Important Survey - Please Participate ×

New multivitamin causing chronic fatigue

[dr...]

I started taking a new multivitamin yesterday which contains 1000% DV of B vitamins. And it also contains an amino acid complex in hopes that it would help my wasted muscles. Today I have a crushing feeling of fatigue and it just feels like the flu x2 but without the flu (temperature and BP normal).

Only started taking it last night and didn't have severe fatigue prior. I suspect maybe the excessive B vitamins. Some of them are 1000% DV. Including riboflavin.

5 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

Only started taking it last night and didn't have severe fatigue prior. I suspect maybe the excessive B vitamins. Some of them are 1000% DV. Including riboflavin.

From my own experince, when I was in withdrawal nothing worked normal. When I drank coffee i got tired, when I took a walk i got stressed. And when I took a mineral suppliment i got an adverse reaction. Because our cns is all screwed in withdrawal. You could try to stop taking it for awhile and try again later at some point. But its up to you. 

In tolerance I bought everything. I have Boxes of supplements. Taper and post Im not taking anything. Gets too confusing.  I eat decent and hope for the best. 11 months and improving slowly 

Yeah I figured it was too good to be true. I guess I'll stick to my ensures and eating healthy for now. Too much vitamins crosses the blood brain barrier and can affect some people.

I would consider the fact that the vitamins are working to detox your body because your body is toxic and it made you feel sick because too many toxins were released from the supplement supporting your detoxification pathways and therefore you feel sick 

It doesn’t mean the supplements bad per se but it could point to you being toxic. Toxic just means your liver and other organs  are overloaded with pollutants/toxins whether it’s pharmaceuticals or infection or whatever the case for some it’s heavy metals and pesticides built up. But usually when we add in something that helps promote the detox pathway we can have a herxheimer reaction 

• Like 1

B vitamins are important I feel that they are a very poorly understood group of vitamins. Someone takes a multi b vitamin and does bad with it and assumes they don’t do well with b vitamins.   But are your vitamins methylated ?  Is the b12 cyanocobalmin hydroxycobalmin methylcobalmin adenocobalmin

is the b9 folic acid folate or folinic acid

Ps most water soluble vitamins you can’t take too much of with the exception SOME people accumulate and get toxic amount of b6 despite it being water soluble. 

if I was you I’d try a reputable place for your b vitamins like seeking health and try non methylated / hydroxy and folinic acid and their b minus multi and see how you do on that 

Edited by [Jd...]

You really need your blood tested though to be honest.   As example you have fatigue.  Lemme explain how b and iron work together.   
Iron and b both work together to produce red blood cells.  Let’s say you had an unknown iron deficiency and you were seriously low on iron but your body was compensating and making as many red blood cells as it can with the b12 and doing the best it could.   Well if you start taking more b12 it might stimulate your body to produce some more red blood cells and FURTHER deplete and already exhausted iron deficiency.  A common sign of iron deficiency is exhaustion.  So here you take b12 and have the symptom of exhaustion and think it’s “because” of the b12 when the reality is you had an underlying condition that by taking b12 exposed that deficiency even more.   Not saying for sure that’s what’s going on. Just keep an open mind to the possibility that there is a lot of complex systems at play and it may not be as simple as you’d think 

That scenario of b vitamins giving bad symtoms actually happened to me.  I thought I couldn’t handle b vitamins and magnesium (also a key player in that cascade) when reality was I had a severe iron deficiency and didn’t know it and taking either b vitamins or magnesium further depleted my iron giving me worse symptoms so I thought I couldn’t Handle magnesium or b