Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Concept of Accumulation and Elimination of the Drug in System

[Kh...]

Can anyone explain the concept of accumulation of benzos in our system as we taper?  I am down to 2.5 mg of Valium and have been tapering for 3 months.  It seems like such a small amount of Valium taken on a daily basis but my sense is that it is accumulating in my system such that my blood probably has more drug in it.  That said, logic would seem that as I add each day my body should have also metabolized or eliminated some of the drug?  Is the elimination speed consistent with the accumulation speed?  Or vice versa?  I know it’s a theoretical question but there must be some science in there somewhere?  Thanks in advance for anyone that might understand this stuff.  🙏🙏

It accumulates in fat like so many other drugs.  THC for example may show up in tests months after use.

I guess my question is does the drug accumulate faster than it eliminates or is the timeline of a similar length?  Seems like it should be or when taking these drugs daily you would only have an increase in amounts in the blood unless ur completely stop. 

12 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I guess my question is does the drug accumulate faster than it eliminates or is the timeline of a similar length?  Seems like it should be or when taking these drugs daily you would only have an increase in amounts in the blood unless ur completely stop. 

It depends on the benzo half-life, the dose and your metabolism.

In an ideal world, these values should be calculated after a couple of blood/urine tests and then we can proceed to take our doses at some hour (perhaps different with each passing day) and taper accordingly.