Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

one month off of benzos

[lo...]

i promised myself that i would come back and post on benzobuddies once i had successfully tapered off of klonopin. it will be 4 weeks tomorrow. i didn’t know if i would make it this far but i want to let people know that is definitely possible. it is very doable.

the biggest advice i have is to do it at your OWN pace. obviously use the ashton manual as a guide and consult with your doctor/psychiatrist but even then i based all of my cuts on my own symptoms and what was happening in my life at the time. if you look at my tapering dates it might seem very strange but i knew the only way this would be successful for me is if i felt completely comfortable with the process and i was 100% in control. my psychiatrist was not very helpful because i don’t think she is very familiar with benzo withdrawal, but that’s where benzobuddies was VERY helpful. although, i would be careful about what you media you consume regarding benzo withdrawal symptoms, especially if you are an anxious person like me. i would start reading horror stories and then start spiraling. i started being more careful about how i used the forum and did not go down rabbit holes about “what if” scenarios.

just take one day at a time, one minute at a time. i would make a calendar for each month with my projected taper dates on it and cross it off each day. that kept me focused and grounded.

other things that were helpful: walking, positive media (happy podcasts and good music), working out, eating healthy (mostly), cutting back on workload/social load, a few understanding loved ones and magnesium supplements seemed to help me as well (but could be different for everyone). i also gave myself a lot of grace and spoiled myself. i allowed myself to “give in” to things like that extra glass of wine or an extra long nap. you are doing something mentally, physically & even spiritually exhausting. it might not look like it from the outside but that’s ok. your suffering is valid and you are allowed to feel frustrated and upset about it.

for me the hardest part was the last 6 months. that’s when i started having alot of anxiety, panic attacks, muscle tremors and all of my worst symptoms appeared. i allowed myself to take benadryl to sleep or unisom (again it’s different for everyone but that helped me). i started doing deep breathing exercises and had a pretty strict bedtime and wake up routine. my mornings were the worst so i added in things that helped wake me up, like a yummy smoothie and a dunk in ice cold water. i was willing to try anything to help with my anxiety, because for me that was my worst symptom. the physical stuff was bearable, but feeling unsafe inside my own mind was horrible. but i kept reminding myself of something my therapist mentioned, your brain is trying to find an equilibrium again and regulate itself. it was so used to the benzos that it has to get used to it’s “new normal”. i also reminded myself that because i had suppressed my anxiety for 7 years with medication that now everything would come flooding back to me. i just had to be gentle with myself and remind myself why i started weaning.

i also wanted to mention some positives that came out of my weaning process:

-i feel less tired in my day to day life, on benzos i was always lethargic

-i can get more done & feel more motivated to do things around the house (i know my husband is happy about that too! lol)

-i haven’t had as much depression as i did on klonopin, i think that was a side effect that i didn’t always realize

there are better days ahead. i’m only 4 weeks out and i feel a lot better than i did while tapering. if you have any questions feel free to ask! :)

Edited by [lo...]
  • Like 4
  • Love 5

@[lo...], I’m thrilled to hear you’re doing so well, congratulations and thank you for fulfilling your promise to yourself by writing your story, you’re giving hope to others. :smitten:

• Like 1

Wow. Awesome story. Thank you for posting it. I can relate to the horror stories. When I WAS reading them, ( not anymore), they would just give me anxiety. The success stories are so uplifting.  Thank you again, and congratulations.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Congratulations! What an uplifting success story to read. It seems a common thread that people who taper slowly often feel better after they jump. 

• Like 1

hello @[lo...], your post was exactly what I needed to see this a.m.  I've not been on BB for basically the same reasons you mentioned but I so missed having anyone to talk to that understands.

Your story hit me right where I needed it :)  I am tapering the very same way and am already a success at it although I'm just halfway through.  I'm doing 3% twice a month of klonopin/clonazapam.  I see so much improvement already and I eat a basic keto diet, which I had started 3 years ago next month.  I am also very committed to exercise, and particularly like my in-home workouts since I left the gym I got a good jump-start with. 

I'm 71 this month and could not be in as good of shape as I am without my nutrition protocol and exercise, but top of the right things I chose, is the slow taper totally directed by listening to my body.  My "about me" looks a bit odd to some as well but it works for me.  Only once I tried to up my taper to 6% once a month and it was too much for me but I stuck it out, I think 6 weeks or so. 

I got to comfy with how good I felt and didn't realize I needed to keep going.  So cut my last time at just 3% and it's going ok, very mild changes/wd sxs.

Thanks so much for sharing your story.  I hope I get to talk to you again, as well as any others that feel the way I do about your story :smitten:Denise

On 07/12/2023 at 19:13, [[B...] said:

Thanks for sharing this.  I'm so glad your off and doing so well.

I might have told you before, but your nic is so apropos since I know the best way for me is to "burntheships" so I can't go back as in Mutiny on the Bounty.  I'm old enough I saw the one with Brando, I'll never forget it ;) Denise

53 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

I might have told you before, but your nic is so apropos since I know the best way for me is to "burntheships" so I can't go back as in Mutiny on the Bounty.  I'm old enough I saw the one with Brando, I'll never forget it ;) Denise

Exactly! Moving forward into something better!

Blessings!

Such a great thing to read @[lo...]

I'm so glad to read about people who have strategies that align with what I think will help me. It all helps, what you've listed : the calendar, the extra giving into good things, the strict routines (that's the hardest one for me to keep going steady as I dip into withdrawal symptoms), the exercise and keeping in mind the useful things that loving understanding people say.

I'm thinking I should record this stuff, from me and my partner and replay it every time I need to hear the reassurance, that it is valid to hurt so much and there's nothing to feel guilty about. There's everything to feel pride about, and strength, and determination and resilience. It's easy to forget. Thank you for giving me my dose of hope and faith for the day. And for taking the time to come and share your experiences and your success. Well done and I hope your symptoms get less and less present soon. Wish you a wonderful time while and after recovery :)

On 08/12/2023 at 03:15, [[l...] said:

i promised myself that i would come back and post on benzobuddies once i had successfully tapered off of klonopin. it will be 4 weeks tomorrow. i didn’t know if i would make it this far but i want to let people know that is definitely possible. it is very doable.

the biggest advice i have is to do it at your OWN pace. obviously use the ashton manual as a guide and consult with your doctor/psychiatrist but even then i based all of my cuts on my own symptoms and what was happening in my life at the time. if you look at my tapering dates it might seem very strange but i knew the only way this would be successful for me is if i felt completely comfortable with the process and i was 100% in control. my psychiatrist was not very helpful because i don’t think she is very familiar with benzo withdrawal, but that’s where benzobuddies was VERY helpful. although, i would be careful about what you media you consume regarding benzo withdrawal symptoms, especially if you are an anxious person like me. i would start reading horror stories and then start spiraling. i started being more careful about how i used the forum and did not go down rabbit holes about “what if” scenarios.

just take one day at a time, one minute at a time. i would make a calendar for each month with my projected taper dates on it and cross it off each day. that kept me focused and grounded.

other things that were helpful: walking, positive media (happy podcasts and good music), working out, eating healthy (mostly), cutting back on workload/social load, a few understanding loved ones and magnesium supplements seemed to help me as well (but could be different for everyone). i also gave myself a lot of grace and spoiled myself. i allowed myself to “give in” to things like that extra glass of wine or an extra long nap. you are doing something mentally, physically & even spiritually exhausting. it might not look like it from the outside but that’s ok. your suffering is valid and you are allowed to feel frustrated and upset about it.

for me the hardest part was the last 6 months. that’s when i started having alot of anxiety, panic attacks, muscle tremors and all of my worst symptoms appeared. i allowed myself to take benadryl to sleep or unisom (again it’s different for everyone but that helped me). i started doing deep breathing exercises and had a pretty strict bedtime and wake up routine. my mornings were the worst so i added in things that helped wake me up, like a yummy smoothie and a dunk in ice cold water. i was willing to try anything to help with my anxiety, because for me that was my worst symptom. the physical stuff was bearable, but feeling unsafe inside my own mind was horrible. but i kept reminding myself of something my therapist mentioned, your brain is trying to find an equilibrium again and regulate itself. it was so used to the benzos that it has to get used to it’s “new normal”. i also reminded myself that because i had suppressed my anxiety for 7 years with medication that now everything would come flooding back to me. i just had to be gentle with myself and remind myself why i started weaning.

i also wanted to mention some positives that came out of my weaning process:

-i feel less tired in my day to day life, on benzos i was always lethargic

-i can get more done & feel more motivated to do things around the house (i know my husband is happy about that too! lol)

-i haven’t had as much depression as i did on klonopin, i think that was a side effect that i didn’t always realize

there are better days ahead. i’m only 4 weeks out and i feel a lot better than i did while tapering. if you have any questions feel free to ask! :)

Nice reading! I'm 5 weeks of and can really relate to the last part. I feel much better then i when I was tapering. 

Good job