Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Black seed oil/ herbs

[Li...]

Hi,

I am new to this group but I wanted to share some things that have helped to calm my system.  I have been going through 4 years of just pure hell.  A couple of years ago someone gave me some chamomile/lavender tea.  I noticed that my system calmed down for a while after drinking it.  This lead me to start making my own chamomile/lavender tea.  I started researching different herbs, mainly herbs that calmed the nervous system and helped with sleep.  So long stary short I now have a small apothecary at my house.  I also discovered that Black Seed Oil helps me tremendously with my withdrawals and helping me sleep.  Have any of your tried this or is there other things that have helped you?

Thx, Lisa

• Like 1

Hi @[Li...] and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing what's helped you through this. Personally I've tried a lot of things, probably too much to list here. But I've found different things helped at different stages.

Early on I was very sensitive, but used to get some relief from ginger for dizziness and weak chamomile tea.

I then found omega 3 and zinc quite helpful for a while before experimenting a little more with things like Bacopa and Ashwaganda. 

I'm quite a way out now so don't really try much for symptom relief, but more overall health and gut health. If I'm having a particularly bad day I'll take some gastrodia and maybe some magnesium.

If I had to pick 1 thing that I thinks helped the most it would be NAC. I've taken that for a long time and still find it helpful. Although some find it too stimulating.

It's fairly quiet in this section since the move to new software. But there's been a few people finding Muscimol helpful and NAD+ seems popular.

Just bare in mind that everyone is different, and what helps 1 person may hurt another so it's always best to try anything new low and slow

Edited by [Ha...]

@[Ha...] Thanks for the reply.  I kind of alternate through different nervines and I am trying to focus on nutrients.  I read a lot about the NAD+ so I ordered the nasal spray last week to see if it helps in any way.  So there is a part of this website?  I just found you all a few days ago.  I am very thankful that I have a doctor that follows my lead on my taper and supports me where he can.  NAC is another good  one too. Jow2 much do you take?  I try to start one thing at a time and slowly.  My body is very sensitive to changes.

37 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

@[Ha...] Thanks for the reply.  I kind of alternate through different nervines and I am trying to focus on nutrients.  I read a lot about the NAD+ so I ordered the nasal spray last week to see if it helps in any way.  So there is a part of this website?  I just found you all a few days ago.  I am very thankful that I have a doctor that follows my lead on my taper and supports me where he can.  NAC is another good  one too. Jow2 much do you take?  I try to start one thing at a time and slowly.  My body is very sensitive to changes.

Very sensible to introduce things slowly, and glad you have a good doctor. 

I just meant that this group is new because the website was changed recently. The old website was outdated, and didn't support mobile browsers very well. So there's not many active threads. However the old Alternative Therapies Board is still available to read here and the search function is very good, should you want to do any research. There will likely be a number of threads on pretty much anything you can think of, as the forum itself has been around for a while.

NAC - I take 600mg most days, but have been known to take 1200mg or even 1800mg on a bad day, in divided doses. But 600mg is about right for me personally. I find it helpful for sleep, but others say it's too stimulating. I've always opened the capsules when starting something new and just take a fraction to get a feel of how I'm going to react.

Most of the time  I'll take 1 in the morning @[Li...] and occasionally in the night, each dose 600mg. But as I said, some people find it stimulating and gives them insomnia if taken later in the day. 

On 09/10/2023 at 20:35, [[H...] said:

Very sensible to introduce things slowly, and glad you have a good doctor. 

I just meant that this group is new because the website was changed recently. The old website was outdated, and didn't support mobile browsers very well. So there's not many active threads. However the old Alternative Therapies Board is still available to read here and the search function is very good, should you want to do any research. There will likely be a number of threads on pretty much anything you can think of, as the forum itself has been around for a while.

NAC - I take 600mg most days, but have been known to take 1200mg or even 1800mg on a bad day, in divided doses. But 600mg is about right for me personally. I find it helpful for sleep, but others say it's too stimulating. I've always opened the capsules when starting something new and just take a fraction to get a feel of how I'm going to react.

Hi what is NAC thanks

5 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Hi what is NAC thanks

N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) is a supplement form of cysteine, a conditionally essential amino acid. NAC has many health benefits, including replenishing antioxidants and nourishing your brain

1. Essential for making the powerful antioxidant glutathione

NAC is valued primarily for its role in antioxidant production. Along with two other amino acids — glutamine and glycine — NAC is necessary to make and replenish glutathione

2. Helps with detoxification to prevent or diminish kidney and liver damage

NAC plays an important role in your body’s detoxification process. It can help prevent side effects of environmental toxin exposure (3).

3. May improve mental health conditions and substance use disorder

NAC helps regulate glutamate levels, the brain’s most important neurotransmitter. While glutamate is required for regular brain activity, excess glutamate and glutathione depletion can cause brain damage

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/nac-benefits#TOC_TITLE_HDR_6