Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Question: various Timeline of withdrawal start

[Br...]

Dear friends.

Let me ask for any evidence or anecdotal literature. Your own experience is also welcome!

Generally, it's said benzo withdrawal can start within 6 hours of the last dose for short-acting benzodiazepines or 24-28 hours for long-acting benzos. However, we all know the onset of benzo withdrawal Timeline has many varieties. For example, such a case withdrawal starts more than a month after the last dose. Ten people ten colors. Our administration in jpn does not recognize those delayed onset case.

If you could tell me the evidence, anecdotal or story that says there are many variety of start timeline of benzo withdrawal, it could big pleasure for me.

Thank you very much.

* for example, "Protracted Withdrawal Syndromes From Benzodiazepines" by Ashton gives a below case.

"Case 3. Female, aged 58. Duration of benzodiazepine usage:
20 years. Withdrew from diazepam 20 mg daily over 4 weeks
in 1988. Developed acute psychotic reaction, which resolved
in one week. First noticed left-sided tinnitus 1 month after
withdrawal. Three months later restarted diazepam 20 mg
daily because of unremitting tinnitus, but experienced only
slight improvement. Second withdrawal over one year 1988-
9. Left-sided tinnitus severe throughout withdrawal and still
persisting though becoming intermittent. ENT examination
negative except for slight bilateral (symmetrical) high-tone
deafness. Medication: mianserin 30 mg daily, started after
onset of tinnitus; carbamazepine recently added with no effect
on tinnitus."

Just me,

Acute withdrawal took almost a month to hit after my last dose of klonopin after 30 years of use.

There are definitely some that take a while until withdrawal symptoms really hit.

And getting better now.

Hi @[Br...]

This is purely anecdotal to me. I made the mistake of jumping at 2.5 mgs of valium the last time I tried to stop. I felt bad but I thought I would be ok. All hell broke loose after 7 days and I ended up reinstating. A few others had warned me to taper all the way down in 5-10 % increments before stopping. That is what I am doing now. I also started Lexapro that I intend to eventually stop after I have been off the Valium for a while.

@[Br...],

I was in withdrawal and tolerance most of the time. It was likely due to me trying to taper in a very disorganized and not appropriate manner, simply cutting the pill in half. Clonazepam is a very strong benzo so I would inevitably crash and go back to the dose I was on. 

Once I did somewhat stabilize on diazepam, I was able to taper but again, it was rough because my doctor and I were learning together, based on the Ashton Manual.

I wasn’t on benzos for as long as some of you, only 2 years including taper.

I had a honeymoon of sorts when I jumped off. I felt great and unchained from a prescription bottle. Due to the long half life of diazepam, withdrawal hit me, and hit hard, during the second week off. Acute lasted around 6 weeks.

4 hours ago, [[p...] said:

@[Br...],

I was in withdrawal and tolerance most of the time. It was likely due to me trying to taper in a very disorganized and not appropriate manner, simply cutting the pill in half. Clonazepam is a very strong benzo so I would inevitably crash and go back to the dose I was on. 

Once I did somewhat stabilize on diazepam, I was able to taper but again, it was rough because my doctor and I were learning together, based on the Ashton Manual.

I wasn’t on benzos for as long as some of you, only 2 years including taper.

I had a honeymoon of sorts when I jumped off. I felt great and unchained from a prescription bottle. Due to the long half life of diazepam, withdrawal hit me, and hit hard, during the second week off. Acute lasted around 6 weeks.

Yep, due to the long half-life, valium hits me really hard around the 7-day mark after stopping. I hope I can soften the blow this time with a really slow taper all the way down to zero. I am also on a small dose of Lexapro and that is helping a lot IMO.

• Like 1