Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Mexidol

[Ha...]

This has been mentioned a couple of times in the past, but doesn't seem to be that popular. So I thought I'd give it a try, why not, I've tried everything else 😁.

Mexidol is a brand name for Emoxypine, which apparently has a better effect than the generic. It's a Russian medication derived from B6 and has various brain benefits, including normalising GABA.

"It can modulate the activity of certain neurotransmitter receptors, such as benzodiazepine, GABA, increasing their binding ability."

https://holisticnootropics.com/3-oxypyridine/

I tried a full dose of 125mg a few weeks ago, and it was too much for me. Increased my pain and a little stimulating, so wrote it off and added it to my ever growing collection of supplement I'll never use.

But then a few days ago I thought I'd try a smaller dose. Did a 1/4 for 3 days and just went up to 1/2. Well I'm pretty impressed to be honest. It's nothing too calming like a lot of herbs, don't feel too relaxed and tired. It's more of a subtle feeling of not being stressed. Still have some head pressure unfortunately, but I think I'll be continuing with it and will keep you all informed 

I tried Mexidol pretty extensively. It's basically a modified form of B6.

When I first tried it, I thought it was helping. But, as time went on it seemed to lose the effect. And that's something that I see with some regularity on people that try this compound (even people that aren't using for post benzo releated issues).

Either it was helping and there is some sort of tolerance mechanism that causes the effect to diminish with time (not uncommon), or I "placebo'ed" myself and mentally I couldn't maintain the effect with time (pretty sure I've done that on occasion with things I've tried).  If you made be chose I'd probably bet that it was actually doing something but there was some sort of tolerance effect.

It's worth a try. The only thing I'll add is that if you're someone that has tried B6 and had an adverse effect with it (some of us do) then you might want to proceed with some caution.

Thanks for the input @[Na...]. Not sure if it revved me up a bit today. But as usual for me it could be a number of things, I'll keep going with it for now. I think I've seen it mentioned on Reddit about tolerance, so it wouldn't surprise me at all 

I know that people that have issues with B6 tend to complain about it revving them up. 

I don't think Mexidol ever did that to me, but unfortunately I couldn't get the positive benefits to stick it seems. I may go back and try it again though. It's been years since I touched it and maybe it would be effective again. If there is some issue with building tolerance maybe it could be effectively cycled.

• Like 1