Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Hydroxyzine

[Ch...]

Who has used hydroxyzine and did it help?

im on day 4 of a taper. My worst symptoms are a tight chest, rapid heartbeat, headache and fear. It feels like I’m always having a panic attack. I was on 1.5 mgs of Ativan for 2 years. 

Hello @[Ch...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Are you sure you mean Hydroxyzine? Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine, and 4mg would be a very small and unusual dose. As far as I am aware, there are no withdrawal effects associated with Hydroxyzine.

It is sometimes prescribed for its sedating effects - indeed, I have been prescribed for this reason. I rarely take it because it quickly becomes ineffective. But it can be great in the very short term a few days, or a week or two.

Please confirm your medication and dose.

I was given Hydroxyzine when I was inpatient to years ago. I took it for a week or two and I felt groggy so I stopped. I am currently tapering Klonopin and I’m in a wave two weeks ago I tried taking a few doses of 10 mg and they gave me a very strange feeling of anxiety, but also an elevated state that felt uncomfortable. And then cause me to have intense crying episodes that last days each time that I took it.  I’m not sure if it did that two years ago when I took it. My point being some people can do well with it and some react to it like every other supplements and drug there is. For me, it didn’t give me enough benefit to be worth how bad it made me feel. But you could be completely different. Tread lightly. 

I logged on to see if it helped anyone as well. The first month or two after quitting Klonopin was the worst for me, so everything you are going through is normal. It's no fun, even though I still took a little Trazodone. I saw a naturopath and started taking PS 100, Valerian root and some other things. They helped a little, sleep was the hardest for me.

I am currently trying the Hydrozyzine at 25 mg and also a small amount of Trazodone. So far I wake up a lot at night and it stays with me all day, feel drowzy. That said, it's helping me sleep. Not sure I'll stay on it long term.