Important Survey - Please Participate ×

We talk about Healing but what is really happening...

[...]

What is the brain doing when it's healing... Can anyone explain in laymen terms what the brain is doing? Is it making new connections, new cells forming?

I just want to understand better what's going on and why this process hurts so much.

If there is a thread that explains this, that will do to!

Thanks

I don't know what Ashton was thinking, but, not to be a downer here, I see no logic whatsoever behind saying that symptoms = healing. One would assume we cannot "feel" healing. Symptoms we are feeling are dysfunction of the GABA system, not enough GABA activity and too much glutamate.

However you can also assume that symptoms mean that your brain is being coaxed into healing and that symptoms could very well coincide with healing...

What is the brain doing when it is healing, well, it needs more properly functioning GABA receptors. I'm not sure that this has ever been quantified in what this exactly means, broken receptors being fixed, new neurons altogether, new connections, or simply new receptors on existing neurons, and I am fairly certain anyone who answers the question is just providing conjecture.

It's interesting because this passed weekend, I had two full days of feeling fine and now I feel the WD again. I can manage but I don't understand this process.

My brain gets it right and then starts up again with WD? Don't get it...

[76...]
It's interesting because this passed weekend, I had two full days of feeling fine and now I feel the WD again. I can manage but I don't understand this process.

My brain gets it right and then starts up again with WD? Don't get it...

The entire process in nonlinear. I was feeling horrible at 45mg of Valium, when I got down to 30mg, I felt 2 months of no withdrawal.

It came back, then went away again.

It's as if it's within cycles, cycloids, etc,...

In time we all heal, as it cycles itself out.

"the GABA receptors will slowly restore to their normal levels of excitation and inhibition."

So this article is saying that receptors will begin to their normal level, is that existing or new ones, very interesting

Sigma, i do get the sense of something "cycling out"... What an odd process...

For what it is worth, my GP doc commented that our GABA receptors get saturated or dampened by using benzos and they need time to "dry out."  I asked him if new receptors were being created during the healing process, and definitively, he said no.  Not sure if this is accurate or not.

Lu, I won't begin to act like I understand how the brain heals during withdrawal and how long it will take, but in my opinion, the fact that you had two consecutive days of feeling good might mean that you are getting closer to being your normal self.  I am starting to have some 1-2 hour windows every once in a while and I have been telling myself that better days are ahead, and sometimes I actually believe it.  Hang in there!

Rico, glad you are seeing some windows... 

I work with computers so I am used to seeing patterns, I realize now that my life is one big pattern.

This WD crap is not a pattern... 

But, Im learning a lot about myself and those lessons are invaluable.

I've always imagined the GABA receptors healing looking like blades of grass that have been dampened down by heavy rain.  Over time, it's as if our receptors just pop back up one by one.  I wonder, too, if some of the receptors that pop back up are a bit misshapen and cannot work, as well.

But overall, I believe the vast majority of us completely recover and even if a small portion of the receptors have damaged their shape, I think overtime our brain compensates somehow.