Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  449 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

IV/Intramuscular Nutrition

[se...]

Since im so dietary constrained at the moment and for quite some time I was wondering if taking nutrition via IV/IM injections would help. Had anyone ever got nutrition such as vitamins/minerals this way? and will it flare up symptoms? Would it be the same as just taking supplements?

Many people on the old BB forum had experience with this  I have read many in the 9 years I have been on BB,

maybe if you can locate the archive board you can find info re this  setbackoptimist  Good luck whatever you decide.

You know your bodies reactions best   

Yeah it's a tough one. Im really at a loss here. Cause I think it goes without saying that malnutrition would lead to really bad things. So it makes we wonder whats worse, continuing with this path, or seeking help. There is this Medical Doctor that is also an Alternative health guy and a psychiatrist. So like three in one, I feel he may be best equipped to deal with this whole fiasco. But Im sure we all know what will happen. He will run a bunch of test and since ive been eating white rice and very little nutrition here and there for the past year, some deficiencies would be very likely.

There are times where I eat some vegetables but then stop, ate chicken for a while then stopped. You get the picture. Now ive have a really stressful couple of weeks as ive had some big life events so that probably had an effect. But needless to say I feel like any tests may at the minimum indicate malnutrition and being an alternative health guy he would probably suggest supplements and failing that some sort of IM nutritional injection. If I cant take anything he will probably suggest reinstatement of some kind of drug, so either benzodiazepines or SSRI or gabapentin/pregabalin. Or at the very least some sort of herbal stuff.

Ive read the old archives and havent really found anything about IV/IM Nutrition. In the old archives the advise I received last year was and I paraphrase "if you keep eating white rice your body will eat itself and you will die so we cant help you, go see a doctor first...". But the problem is doctors and the things they prescribe can and have made other people much worse. Now ive read some posts in here where members have mentioned how they believed this whole thing to be a nutritional deficiency issue. Things like amino acids, DAO enzymes, NAC+, Glutathione, Iron and CoQ10, Stem cells, and a whole bunch of other stuff have been pushed as a possible solution.

To be honest I kinda agree with the whole nutrition angle, which is why I started the whole brute force thing. But something is missing. Im on 100g of steamed broccoli and 50g of steamed chicken breast per day. It's definitely playing roller coaster with my paresthesia. It started off very similar to April's brute force session but it's just weird. But here's the thing if im just on white rice, paresthesia is way less but other symptoms are worse, like brain fog, tiredness, and an overall feeling of just being very weak. 

So for the love of god and all that is pure and holy, can we just have a like a poll or vote or something and can everyone just give their two cents on the matter and any personal experiences so I can take into account what possible path would be the most calculated risk.

Cause at this point there are three options,:

• Keep malnourished and wait it out for months till I eventually get better or worse over time and brute force it!
  • Go see the doctor and hear him out and check the results of the tests then try to brute force healing via the specific deficiencies that show up through the tests, like eating the right natural foods/meats/herbs etc.. You know surgically attack the problem with precise well calculated steps.
  • Or this crazy long shot where I reinstate, then spend the next few months spending tens of thousands of dollars shooting myself up with IV Nutrition/NAC+/Stemcells/Lithium before I taper again. At least this time my nutrition will be fixed and I will be healthy in a manner of speaking. (I mean from what I understand a while back my dentist told me that Benzos were like the it drug among the celebs in my country and it was getting out of hand. So maybe Celebrity 3 in 1 doctors have a lot of experience with how to treat them?).

Looking forward to your replies and feedback.

You haven’t really said why you are nutritionally deficient.  Do you have sibo ? Suspect you have sibo ? Like why would you want iv nutrition.  Reality is I don’t think you can have iv nutrition just because you want to. It’s called TPN requires a central line and really just a mess.  There’s much more to “food” than just the macro and micro nutrients.  Remember if it by passes your intestines your digestive tract microbiome dies.   Your digestive enzymes to break down food stop your gall bladder stops functioning and getting all that stuff back up and running again isn’t just something you do on your own and is a VERY LAST resort even in the medical field with carful observation. I guess I don’t understand why you would want that. IM nutrition isn’t even possible.  Maybe some vitamins but try finding a dr to give you an IM iron shot.  Go look at pictures of a shot of iron lol you won’t want one when you see it lol MASSIVE BRUISING lol sometimes permanently colored skin.  It’s not practical.  I have no idea why you’d want iv nutrition but if it has to do with sibo (get a real diagnosis with breath tests first don’t assume) then there is always the elemental diet but of course that’s to be discussed with your functional medicine practitioner

I dont mean TPM, I think I am malnourished because I get diarrhea when I take supplements or eat alot of fruits and vegetables. Plus my diet has basically been 1.6-1.8kg of plain white rice for about a year now. and the only vegetable ive eaten is broccoli, and pretty much just some chicken breasts, steamed. doesnt seem like its comprehensive. of course I could be wrong which I why im thinking of getting a full test done.

By IV/IM I mean just like a cocktail of vitamins and minerals. Ive had them before like 10 years ago, at clinics. You can get shots of vitamins weekly or something like that.

Gotcha.  I’m using huel for reasons like that. Just overall make sure I’m not missing something. You won’t know until you get some extensive blood tests to test all of it. Me for example I found out I was low in iron.  Me drinking huel wouldn’t put even a dent in my ferretin.  I’ve had to take 60mg of heme iron once and sometimes twice a day just to get my ferretin from 8 to a 19.  4 months of pounding my body with iron and I still have 100 to go.  Needless to say this will take a while.  The same thing happens with b12.  If you are found deficient in b12.  A huel or kachava drink just isn’t gonna cut it.  You’ll likely need b12 for a year because despite the level raising in your blood you have to saturate the hundreds of trillions of cells. Takes forevvvvver.  Your next step is extensive blood work to see if you will need to take large doses of any vitamin or mineral but until then you could try some kachava or huel. Might help 

I do feel you are very wise to look at this.  A certain person I won’t name who is protracted and has had pretty bad symptoms has gone through 4 rounds of stem cell treatment I think is what she told me. Zero benefit.  After we talked she got an iron panel.  Ferretin a 7!  She’s been taking iron for only 2 months and already improving.   Stem cells can’t correct a b12 or iron deficiency. Me personally I’d get the $50 blood test at quest before I spend $15 grand on stem cells

1 minute ago, [[J...] said:

Gotcha.  I’m using huel for reasons like that. Just overall make sure I’m not missing something. You won’t know until you get some extensive blood tests to test all of it. Me for example I found out I was low in iron.  Me drinking huel wouldn’t put even a dent in my ferretin.  I’ve had to take 60mg of heme iron once and sometimes twice a day just to get my ferretin from 8 to a 19.  4 months of pounding my body with iron and I still have 100 to go.  Needless to say this will take a while.  The same thing happens with b12.  If you are found deficient in b12.  A huel or kachava drink just isn’t gonna cut it.  You’ll likely need b12 for a year because despite the level raising in your blood you have to saturate the hundreds of trillions of cells. Takes forevvvvver.  Your next step is extensive blood work to see if you will need to take large doses of any vitamin or mineral but until then you could try some kachava or huel. Might help 

Yeah thats what im thinking as well, broccoli/any other vegetable and fruit taken in small daily amounts, is not likely to make a dent. And I have no idea what im deficient in. And the human body is a miracle in and of itself, when faced with deficiencies it will eat itself and pretty sure thats just going to you more sensitive to setbacks and things. My concern is a death spiral. Say I test then I know and when you know you can never unknow so to speak. Then I try to fix it by either a shot or some kinda supplement, we roll the dice, could go either way, could make me feel better, could make me horrifyingly worse. Then I try something else, may get worse again, until I break and then reinstate. Im off for 2 years now. if I reinstate who knows where we go from there, especially if im seeing a doctor and he is pressuring me to take this and that and im just all confused and everyone around me is saying "this cant be from the Benzos you stopped taking two years ago. Go see a doctor and take something." So I really just want to get everyones input.

1 minute ago, [[J...] said:

I do feel you are very wise to look at this.  A certain person I won’t name who is protracted and has had pretty bad symptoms has gone through 4 rounds of stem cell treatment I think is what she told me. Zero benefit.  After we talked she got an iron panel.  Ferretin a 7!  She’s been taking iron for only 2 months and already improving.   Stem cells can’t correct a b12 or iron deficiency. Me personally I’d get the $50 blood test at quest before I spend $15 grand on stem cells

Thats just what I was thinking, it could be a specific targeted mega deficiency of something that just isn't in my diet and that which small doses cant help. I know I need to take an extensive range of blood tests but im just very worried of it spiralling out of control as some members here have horror stories of being on many different drugs and tapering off of each. Like if im so sensitive right now that I cant even eat steamed chicken and vegetables without flaring up symptoms what are the odds I'll be able to take shots and supplements, etc... While I am tough as nails and have a lot of patience and perseverance, there is only so much torture I could take before breaking.

I’m gonna use myself as an example.  A lot of people Misinterpret what they feel as a reaction.   Iron.  I’m way low in iron.  I need it and feel confident it will be what will heal me.  I’ve healed more in the last 4 months than I did in 2 years and that’s bringing a ferretin up only 10 points I still have 90 to go.  I went from prob 70 percent healed to 95 percent just raising ferretin 10 points.   Anywho.  Taking iron in itself HURTS the shit is awful.  Think about what an iron pipe does if you leave it in your yard.  It rusts.  That is oxidation. When you pound your body with crap loads of iron. You are floodIng your body with a substance knowing only 10 percent will get used and the other 90 will get oxidized. Oxidative stress is a biotch. It causes many of the same damn symptoms I’m trying to get rid of.  Had I not known that and started taking iron and felt worse maybe I would have said 🤷‍♂️can’t take iron. It gives me waves and setbacks” but I knew before hand that I would have to push through it anyway and it’s working. It’s a double edged sword.  The very thing I need causes oxidation stress and gives me bad symtoms but I have to push through to get to the finish line 

What is the worst thing that could happen.  You find out your labs are perfect and you are healthier than you thought.  There is little downside other than $ to that plan 

4 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

I’m gonna use myself as an example.  A lot of people Misinterpret what they feel as a reaction.   Iron.  I’m way low in iron.  I need it and feel confident it will be what will heal me.  I’ve healed more in the last 4 months than I did in 2 years and that’s bringing a ferretin up only 10 points I still have 90 to go.  I went from prob 70 percent healed to 95 percent just raising ferretin 10 points.   Anywho.  Taking iron in itself HURTS the shit is awful.  Think about what an iron pipe does if you leave it in your yard.  It rusts.  That is oxidation. When you pound your body with crap loads of iron. You are floodIng your body with a substance knowing only 10 percent will get used and the other 90 will get oxidized. Oxidative stress is a biotch. It causes many of the same damn symptoms I’m trying to get rid of.  Had I not known that and started taking iron and felt worse maybe I would have said 🤷‍♂️can’t take iron. It gives me waves and setbacks” but I knew before hand that I would have to push through it anyway and it’s working. It’s a double edged sword.  The very thing I need causes oxidation stress and gives me bad symtoms but I have to push through to get to the finish line 

Yeah I get you, welcome to brute forcing, its what I did in April, my setback was in Nov the previous year and I didnt really heal until I started forcing myself to eat broccoli and chicken, then meat, and eggs and nuts and then thought to myself was this really all I had to do, did I just waste time eating rice trying to stabilised and reach equilibrium, I was basically almost back to normal even eating food with a little msg after 3 months. Which I what ive been trying to do, but this time feels different which leads me to thing, maybe somethings missing and brute forcing something else may be whats needed.

7 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

What is the worst thing that could happen.  You find out your labs are perfect and you are healthier than you thought.  There is little downside other than $ to that plan 

Yeah youre right I think I'll schedule an appointment with the doctor and see where we go from there. Im glad you have found something that works well for you. I hope your rate of healing improves significantly.