Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  448 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

New here-looking for support!

[wa...]

Hi all, I’m now past the point of being protracted. I’m 21 months off benzos and 18 months off the meds that detox added to get me off. Yes, I now know how bad detox is. I’m living with the horrific consequences of it. I obviously did not know how awful this could get. I’m probably a worse case as far as my symptoms and I’m terribly alone and in need of support. I’d be really grateful for any support anyone can offer. Thanks

More than I can even describe. Severe akathisia, muscle rigidity and spasms, breathing issues, tinnitus, and hyperacusis, insomnia.. I could go on. I’m not at all functional, haven’t been able to leave my house in a year

I feel the same @[wa...]

Especislly for the muscles . It’s horrible …

severe pain. Head pressure , tight rubber bands muscles, feeing unwell , feel like collapsing completely almost every second of the day.. Dystonia severe

jeez
I hope it ends one day

I'm so sorry to hear you are dealing with this unfortunate ordeal. You are not totally alone. We may not have the exact symptoms' blueprint...but these symptoms can, for the most part, all be attributed to these drugs. That is my own belief.

Granted, some health issues may have existed prior to benzo use, or other health issues may have arisen post-benzo use; but I'm convinced, that the consequences of having used these drugs is far reaching. And unbelievable to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it.

I have had maybe two-three people whom I've spoken to face to face who fully understand this process, due to having experienced it only. It definitely can isolate us in our thinking, believing that we are alone as we travel this road.:(

Thanks @[Bl...] It’s quite lonely, especially when I’m so severe that I can’t get out. And yes, I’m sure it’s all due to withdrawal from the benzos. I have no preexisting conditions, and I was prescribed them for sleep. I keep wishing I had a Time Machine to go back and refuse to take them. Alas, none of us do…

It will get better with time. But it appears everyone is different as to how long it takes before each symptom lessons in intensity or even goes away.

I too had akathisia pretty bad in the beginning. Couldn't sit still...had to keep walking to feel some sense of relief. I had no idea it was Ativan causing the problem. It took over a year of not knowing, before I realized through the course of events, that it was clearly the drugs causing my symptoms.

I was too sick to really grasp that the drugs were the issue...I did suspect them, though. But again, was too sick to fully feel motivated to research these drugs on the Internet(had dial-up then..in 2012). I just know I was in another world that made me appear to be literally insane....yet at the same time 'capable'. I still can't believe I went through what I did. To this day I'm still recovering. And most my days I am at home trying to survive this ongoing ordeal. But, in general, it is no where as bad as even a year ago. So it does get better.

Insomnia was why I am where I am today as to these drugs. And I agree whole heartedly with you, in that I too wish I had never taken a sleep medication(Ambien/Z-drug). I asked for it, and the doctor was agreeable to prescribing it.