Earning a living while tapering

[TH...]

Hi guys,

How are people earning a living while tapering? I'm currently tapering Valium and unemployed. Finding it hard to stay physical along with other problems tapering comes with. 

Is there help out there? I'm in the UK. 

Thanks 

I am in the USA. We have medical disability here from our Social Security  System, but it can be extremely challenging to qualify for. It took me approx. 2 years to file a claim and get approved for medical disability. I don't know if you have any social safety nets in the UK like this. I also had worked for the same Company for over 25 years,making great money before the claim was filed so I lived off my savings during that meantime between disability application and approval. I could not use benzo w/d as the MDI (medically determinable impairment) for the SSA disability claim. I had to use panic disorder and GAD. These were legitimate DXs magnified 100-fold when I finally became tolerant and sick to the valium I was on.

What were you doing prior to starting your valium taper? Were you still unemployed then or were you working but could no longer continue working due to benzo tolerance as was in my case?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2023 at 15:53, [[T...] said:

Hi guys,

How are people earning a living while tapering? I'm currently tapering Valium and unemployed. Finding it hard to stay physical along with other problems tapering comes with. 

Is there help out there? I'm in the UK. 

Thanks 

Hi your best bet is to see a welfare rights officer hope it helps

On 18/10/2023 at 20:09, [[b...] said:

Im on dissability payments. - australia

I think most others are too.

Was the process really hard to qualify and get approved for @[bw...]  in Australia like here in the US?

I'm still building some courage for crossing over now. Hopefully stable in a few months, maybe then a part-time job is possible.

Are there even people working while tapering? I'm curious

Edited by [Hu...]

I am.  But just started my taper and going very very slowly.  I am praying that my slow taper goes smoothly.  I know there is at least one other person on this board working and tapering.

If things get bad, I have option for short-term disability through my employer but was hoping to wait until I tapered off to use that.  

1 hour ago, [[K...] said:

I am.  But just started my taper and going very very slowly.  I am praying that my slow taper goes smoothly.  I know there is at least one other person on this board working and tapering.

If things get bad, I have option for short-term disability through my employer but was hoping to wait until I tapered off to use that.  

I think I could work if I would feel like I do when I've just taken my Ativan dose. Then I'm stable enough. A bit of anxiety I can handle. But crying spells and terrible headaches from IW make me feel incapacitated.

I'm currently awaiting social security. And would like to work 50/50 from home once stable. A 40hr workweek is nothing for me. 32 max.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2023 at 19:20, [[H...] said:

I think I could work if I would feel like I do when I've just taken my Ativan dose. Then I'm stable enough. A bit of anxiety I can handle. But crying spells and terrible headaches from IW make me feel incapacitated.

I'm currently awaiting social security. And would like to work 50/50 from home once stable. A 40hr workweek is nothing for me. 32 max.

I am on SSDI. It took two years to get approved. @[Hu...], how far are you in the process? Do not be discouraged if you are denied at application and reconsideration. Appeal is the name of the game until you are denied at the ALJ (level 3) appeal.

PS - Never mind about the post above. I looked at your profile and I see you are from Europe. I am in the US. Our social security sys is different than yours. I hope it is a little less of a PITA to qualify for than our US SSDI. SSDI can be a real challenge unless you are suffering from some serious physical medical condition.

• 4 months later...

Lately I've been getting worse even while taking my medication. And it’s becoming more and more difficult for me to work. But what scares me the most is the lack of motivation. It’s like you don’t want anything. 😔