Important Survey - Please Participate ×

chicory root increases gaba a receptors?

[Si...]

https://jps.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1007/s12576-019-00659-8

It is right at the bottom of this paper, towards the end of the Discussion section...

COX enzyme [37]. In our study also, TNF-α levels decreased with chicory injection in neuropathic rats. Studies on the effects of CE have indicated that compounds of chicory root such as glycosides and flavonoids can modulate the function of ionotrophic GABA receptor. In other words, they elevate the expression level of GABA receptor and especially increase GABA type A receptors [38, 39]

I am eating it becauce I like it and it is supposed to be good for our liver. I didn’t know about the GABA. I am able to read books again and about once week to watch a documentation…

The referenced studies don't support that conclusion. Instead, it appears the compound acts more like a positive allosteric modulator. It's unclear why they suggested otherwise.

In a different study I found, there was indeed an increase in GABAA receptors, but it seems to be a result of pentylenetetrazol (PTZ), a substance used to induce seizures.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with this study is that in the test animals they injected the chicory extract intraperitoneally.  They really don't know what component of the chicory extract gave them the positive result nor what the MOA was. Because they don't know what compound was beneficial, we can't know whether or not it will successfully pass through the digestive tract and enter the bloodstream in a meaningful quantity.

And apparently the quantity needed to get an effect was pretty high - 20% of LD50. LD50 is a dose that will kill the subject half the time.

I may consider trying chicory extract, but I'm not super hopeful I'll see a benefit.

But, one thing in that paper outside of chicory was interesting - they say that inhibiting COX-2 can increase GABAergic neurons (presumably GABA receptors?).

In all my years of dealing with this I've never heard that statement. If true, there are other ways to inhibit COX-2. Almost any NSAID is going to inhibit COX 1 and 2 non-selectively. And there are specific COX-2 inhibitors though these are known to have unwanted cardiac side effects (the non-selective COX inhibitors by in large don't).

That's some interesting stuff. I wonder if there are other sources for the COX-2 impact on GABAergic neurons?

Edited by [Na...]
  • Like 1