Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Vitex (Chaste Berry)

[Ma...]

Has anyone tried Vitex (Chaste Berry) to balance out your hormones? And if so what was your response to it? I’m struggling to taper riding the hormone roller coaster each month. I know the drop in progesterone during the luteal phase can mimic benzo withdrawal because they use related receptors, so I’m trying to find something to balance out my estrogen dominance and progesterone levels. Tell me your experiences, good or bad, please. 

This is something I would love to know about. My hormone fluctuations are keeping me from tapering at a steady rate. When my estrogen rises I feel so terrible. It's very severe. 

Following for information about this. Thank you for posting this question.

11 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

This is something I would love to know about. My hormone fluctuations are keeping me from tapering at a steady rate. When my estrogen rises I feel so terrible. It's very severe. 

Following for information about this. Thank you for posting this question.

Know you’re not alone. I have this when my estrogen rises before ovulation, and then also when my progesterone drops mid luteal phase. It’s really rough so I understand. I’m sorry you’re suffering too. 

What kind of taper method are you using-Cut and hold, or microtaper? 

@[Ma...] Same exact thing going on here. Pre ovulation and mid to late luteal phase is the absolute worst for me. So sorry you are suffering, too.

I am making miniscule reductions using capsules from a compounding pharmacy. 0.5% every 2 to 4 weeks. It's all I can manage right now.

How about you?

7 hours ago, [[H...] said:

Hi @[Ma...] and welcome to the boards.

I've no experience with this but did a search and it's been discussed a few times in the past

https://benzobuddies.org/search/?&q=Vitex&search_and_or=and

Hopefully you'll get someone who's currently using it, give you their experience. But that should get you started with some information 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, [[A...] said:

@[Ma...] Same exact thing going on here. Pre ovulation and mid to late luteal phase is the absolute worst for me. So sorry you are suffering, too.

I am making miniscule reductions using capsules from a compounding pharmacy. 0.5% every 2 to 4 weeks. It's all I can manage right now.

How about you?

@[An...]What was your starting dose? I have yet to start my taper. I was kindled by my previous psychiatrist back in August when she dropped my dose 22% over a 3 week period trying to get me off quickly after she realized the dose she wrote for was too high (4mg /day) and also that I had developed interdose withdrawal. I developed akathisia. Found a new psychiatrist and got akathisia under control with propranolol and interdose under control with Hydroxyzine. I have been stable for about a month and she is wanting to start a microtaper dropping 0.006 every day which would be 5% over 30 days. I just feel like if I can’t get these hormones under control I won’t be able to do that and/or my akathesia will come back. I don’t want to take the birth control pill (her first recommendation), and I’m nervous about taking the Vitex that it may make things worse. 

Edited by [Ma...]