Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Trouble swallowing

Does anyone else have trouble swallowing? Like your tongue is thick, numb, throat closing with a lump in my throat. Thick thick saliva!

This is breathtaking, and causing panic and anxiety, I can Hardly type with all of these symptoms! This really stinks. I know one guy Said he had something similar but not quite this, it's freaking me out a little bit. I'm shaking and jerking so bad, got my shower but now thi gs are worse!

Anybody?

Maybe this is for an anxiety topic idk :sick:

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections

What you are describing is not uncommon and is a symptom.  I have had this, also.  Many have.  It’s one more uncomfortable thing to endure moving through this.  I’m so used to it now, I am kind of desensitized to it.  The lump in the throat comes and goes.  I am in no way trying to trivialize these symptoms.  Just know this is common and seems to flare up and then eases again.  I panicked when it first started to happen.  I hope others who have experienced it will comment.  I hate using this term, but it is ‘normal’.

There is a way to search the site for inquiries regarding symptoms.  Use your search engine and type in as an example:

site:benzobuddies.org lump in throat

Search this way for anything.  Make sure there is a space after ‘org’ and then your key search words.  It is the easiest way and most efficient way to search.  Better than the search bar on the site.

Warmly,

F

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, [[F...] said:

What you are describing is not uncommon and is a symptom.  I have had this, also.  Many have.  It’s one more uncomfortable thing to endure moving through this.  I’m so used to it now, I am kind of desensitized to it.  The lump in the throat comes and goes.  I am in no way trying to trivialize these symptoms.  Just know this is common and seems to flare up and then eases again.  I panicked when it first started to happen.  I hope others who have experienced it will comment.  I hate using this term, but it is ‘normal’.

There is a way to search the site for inquiries regarding symptoms.  Use your search engine and type in as an example:

site:benzobuddies.org lump in throat

Search this way for anything.  Make sure there is a space after ‘org’ and then your key search words.  It is the easiest way and most efficient way to search.  Better than the search bar on the site.

Warmly,

F

Thank u Faith. Did u also have thick saliva, tongue and mouth, lips numb, feeling like your throat is closing? 

I've had the lump in my throat before with anxiety,  it's just everything together and all these symptoms.  Feels like I'm going to come apart with all the jerkiness and stiffness, muscle spasms, my ears are screaming and my whole body, head and face are stinging. Everything at once today I guess. 

Thanks for responding 

Ns

Edited by [ns...]

• 1 month later...
[iz...]

I've been going through this for the past month, it's so frustrating, how are you doing now?

[ns...]

Hi zzy01, sorry your going thru this, it's not fun for sure!

My mouth is still numb. I ignore it mostly now but it's getting difficult to talk. My tongue feels swollen and my throat is numb too. My whole mouth is numb and feels strange. It gets like this when I take my dose if lorazapam. I had a reaction to it from the start and tapering has been very difficult but, I'm almost done! 

I'm numb all over and as u just learned, the body numbness is probably due to a pre existing condition. I have sciatica and a lumbar disc issue that I need an mri for. So I thinks that's probably right.

As explained to me, benzos are excellent muscle relaxers and now they're leaving our bodies and withdrawal seems to go to the weakest link. 

I'm doing OK, had a bad day but I'll be ok.

How are u? How far are u in your taper?

ns

11 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

I've been going through this for the past month, it's so frustrating, how are you doing now?

[iz...]
46 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Hi zzy01, sorry your going thru this, it's not fun for sure!

My mouth is still numb. I ignore it mostly now but it's getting difficult to talk. My tongue feels swollen and my throat is numb too. My whole mouth is numb and feels strange. It gets like this when I take my dose if lorazapam. I had a reaction to it from the start and tapering has been very difficult but, I'm almost done! 

I'm numb all over and as u just learned, the body numbness is probably due to a pre existing condition. I have sciatica and a lumbar disc issue that I need an mri for. So I thinks that's probably right.

As explained to me, benzos are excellent muscle relaxers and now they're leaving our bodies and withdrawal seems to go to the weakest link. 

I'm doing OK, had a bad day but I'll be ok.

How are u? How far are u in your taper?

ns

I'm so sorry your going through this. I hope what ever it is you get through it and see light at the end of the tunnel. Unbelievable what is happening to our bodies. I can't believe some of the symptoms I have gotten from this withdrawal, shocking. 

I've already tapered of valium. Been off it for 10 weeks on Sunday 

• Like 2

[iz...]

I have the numb throat too. When I eat, I can't feel the food going down, it is so strange. And my lips and mouth are numb also, comes and goes 

[ns...]
3 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

I have the numb throat too. When I eat, I can't feel the food going down, it is so strange. And my lips and mouth are numb also, comes and goes 

You know it could be anxiety. This sounds exactly like anxiety.

Of course withdrawal from benzos causes anxiety I think. I'm really hypersensitive, I can feel everything! Anxiety can cause a feeling of a lump in the throat, tingling, stinging, muscle spasms, numbness and a bunch of crazy symptoms. 

One time I couldn't swallow a capsule. It was terrible. It would not go down! But I relaxed myself  ate something and drank more water slowly and it went, it all went down.

I think it just feels that way, but it's really not that bad. Breathing exercises help.a lot.

Trey Jones anxiety on YouTube is really good. He had severe anxiety and a bunch of health anxiety issues. He's so great at explaining this and tells how he overcame all of it!

I hope you can watch him. He's also kinda funny but also, talks about hypersensitivity, hyperawareness, hyperactivity etc. He does a good job explaining symptoms and how to deal with them. I hope you'll ck him out!

I'm sorry your going thru this, I know it's a little scary but it wint hurt you ok, try not to focus in these symptoms. Change your focus, relax as best u can. Be really still, breath in thru your mouth and out your nose slowly.

Remember, try not to focus on those symptoms, they will dig in and get stronger, so it's important you change your focus and keep your mind busy on something else. 

I hope this helps you izzy01, I know it's really tough, but your going to get thru this! Believe that ok.

Take care,  I'll be around Tomorrow 

Night

Ns

:smitten:

[ns...]
19 minutes ago, [[i...] said:

I'm so sorry your going through this. I hope what ever it is you get through it and see light at the end of the tunnel. Unbelievable what is happening to our bodies. I can't believe some of the symptoms I have gotten from this withdrawal, shocking. 

I've already tapered of valium. Been off it for 10 weeks on Sunday 

Oh, great job! I didn't realize you finished your taper! That's so awesome!

So now your going thru the post withdrawal process. 

What other symptoms are you having izzy01?

[iz...]
3 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

You know it could be anxiety. This sounds exactly like anxiety.

Of course withdrawal from benzos causes anxiety I think. I'm really hypersensitive, I can feel everything! Anxiety can cause a feeling of a lump in the throat, tingling, stinging, muscle spasms, numbness and a bunch of crazy symptoms. 

One time I couldn't swallow a capsule. It was terrible. It would not go down! But I relaxed myself  ate something and drank more water slowly and it went, it all went down.

I think it just feels that way, but it's really not that bad. Breathing exercises help.a lot.

Trey Jones anxiety on YouTube is really good. He had severe anxiety and a bunch of health anxiety issues. He's so great at explaining this and tells how he overcame all of it!

I hope you can watch him. He's also kinda funny but also, talks about hypersensitivity, hyperawareness, hyperactivity etc. He does a good job explaining symptoms and how to deal with them. I hope you'll ck him out!

I'm sorry your going thru this, I know it's a little scary but it wint hurt you ok, try not to focus in these symptoms. Change your focus, relax as best u can. Be really still, breath in thru your mouth and out your nose slowly.

Remember, try not to focus on those symptoms, they will dig in and get stronger, so it's important you change your focus and keep your mind busy on something else. 

I hope this helps you izzy01, I know it's really tough, but your going to get thru this! Believe that ok.

Take care,  I'll be around Tomorrow 

Night

Ns

:smitten:

Thank you so much for your reply, i really appreciate it. It all makes sense when you put it the way you just put everything into perspective. I really do think it is my anxiety because I am so aware of everything in my body and that's all I can think of, day and night. I literally feel every sensation that goes on in my body and I obsess over it and then off to google symptoms, round and round in circles. I'll check out the YouTube video, thank you so much, I appreciate ot

• Like 1

[iz...]
5 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Oh, great job! I didn't realize you finished your taper! That's so awesome!

So now your going thru the post withdrawal process. 

What other symptoms are you having izzy01?

Thank you, been a very challenging journey. 

So my limbs have been going numb off and on, heart palpations, shaking on and off, uninterested in any activity, crying all the time for no reason, brain fog, muscle aches, muscle weakness, you name it. I've had so much as I'm sure many on here have too. I'm so tired :(

• Sad 1

[ns...]
Just now, [[i...] said:

Thank you, been a very challenging journey. 

So my limbs have been going numb off and on, heart palpations, shaking on and off, uninterested in any activity, crying all the time for no reason, brain fog, muscle aches, muscle weakness, you name it. I've had so much as I'm sure many on here have too. I'm so tired :(

Oh you poor thing!

This sounds like withdrawal symptoms.

I had all of these symptoms when I was forced tapered almost 4 yrs ago. I didn't know what was wrong with me!

I went back on lorazapam last April and had to taper in August. I had a bad reaction to the drug.

I.still have all of those symptoms and mote but I am close to being done so it's getting harder but I feel some healing as well.

I'm so sorry your going thru this, I know how difficult it is. It's challenging, you feel like you'll never heal, but truthfully, if I'd had known I was in withdrawal I wouldn't have gone back on them. I found out in the er, they gave me lorazepam again and they helped, but it wasn't like before. 

I kind of thought it was the pills but wasn't really sure because they cause so many symptoms that you think you have a disease or something!

Benzos lie, they play with our mind. Your brain is healing, benzos are great muscle relaxers and when they leave our body and brain, there's a lot if healing that has to happen. 

A warm bath with Epson salts, ice packs, heating pads  tea. These were suggested to me just tonight but I can no longer tolerate any if this. 

I.think watching trey Jones,  Emma on YouTube with therapy in a nutshell would be good also.

Both are very good ad helped me a great deal when I had finished my taper. I had anxiety and panic attacks and I was amazed how much their input helped me.

Once I finish this taper I'll be back watching them.

izzy01, I hope you get relief, I know you will heal, it's important to change your focus, and change your mind. Try not to focus in those symptoms ok,they will dig in.

Be compassionate with yourself. 

Tell yourself, I am safe, I'm uncomfortable bit I'm ok. Do this every all day until your brain believes it!

Stay away from sugar, smoking and anything that is stimulating. 

Eat healthy, drink lots of fluids, water. Potassium, magnesium, etc.

Healthy ok

I'll be around tomorrow ok,

I hope you have a restful night and get plenty of sleep 😴 

Talk to u soon ok

Night

Ns

:therethere:

[ns...]
Just now, [[n...] said:

Oh you poor thing!

This sounds like withdrawal symptoms.

I had all of these symptoms when I was forced tapered almost 4 yrs ago. I didn't know what was wrong with me!

I went back on lorazapam last April and had to taper in August. I had a bad reaction to the drug.

I.still have all of those symptoms and mote but I am close to being done so it's getting harder but I feel some healing as well.

I'm so sorry your going thru this, I know how difficult it is. It's challenging, you feel like you'll never heal, but truthfully, if I'd had known I was in withdrawal I wouldn't have gone back on them. I found out in the er, they gave me lorazepam again and they helped, but it wasn't like before. 

I kind of thought it was the pills but wasn't really sure because they cause so many symptoms that you think you have a disease or something!

Benzos lie, they play with our mind. Your brain is healing, benzos are great muscle relaxers and when they leave our body and brain, there's a lot if healing that has to happen. 

A warm bath with Epson salts, ice packs, heating pads  tea. These were suggested to me just tonight but I can no longer tolerate any if this. 

I.think watching trey Jones,  Emma on YouTube with therapy in a nutshell would be good also.

Both are very good ad helped me a great deal when I had finished my taper. I had anxiety and panic attacks and I was amazed how much their input helped me.

Once I finish this taper I'll be back watching them.

izzy01, I hope you get relief, I know you will heal, it's important to change your focus, and change your mind. Try not to focus in those symptoms ok,they will dig in.

Be compassionate with yourself. 

Tell yourself, I am safe, I'm uncomfortable bit I'm ok. Do this every all day until your brain believes it!

Stay away from sugar, smoking and anything that is stimulating. 

Eat healthy, drink lots of fluids, water. Potassium, magnesium, etc.

Healthy ok

I'll be around tomorrow ok,

I hope you have a restful night and get plenty of sleep 😴 

Talk to u soon ok

Night

Ns

:therethere:

Izzy01, I know your scared, it's OK to cry, it's OK to laugh!

Try this, be thankful, grateful. Think of how grateful you are for food, a bed, a roof over your head, anything and everything you can think of that other people don't have practice this everyday ok.

It's amazing how thankfulness can change our prospective and it is healing.

Talk to u tomorrow Izzy01 

Night now 😴 

[iz...]
On 15/03/2024 at 16:53, [[n...] said:

Izzy01, I know your scared, it's OK to cry, it's OK to laugh!

Try this, be thankful, grateful. Think of how grateful you are for food, a bed, a roof over your head, anything and everything you can think of that other people don't have practice this everyday ok.

It's amazing how thankfulness can change our prospective and it is healing.

Talk to u tomorrow Izzy01 

Night now 😴 

Sorry for the late reply. I can't thank you enough for recommending me to watch Trey Jones. It's been a life saviour. I had huge panic attacks this weekend and watching his videos calmed me and brought me back to reality. I highly think majority of my symptoms are related to my anxiety and hypochondria. The reason why I got on the benzos in the first place is because of anxiety and hypochondria. I guess getting off Benzos really brought back every symptom I had pretty much before it. 

• Like 1

[ns...]
3 hours ago, [[i...] said:

Sorry for the late reply. I can't thank you enough for recommending me to watch Trey Jones. It's been a life saviour. I had huge panic attacks this weekend and watching his videos calmed me and brought me back to reality. I highly think majority of my symptoms are related to my anxiety and hypochondria. The reason why I got on the benzos in the first place is because of anxiety and hypochondria. I guess getting off Benzos really brought back every symptom I had pretty much before it. 

Izzy01 that's so great! Glad his videos are helping!

Sorry I missed you. I'm going back to bed now but I'm so happy to hear this.

Hopefully I'll be around tomorrow evening ok?

Take care 

Ns

• 1 month later...
[iz...]
On 17/03/2024 at 19:45, [[n...] said:

Izzy01 that's so great! Glad his videos are helping!

Sorry I missed you. I'm going back to bed now but I'm so happy to hear this.

Hopefully I'll be around tomorrow evening ok?

Take care 

Ns

Hey, been nearly two months since we had this discussion, how are you feeling these days? I hope you are well and doing better