Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Vaccines

[El...]

Hi all

I am in my sixties.  My doctor wants me to get (not all at once, of course) the RSV vaccine, flu vaccine, and new covid booster.  Last year, before my taper, I was fairly ill after receiving the booster and flu vaccine for a few days after their administration.  This year I am tapering.  It has not been an easy road lately.  I am wondering if people could let me know how they reacted to the vaccines while tapering.  No horror stories please.  I am trying to remain as positive as possible  through this somewhat difficult taper.  Please, just simple facts.

Thanks for any input.

Hi @[El...], there have been discussions about reactions to vaccines, the trouble is, its just like everything else about this process, what affects one may not affect another.

I wonder if you might try what you consider the most important vaccine first, do a test?

• 2 weeks later...

@Ellie - I can tell you that, anecdotally, there have been a few folks here who said they had a bad reaction to the Covid vaccine and the majority (that I've seen) said they did fine with it. But like Pamster said, everyone is different. The problem is that many of us have had a hard time with actual Covid. Personally, I had no issues with the vaccines, but had a (bad, but short-lived) setback when I finally got covid (just got it for the first time). It's hard but I think the best we can do in these situations is weigh the odds and go with our best instinct. And I agree with Pamster - I would do one vaccine at a time. The other option is masking through the winter and avoiding crowded spaces. I still wear a mask in crowded places because I know I'm still more vulnerable than the average person. Good luck!! 

@[op...] I got the flu shot all throughout my taper (and for years prior). I had no reactions. This year I've already gotten the RSV shot and will get the COVID vaccine and the flu shot when they are available in my area. (I'm a senior with a health condition, so want to take advantage of all the protection that's being offered. I have a business to run and don't want to lose time being sick!) I got the COVID vaccination and the boosters as they came available during the Pandemic and never had a bad reaction to them. As for the stories of ppl who have had bad reactions, well, that's them. It wasn't me. Just because someone else has a bad reaction . . . that doesn't mean you will. We're all different, with different biological make-ups. :classic_smile:

Edited by [or...]

• 2 weeks later...

I have what I call mild reactions to pretty much all vaccines. I recently had a shingles vaccine and didn’t feel well for a couple of days. All my friends in health care say that what I felt is much better than getting shingles. I believe it.

I had covid, tested positive the day after we got home from vacation. I took paxlovid and although the taste in the mouth was icky, I think it helped  me to get over it fast. My symptoms were gone after three days. 

I’m planning to get my covid booster this month as well as my flu shot. Since I do have a reaction my doctor said to get just one at a time.

I am in a high risk age group, 72, but have no underlying medical conditions. 

I took the shingles vaccine about a year ago. No issues whatsoever. My mother had shingles. I saw what she went through firsthand. This is the one vaccine I would seriously consider if you are age 50 or older. HTH!

Why are there so many autoimmune diseases in humans? Could it be humans inject "immunity" chemicals directly into the body?

Just asking.

Edited by [...]

• 3 months later...