Important Survey - Please Participate ×

OCD about foods

[54...]

Has anyone had bad anxiety and fear and paranoia over eating? I was told I need to be on a very restrictive diet to help with pain, fatigue etc. But I'm too frustrated to eat anything now. Fear of ridicule and shame follows me everywhere. Regardless of how healthy I eat I'm still feeling awful.

I have questions, Sunflower. What kind of a restricted diet were you told you need to be on? And who told you? Next, did whoever set this up explain how it would help with pain and fatigue? And did a nutritionist or dietician meet with you? When I was diagnosed with diabetes my endocrinologist referred me to a dietician at the hospital and we sat together and planned meals. The planning came with lots of explanations and took several meetings but now I know the no-nos. I just wonder if you've gotten or even have contemplated getting this kind of help. For me, it was invaluable.

Wishing you well. 

I saw a nutrionist about 10 yrs ago and it did nothing for me. Alot of thr chronic pain and disease forums tell you to have a restrictive diet to help in healing, doctors too. My mom is a diabetic too, type 1 and I'm more restrictive in my eating than her. It's bad enough a majority of female relatives on my mom's side are all or in remission of eating disorders or still ill, one died in 1998 from it so now I'm having more anxiety with food and shame that I'm not eating right. I want to cancel events and plans with friends because I won't enjoy it, same with holidays.

I was told no sugar, gluten, glutamate, caffeine, meat, dairy, nuts, fish, eggs. Certain veg and fruits.

My son has debilitating OCD about food and eating. He put himself on an extremely restrictive raw vegan diet because he believes it to be healing way of eating. Any deviation in what he eats, how much or in what order he eats or how long he waits between meals causes intense fear and anxiety. He agonizes over making the slightest changes. Like whether it’s better to eat fruit before vegetables, or vice versa. Or whether or not to soak almonds to make them easier to digest when there could be a loss of nutrients… 

I have severe OCD, not just about eating but almost every little thing I do, almost like I have to have approval in what I do and cannot make my own decisions. When I do I have tremendous anxiety so I'll go radical and crazy and do my own thing. I feel I'm always under a thumb.

I think the groups, social media influencers, health “gurus” and some of these functional medicine doctors etc instil all of this fear mongering about food. I personally have had to change my diet in this to reduce inflammation from the drug damage. However, what helps me won’t necessarily help you, or someone else. Fear is like poison. I had to unfollow all the health culture stuff and all the different groups with a thousand different opinions on the same topic. It just made me feel worse. I think stress and fear is so toxic for our minds and bodies. Our systems are already stuck in total fight or flight, which we have no control over, it’s an injury. But we can definitely add a ton more fear by what we expose ourselves to.

If it were me, I would be listening to my body and using that as a guide to what I eat. For example my body hates histamine, dairy, too much sugar, processed foods/chemicals and lots of other random things I could list here that make zero sense to me but I have learnt to tune in very carefully to what it’s telling me. I’m on more of an anti inflammatory diet now. It’s very obvious to me what makes my symptoms worse food wise. I consumed way too much sugar yesterday. Not refined sugar but I just ate a load of maple syrup, high sugar fruit, dried sultanas, homemade granola with coconut sugar in etc and that was a really bad idea to do that the day before my period starts (today). It’s definitely raised inflammation because a lot of carbs can do that. Which has made my period much worse whereas last month it was more manageable. But sometimes I just think, fuck it, I’m gonna eat a load of good tasty stuff because I’m tired of it all. But I always regret it :classic_unsure:

Edited by [Em...]