Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  448 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

4 month setback from oxycodone

[ti...]

Hey everyone, 

I'm 3.5 years off benzos and had been doing ok for the most part. I'd say I was 80% better as long as I avoided triggers and even if I stumbled on a trigger, the wave would only last anywhere from a few days to a week or two. 4 months ago I took 10 mg of oxycodone for pain from passing a kidney stone. A day later I got thrown back into a huge wave, mostly nerve pain symptoms. It's been on and off since then but mostly on. I don't really understand why this setback is lasting so long and I'm scared. Opioids don't affect gaba or gaba receptors, right? I tried to drink a beer at 1 year off and had less of a setback than this, and alcohol actually affects gaba receptors. I don't understand any of this. I'm in agony.

Hi @[ti...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing a setback. It's understandable that you're scared. As you probably know, people have different reactions to different meds. I know you say it comes in waves, but have noticed during the times when it does occur whether there are any slight improvements and if the duration is getting a bit shorter? Are you keeping a journal of the intensity and the times? Sometimes improvement is so gradual that we don't notice it. 

I am sorry you have to go through all this again when you have been recovering so well.

No, if anything it's gotten worse over the 4 months. The last 3 weeks have been hell.

I think we're in such a fragile situation that almost anything might create a setback. 

But, setbacks overwhelmingly tend to be transitory. Even if they can take a long time to reverse. Of course, when you're suffering every moment seems like eternity.

@[ti...] I so understand your predicament. Almost 3.5 years out and I’ve been feeling awful again since getting Covid 3 months ago. I’m reacting to everything again after feeling almost healed. The internal anxiety is debilitating right now - something I haven’t felt in years since my taper. Are you having any improvements?

On 14/02/2024 at 14:09, [[N...] said:

I think we're in such a fragile situation that almost anything might create a setback. 

But, setbacks overwhelmingly tend to be transitory. Even if they can take a long time to reverse. Of course, when you're suffering every moment seems like eternity.

I really hope so. 

7 hours ago, [[M...] said:

@[ti...] I so understand your predicament. Almost 3.5 years out and I’ve been feeling awful again since getting Covid 3 months ago. I’m reacting to everything again after feeling almost healed. The internal anxiety is debilitating right now - something I haven’t felt in years since my taper. Are you having any improvements?

Not yet. I thought I was through the worst of withdrawl and now this setback has me questioning if I'll ever get back to my old baseline. 

Yes, opioids have an inhibitory effect on gabaA, which is why many people on opioids long term for chronic pain are also put on benzos and other psychotropics.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-reveal-neural-mechanisms-underlying-opioid.html

I had to take opioids for a ruptured appendicitis early in 2022 and it didn’t throw me into a wave, but other drugs have. Actually I got a little relief from benzo WD pain while healing from that surgery and sepsis.

Hopefully your setback will be short lived for you and you get back to your baseline soon. 

On 23/02/2024 at 14:57, [[T...] said:

Yes, opioids have an inhibitory effect on gabaA, which is why many people on opioids long term for chronic pain are also put on benzos and other psychotropics.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-reveal-neural-mechanisms-underlying-opioid.html

I had to take opioids for a ruptured appendicitis early in 2022 and it didn’t throw me into a wave, but other drugs have. Actually I got a little relief from benzo WD pain while healing from that surgery and sepsis.

Hopefully your setback will be short lived for you and you get back to your baseline soon. 

I read that about the gaba effect, but a 4 month set back from a one time dose of opioids seems crazy.