably minus S&H  fees, restocking fees (etc), so you will not get all your money back.

Edited by [An...]
edit after proofreading

[Ti...]

Did you end up buying the mattress? I have found the foam mattresses to be too body conforming, (had a really expensive temperpedic and hated it) which causes much pain for whatever reason. I bought a Saatva after much deliberation. It’s a hybrid and has coils underneath the padding. They also have a nice return policy and donate the returns to veterans. I got the semi firm and it was too hard, so they came within 24 hours and brought me a plush. I’ve had it for over a year now and it’s held up quite nicely. The 11 inch turned out be more practical than the 14 inch. I still wake up in pain, but nothing like before. I also have a feather bed topper for some softness since my nerve endings are so fried, but I have to fluff it every few days, but welcome the exercise. It’s a workout. 

Edited by [Ti...]
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
[An...]

Thanks for your reply @[Ti...]. It is much appreciated. No, I have not purchased another mattress for my mother yet. She still mostly sleeps in her lift chair. She says she wants something plush so the hybrid Saatva like you have might be beneficial. I will do a little googling after I finish up some yard work today. How much did you pay for the plush hybrid if you don't mind me asking?

[Ti...]

Sure, no problem. It was around $1500, I think. Really reasonable compared to the mattress store prices since they don’t have a storefront I suppose. Those were all running minimum $3K and up, except at the discontinued discount stores, which had a lot of mattresses with bad reviews. They just don’t make them like they used to when they would last for a decade or more and hold up. I really wanted one that was all coils with a pillow top, but all I could find was way out of my price range, and most are all hybrids now anyway, if not some weird combination of foam. 

[Br...]

@[An...] Does your mother receive any home care services?  I'm wondering if it would be helpful to get input about what would increase her comfort in bed from an occupational therapist or physical therapist. Just a thought.

• Love 1

[An...]

Thanks Brighter. I have suggested this to her. Her doctor has also suggested this. It is available to her but she refuses to take advantage of it.  The problem is my mother. She says she does not want anyone coming to her home bc on some days, she may be in too much pain and not feel like doing any therapy, LOL (You can't make this stuff up @[Br...] 😁) I tried to explain to her that she needs the physical therapy to help reduce her pain but she can be pretty stubborn at times. I am still trying to gently persuade her. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

[An...]
On 21/03/2024 at 10:23, [[T...] said:

Sure, no problem. It was around $1500, I think. Really reasonable compared to the mattress store prices since they don’t have a storefront I suppose. Those were all running minimum $3K and up, except at the discontinued discount stores, which had a lot of mattresses with bad reviews. They just don’t make them like they used to when they would last for a decade or more and hold up. I really wanted one that was all coils with a pillow top, but all I could find was way out of my price range, and most are all hybrids now anyway, if not some weird combination of foam. 

Thanks again @[Ti...]. $1500 is not bad....very affordable.👍

• 3 weeks later...
[Bu...]

Hey @[An...],

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.   I looked into the Purple mattress, but decided against it because it said that you have to use their stretchy sheets for it to work properly.  (I like my crisp, cotton sheets.)

I have the original Saatva at the middle of the range comfort level.  It gets painful for me about halfway through the night with my joint and muscle pain.  (But, when my mother-in-law comes to visit, she loves it, so it's in the guest room now.)  It does have good support, so maybe the softer version would have worked.

I think with all my joint pain and weird muscle aches I needed something a little softer, but still with good support.  I found it in the Layla hybrid mattress.  It's a flippable, double sided mattress, which is nice.  I sleep on the soft side.  I also have a 2 inch gel memory foam topper for the nights when everything just really, really hurts.  I put it on one side so I can just roll over to whatever side is more comfortable that night.  It has a good return policy:  you have to keep it for 4 weeks and return it within 120 days, but it's a full refund, with no pickup fee (at least that was the policy when I bought it last fall).

Anyway, if you already solved this, then please disregard, but if not, then I hope this helps. :) 

• Love 1

[An...]
15 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Hey @[An...],

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.   I looked into the Purple mattress, but decided against it because it said that you have to use their stretchy sheets for it to work properly.  (I like my crisp, cotton sheets.)

I have the original Saatva at the middle of the range comfort level.  It gets painful for me about halfway through the night with my joint and muscle pain.  (But, when my mother-in-law comes to visit, she loves it, so it's in the guest room now.)  It does have good support, so maybe the softer version would have worked.

I think with all my joint pain and weird muscle aches I needed something a little softer, but still with good support.  I found it in the Layla hybrid mattress.  It's a flippable, double sided mattress, which is nice.  I sleep on the soft side.  I also have a 2 inch gel memory foam topper for the nights when everything just really, really hurts.  I put it on one side so I can just roll over to whatever side is more comfortable that night.  It has a good return policy:  you have to keep it for 4 weeks and return it within 120 days, but it's a full refund, with no pickup fee (at least that was the policy when I bought it last fall).

Anyway, if you already solved this, then please disregard, but if not, then I hope this helps. :) 

Thanks for your input @[Bu...]. Very helpful......👍