Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Vitamin B6 used to convert glutamate to gaba

[Si...]

I've been reading about b6.  Surely this would be the thing to take as it is the enzyme that converts the glutamate into gaba.  Did anyone try it?

I take a good multi b tab along with folinic acid and order b12 shots from Germany to send to the us.     Be careful with b6.  Most water soluble vitamins it’s impossible to take too much of but b6 for some is the outlier. You can take too much.  Research b6 toxicity. Takes a long time to heal from this so beware.   

Join maybe one of these groups and ask around before you start taking high doses thinking it’s safe cause it’s water soluble and your body will excrete it.  

476F5E73-532B-4F34-B9E1-3A3E34EF665D.png

Conventional wisdom would make it appear the damage from benzos is far far worse and more common.  Look at the size comparisons.   Almost equal amount of sufferers and those people are bed bound in pain and royally fkd up.  So just read up on b6 before goin down that path 

30CB4D49-5C85-4FA0-ABAD-E91C330D799C.png

hi @[Jd...] I can't get into the groups but I've had a read.  I see that around 1 or 2mg is what one gets naturally.  I just bought a bottle of 50mg tablets so that seems way too high. what about the 10mg tablets and taking a whole or half a tablet?

I’ve heard to stay around 5mg daily which I find odd because most multivitamin have way more than that and it’s damn impossible to find one that low.  But that’s what all the people in the forums say and I don’t deny they aren’t suffering 🤷‍♂️. I even get my b vitamins from seeking health which is supposed to be a very good company for b vitamin education and supplements and mine has 10mg in it.  So I take mine every other day.   I’ve not ever had toxicity but I only follow the advice from others that have. And some literally claim they were toxic off 10mg a day 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Edited by [Jd...]

4 hours ago, [[S...] said:

I've been reading about b6.  Surely this would be the thing to take as it is the enzyme that converts the glutamate into gaba.  Did anyone try it?

I have tried it in the form of taking P5P (pyridoxal 5'-phosphate) which is the active form of B6.

It made me worse. Quite a bit in fact within the first few doses over a couple of days.

The problem with P5P/B6 is that is involved in an enormous number of different roles in the body. Specifically with respect to different neurotransmitter systems (dopamine, serotonin, GABA, glutamate, etc.

If you have a look at the Wikipedia page on it, they have an abbreviate list of the systems it plays a role in:

• Metabolism and biosynthesis of serotonin. Pyridoxal phosphate is a cofactor of aromatic L-amino acids decarboxylase. This allows for conversion of 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) into serotonine (5-HT). This reaction takes place in serotonergic neurons.
  • Metabolism and biosynthesis of histamine. Pyridoxal phosphate is a cofactor of L-histidine decarboxylase. This allows for conversion of histidine into histamine. This reaction takes place in Golgi apparatus in mast cells and in basophils. Next, histamine is stored in granularity in mast cells as a complex with acid residues of heparin proteoglycan while in basophils as a complex with chondroitine sulfate.
  • Metabolism and biosynthesis of GABA (γ-aminobutyric acid). Pyridoxal phosphate is a cofactor of glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD). This allows for conversion of glutamate into GABA. Reaction takes place in cytoplasm of termination of GABA-ergic neurons, therefore vitamin B6 deficiency may cause epileptic seizures in children. Pyridoxal phosphate also participates in the oxidative deamination of GABA, where it is a cofactor of GABA aminotransferase.
  • Metabolism of ornithine. Pyridoxal phosphate is a cofactor of ornithine carboxylase.
  • Transamination. Pyridoxal phosphate takes part in decomposition and synthesis of amino acids.

So the problem is that you're not just shifting the balance of glutamate -> GABA which would probably be a useful thing. You're impacting dopamine, serotonin, histamine, etc. and probably a dozen other things which might be counterproductive in our situation.

The other thing is we don't actually know that we aren't making enough GABA or have too much glutamate. Maybe that's our problem. Or maybe the GABA receptors are broken and just don't respond properly to GABA. Or maybe it's something none of us has ever thought about.

Anyway, that was my experience. People are different so a different person might get a different result. The only way to know is to be your won guinea pig unfortunately.

• Like 1

Thank you for this information!  I am into my 5th month reducing clonapin and am trying lots of vitamins and protein powders to help with weight loss and neurological side effects. One of my most disabling symptoms is histamine hypersensitivity. Thank you for steering me clear of this supplement!

• Like 1