Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  449 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Therapy and finding life hard

[jo...]

Just wondering if anyone finds therapy at the moment to be too much? I’ve been trying to do EMDR, and while I do find merit in processing trauma that’s there, I have just not felt “well” enough to really do it right now. 

I was also wondering generally, if people just find most things “too hard” a lot of the time. I feel like everything even just a trip to the supermarket or lunch at a cafe which at one time would have been easy or fun. Is now something that takes huge amounts of energy, fear, fatigue and pain.

I’m having CBT meant help with intrusive thoughts, not really helping. Have just started an anti depressant hoping combination of both will work. Depends on therapist, mine puts bit too much pressure on me to do stuff I find impossible. Like when I have a meltdown and get almost hysterical says should go out for a coffee. 

Having a therapist helps in that hour, talking to someone but it's just not enough (not their fault of course!).

I am looking into neurofeedback, hopefully the 1st of the year.

@[le...] I would not work with someone who wasn’t understanding. Mine is very gentle and slow but I still just feel like it’s too much for me right now. Maybe you should try to find someone a little more empathetic to your situation. That doesn’t sound helpful at all 

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely, everything is hard and exhausting. But from the outside it might look like I'm just a useless bum. I do feel I'm letting everyone down. I don't know what I am anymore. I'm just paralyzed with anxiety, depression and grief. I've been searching for a therapist but can't find one that is taking new clients, accepts the insurance, doing in-office, perhaps knows something about Benzos. 

Edited by [Ca...]
Omissions

Its tough, I've spent my whole life wanting to be accepted and now I'm more guarded than ever speaking to someone I should feel the exact opposite with.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2023 at 16:45, [[j...] said:

Mine doesn’t really do talk therapy. She only does emdr which I find just too much right now. 

I tried doing the same thing and it was to much. I felt like all the trauma that i was trying to work on was felt 100 times more intense then in reality it is for me. My emotions were not stable enough to go there. Iv talked to a benzo couch that suggest not hitting on trauma while going through this. I'd gave to agree. Instead I used my therapist to just cry to and to give me reassurance through this process. When I'm better I will work the EMDR again. Best of wishes to you